• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VGFsirius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2013
    Carmel
    The Scout Camp I work/worked for has potentially come into possession of Winchester 555 22.lr Supersonic Hollow points. Does anyone have experience with these? Are they reliable, or do that have a high failure rate? They will be shot out of Kimber Model 82 Gvnt's and Anschütz benchrest target rifles. These are single shot bolt action rifles.

Your opinions will be much appreciated.

-James
    RSR Search and Research Committee

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    out of a single shot bolt action you shouldn't have any problems... failures due to ammo should be minimal with most modern manufactured ammo. I would not trust them to run semi automatics reliably.

VGFsirius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2013
    Carmel
    We also have a pistol range.
    You would not use them in a Ruger Mk 2?
    Is the issue that they don't feed reliably, or that they don't eject and cycle properly sometimes?

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I've shot about 3 bricks as of late and believe it or not, I've had no failures of any kind with them. They were fired from a Ruger MKII, Henry lever and a GSG STG44. While I wouldn't rate them as premium ammo, they get the job done out of the bricks I've shot.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have had decent luck with the 555's and 333's.... They have worked in (2) different Ruger mark II's and also my Walther P22...

I would prefer Federals bulk pack or the CCI blazers, but personally I found the Winchesters to work better then the Remington bulk through MY guns...

You won't know for sure until you try some through your gun...

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I've had less trouble with Winchester bulk 22's than any other brand, however in my experience semi-auto 22's can be very picky. What works best in mine does not work best in my friends 10/22. His prefers Federal, my uncle's 22 pistol prefer's CCI. Like XtremeVel said, you won't know for sure until you try it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    In 22lr I only have semi-autos, so my experience is limited to those. I use Winchester bulk a lot, especially recently because it's been the most available.

Before the ammo shortage it seemed to perform like you'd expect from bulk .22lr. You can't expect the reliability of CCI mini-mags, but the Winchester would generally feed well, and almost always go bang. I'm not sure if it's just my bad luck or if Winchester's quality standards have changed, but I've gone through several boxes purchased in 2013 and it consistently disappoints.

One issue I've noticed is that the rim dimensions don't seem to be very consistent. I have a M&P 16-22 in which I no longer run the Winchester. They tend to get stuck in the mags.

I recently purchased a Ruger MkIII and I opened a new box of Winchester to test it out. If it'll run the Winchester, it'll probably run most anything. Of ~200rds I had several fail to fire, on average ~1 per mag. I suspect the MkIII may not be striking the rim hard enough. They seemed to fire more consistently in my SR22, though I still had the usual feed issues that I normally get running the Winchester in the SR22.

I ran several mags of Federal bulk through the MKIII that range trip just to compare and it ran flawlessly. The MKIII may not be striking the rim as hard as the SR22, but it does just fine with the federal.

So at this point, at least for the guns I shoot, I have a low opinion of Winchester bulk, which seems to diminish with each new box I open. With bolt action rifles you may not have any problems.

cubbetm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    My 597 hates it. Always have problems with feeding and failure to extracts. So much so that I installed a vq extractor and it still gives me problems. Never with any other ammo though.

In my single shots however it works just fine

Top Bottom