• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    Went to the range this week with an older friend (a gent in his seventies). He had a 9mm Glock 19 and found it a bit much to handle. After talking with an instructor, and testing him with a few handguns, we've determined that a .22 is more his speed, and since semi auto is a bit of an issue (loading the magazines, racking the action...), and most double action revolvers are a bit tough on the trigger pull, we've come down to a single-action .22 as the ideal.

Can anyone recommend anything specific?

I'm starting to look at the Ruger Bearcat, but I do have concerns that the "cowboy look" might not be what he really wants.

Yeah, I know. Not an easy issue to deal with, but I'd love to have any help y'all can offer.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I cannot think of a single action revolver that is not "cowboy look" The Ruger is a good piece. Like said above, if looks are important, get a double action and cock it each shot to shoot single action.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Take a look at the S&W MP 22. I know it is not a SA revolver, but I think you might find it light enough for your friend to handle. The mages are very easy to load, due to the light spring and the thumb knob to hold the spring down. Very easy to load.

Also, it is very easy to rack the slide. The spring is very, very light. I think it would be doable for an old guy. I thought about getting one for my father, who is 86. His hands are stiff and weaker than he wants to admit, but I know he could handle it.

Check it out. Smith & Wesson M&P 22 Review: Should You Buy One - YouTube

Just a thought. Good luck to you and your friend.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Yes double action S&W. Much easier to load with hands that are not as flexible as they use to be. I shoot all my double action revolvers single action due to age and arthritis, plus .22 ammo is small and troublesome to put in a gate load. And double actions are very to clean.

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    Ruger single six or single ten would be my thoughts, I've got the six wish I had the ten. But I think the .327 fed magnum loaded with .32 s&w longs or shorts would do the trick also, that's my next purchase anyhow. Good luck with the search

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have to agree that the Ruger is the best single action 22 you will find. If money is an issue, I have a Heritage that has served me well, just not as smooth or substantial as the Rugers are.

As far as eliminating the DA revolvers and most auto 22s, you might want to look into them a little deeper. Every 22LR auto that I own has a thumb button on the Mag, and they are actually quite easy to load. The slide is typically very easy to operate as well, as the springs on the 22 arent required to be that heavy. A good DA revolver would be a bit easier to load, and as long as it had an exposed hammer, could still be shot in SA mode, making the long trigger pull a non-issue.

tk71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    ECI
    You could also look at a beretta model 21 or Taurus model 22 with pop up barrel makes putting round in the chamber easier. I have the Taurus and mine is a good pistol.

mmamom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    muncie
    I have the Taurus PT-22 with tilt up barrel, I love it. I have small hands, and had problems racking a slide, it is easier with my taurus. It may help with the problems older persons have with hands that are weak or just can't pull to load. I'm new here myself, but hope my input would help.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    Went to the range this week with an older friend (a gent in his seventies). He had a 9mm Glock 19 and found it a bit much to handle. After talking with an instructor, and testing him with a few handguns, we've determined that a .22 is more his speed, and since semi auto is a bit of an issue (loading the magazines, racking the action...), and most double action revolvers are a bit tough on the trigger pull, we've come down to a single-action .22 as the ideal.

Can anyone recommend anything specific?

I'm starting to look at the Ruger Bearcat, but I do have concerns that the "cowboy look" might not be what he really wants.

Yeah, I know. Not an easy issue to deal with, but I'd love to have any help y'all can offer.

I would reconsider this complete disqualification of the semi auto. Did he try any 22 semi autos?

My Ruger SR22 is about a thousand times easier to rack and load than a Glock 19, or virtually any 9mm for that matter.

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    He did try a couple of .22 semi autos. He just can't seem to get a handle on magazines and racking. (Actually, not sure if I even WANT him with a gun, but... not my call.)

Thing is, he wants something that can be CC'ed for when he vacations down south -- and cowboy action guns don't take well to CC'ing. I like the idea of a lighter frame S&W-type with an exposed hammer, so he *can* single-action it.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions!

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The S&W M&P-22 slide is so easy a baby could do it. I think the Ruger SR-22 and Walther P-22 are probably as easy. But I know for a fact that the M&P is 10x easier to rack than its 9mm equivalent. It also seems to have an aluminum slide instead of steel, so it is very light. But I will say that all of the semi automatic pistols I just mentioned are complicated to field strip and clean, or at least much more so than their 9mm equivalents. And I don't imagine an older fellow would want to spend his time fiddling with it.

I would recommend checking out one of those pistols with the POPUP BARRELS mentioned in previous posts. A revolver in SA or DA is more cumbersome to reload than a magazine, and especially so with tiny 22lr bullets.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    If you haven't tried a Ruger 22/45, my guess is it won't be difficult for him to operate. The slide is fixed and the bolt is pretty easy to pull back and rack.

Top Bottom