• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Pro-tip: Turn the phone off while you're charging. That way, it's not discharging at the same time and you won't have to crank as long.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    But if you turn the phone off, you can't monitor the phone charge. You might be too slow or too long.
    I think I like a solar charger better.
    For small emergencies I have a car battery in the garage hooked up to a trickle charger.
    I use that to charge cell phones thru an inverter. You can get a lot of charges off it. You can recharge through solar, a working car, or a genny.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    But if you turn the phone off, you can't monitor the phone charge. You might be too slow or too long.

True, but you can crank for an hour and then turn it on to check the battery level (or use a multimeter). Also, if you have to do this more than once, it's easy enough to work it out from the first charging so that you can estimate when it's fully charged. Either way, it beats cranking for three hours if you only have to crank for two.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    If you have to do that just to charge your phone you have more serious problems. I can see how this would have other applications though. I wonder if a bicycle could be used

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you have to do that just to charge your phone you have more serious problems. I can see how this would have other applications though. I wonder if a bicycle could be used

Would have been useful during the floods on the east coast when lots of people had no power. The cell systems were still functional. I remember seeing pictures of houses that did have power and they ran extension cords and power strips out to the sidewalks so people could charge their phones.

I imagine a bicycle would work extremely well, but you'd want some sort of output voltage regulator to avoid overloading the phone.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    True, but you can crank for an hour and then turn it on to check the battery level (or use a multimeter). Also, if you have to do this more than once, it's easy enough to work it out from the first charging so that you can estimate when it's fully charged. Either way, it beats cranking for three hours if you only have to crank for two.

I meant too fast or slow.
    The phone won't like too slow.
    And too fast you can damage the phone.
    Unless you design a regulator (or canabalize one).

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Just a few notes.

1) This does NOT work with the new brushLESS drills.

2) Every cell phone I've ever had shows some type of indication that it is being charged even when it's turned off.

3) Smart phone users, turn off your phone's GPS, Blue tooth, and wifi to help conserve the battery. My phone will go about 5 days with all that turned off and only about 10 hours with it turned on.

Top Bottom