• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I am starting my search for an O/U 12 gauge. Once I find one, I will sell my 1100.
    I am leaning towards Browning but I am also a Weatherby fan. Browning prices are all over the board. Where do I begin to sort out the variations. I want a good gun to shoot trap with - maybe a bird hunt?

Thanks in advance?

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Been there done that...The best way is to go to a gun club and shoot the other guys guns that you might be interested in..Most shooters are more than glad to let you shoot a round with their gun...and you might find a deal from one of the guys that is 'overstocked'. The O/Us kick a lot more than the 1100 and when hunting every time you shoot even once you have to break the gun open to reload..that is when the other birds always seem to flush.. but the O/U are reliable shot to shot and they make it easy to catch the shells.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    There is a saying: "Brownings don't wear out, they wear in". You get what you paid for. A Trap gun is very different from a bird gun. I have a Browning O/U for Trap that I would never take bird hunting; it's too heavy to carry in the field all day. I'm shooting 500 - 600 round per month for Trap. What will you do more of, Trap or Hunting?

You can use a field gun for Trap, but if you are serious about Trap than get a gun designed for Trap.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    If you are close to Indy, go to the Indiana Gun Club. You can look at many choices and you can shoot their used guns to see if you like them. I use my 1100 for trap and skeet, I also have a Browning 525 that is great for skeet, trap and sporting clays. I decided to keep my 1100 after getting my browning, the 1100's are just fun to shoot.

Indiana Gun Club

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I own a Weatherby and I've always been very happy with it. I've had it pheasant hunting in Kansas and broken many birds on the Indiana Gun Club's sporting clays range. Unfortunately it's been sitting idle in my safe for many years as my interests have gone more toward long range shooting.

Just pulled it out and took some pics

IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A 28" Citori might be a good all arounder.
    I had a 30" magnum and it worked well for trap, dove and geese.
    But it shot a little high for my old flat Remington taste.
    I went back to an 1100 Magnum.
    Lots easier to shoot triples on honkers ;)

Shibby575

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    NE IN
    Buy something that you'll have access to parts. Some of the new cheaper o/u's prices look appealing, but you cant find a part for them.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    If you are going to shoot trap occasionally, any shotgun that fits you will work. If you are going to shoot trap a lot I would recommend a dedicated trap gun. I have a Browning XT trap, and it will last forever. I also have a 1100, I put a Hastings hi-rib trap barrel, and a MC stock on, for trap, but usually shoot the Browning. I also have a Ithaca 51 trap, but parts are scarce. Browning Cynergys are popular also, and are well built.

Dave

Top Bottom