• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I am going to start reloading my 223 rounds. And the bullets are from Speer, their 62 gr bullets. The powder is Benchmark. Now, how much powder do I need for the 62 gr bullet? I googled and got start with 23 (Low) up to 25.5(High). Does it sound right to you?

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Thank for your reply. In my book, it didn't mention anything Benchmark too! But my book is older, it's a Speer reloading manual Vol. 12. Or I should use AA 2230 instead. According to the book, it's designed for the 223 rem. or similar one.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    powder

hodgdon.com did not see 62 grain speer. i have used data for different bullets of the same wieght alot of times with no problems just start on the low side and you will be fine.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Sounds right to me. Start out low and work up. About 3000 to 3100 fps for a 62 grain bullet should be about what you are aiming for.

Folks say watch for pressure signs, but pressure is hard to read with the 223, looking at fired primers and measuring the case.

Velocity never lies.

Use a chronograph to watch velocity to perfect the appropriate powder charge. You may reach a point where adding powder does not increase velocity. When that happens, immediately back off. Then look for a powder charge that results in a consistant velocity and small group on the target.

It is tough to overload the 223 with too much powder with any of the rifle powders, but I'm sure it can be done.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I think I'd start with 24 gr of benchmark with the Speer 62 gr bullet. And hopefully Speer would have a answer for me soon. Also have to wait for my wife to go out before I can use the kitchen counter to do so. :rolleyes: Oh, also picked up 1,000 primer from Cosner and the benchmark powder. Saved on the Hazard material cost on the shipping. ($22) yuck!!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Without published loads, you are pretty much on your own here. Different guns and chambers behave differently. Most companies recommend a 5-10% reduction from published powder charges and work your way up slowly. No offense intended, but getting loads off the internet isn't the best way to start with an untested recipe IMHO. If it were me, I'd try some published loads, which may mean buying some lighter weight bullets to start with, or buying a different powder for your 62 gr. bullets. Good luck!

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I went to Hodgdon website and checked, they don't have the data for the 62 gr but they have 63 gr. So I emailed them and asked for the data. Let's see what they say when they reply. I am in no hurry to jump into the bench yet. I just like to play it safe. Thanks for all the replies.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    powder

Without published loads, you are pretty much on your own here. Different guns and chambers behave differently. Most companies recommend a 5-10% reduction from published powder charges and work your way up slowly. No offense intended, but getting loads off the internet isn't the best way to start with an untested recipe IMHO. If it were me, I'd try some published loads, which may mean buying some lighter weight bullets to start with, or buying a different powder for your 62 gr. bullets. Good luck!
    that is why i directed him to hodgdons web site:rolleyes:

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Yes, and thank you. I downloaded the loading data from their website for Benchmark powder only. And I am waiting for their reply on the 62gr bullet.

Oh, darn it. The 62 gr that I ordered is backorder. So, I ordered something that they have in stock. The Hornady 55 gr bullet. That should be in the data list I downloaded.

Last edited:

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    No worry, the 62 gr is in backorder and I have no clue how long it takes to get it. So I ordered 1,000 Hornady 55 gr which is in stock. There is a data for the 55 gr in the Hodgdon data list.:yesway:

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I will once I get everything I ordered, bullets are on their ways, primer tool should be soon, and shell holders too. Then I will have to wait for my wife to go out and start reloading. Well, maybe not. Since I am the only one who work here, she doesn't have much say what I can do or not. :yesway:

7mm Magnum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Michigan
    dtkw,... I have a reloading software / ballistics software program and it does list the 62 grain Speer FMJ projectile in its list of various projectiles. I ran your proposed recipe through it and I need to emphasize that you should NOT exceed a powder charge of 22.6 grains of the Benchmark powder in this recipe.

I will list below the stats the software produced for me using the MAX load figure of the 22.6 grains

Projectile: 62 grain (.224) SPEER FMJ #1050
    Powder: Hodgdon Benchmark @ 22.6 grains (1.7% compressed load)
    COAL = 2.260
    CL = 1.759
    Muzzle Velocity = 3005 fps
    projectile energy = 1243 ft. lbs
    Ballistic Efficiency = 29.5%
    Barrel Length = 24 inches

Chamber Pressure = 54,340 PSI (MAX= 55,000 PSI)

If and when you do receive your 62 grain Speer projectiles and you decide to load them please follow the above information as if you plan on using your original formula you posted you'd already be exceeding the Max load with your listed minimum charge weight.

I hope this helps some,...

(PS,.. to whomever posted the signage about "my keyboard being jammed" not so. I've just been REALLY busy of late. Haying season, and getting things ready for my Wyoming elk hunt next month. I own a 80 acre farm and horses so I need the hay for their feed for the winter)

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Oh thanks, I always use a little less than max load. If it say 22.6, I probably just use no more than 22.0 or 21.5 gr. of Benchmark. What software is that? Pretty useful for reloading. BTW, I probably start with 21 gr. to see how it goes. Thanks again.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Well, I started reloading the 62 gr with your data. I put 22 gr, just short of .6gr of the max load. I measured every single one before I put the powder into the cases. So they should be more consisting. Thanks for your data. But my son messed up the depriming pin and I have to wait for the part to arrive sometimes this week to continue. Once I get 100 rounds done, I'd take it to the range to try them out.

Top Bottom