Need scope advice for a Remington 700 SPS Tactical 308win.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    Just order a Remington 700 SPS Tactical 308win. Will be used for target shooting at 100yrds for now but want something around $400 or less. Any advice would be nice.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Just order a Remington 700 SPS Tactical 308win. Will be used for target shooting at 100yrds for now but want something around $400 or less. Any advice would be nice.

what is the max range you intend to shoot
    what is the min range you intend to shoot
    how do you plan to adjust for longer range shots (holding or dialing)
    are you more of a hunting/tactical style shooter or a benchrest shooter.

shoot me a pm if you like or a email at alan@aaoptics.com

. i started my business to walk folks into the perfect scope for their purpose and their budget.

Last edited:

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    what is the max range you intend to shoot
    what is the min range you intend to shoot
    how do you plan to adjust for longer range shots (holding or dialing)
    are you more of a hunting/tactical style shooter or a benchrest shooter.

shoot me a pm if you like or a email at alan@aaoptics.com

. i started my business to walk folks into the perfect scope for their purpose and their budget.

Like the line of questions ... starting to dial right into what the end user needs.

The min range question, combined with shooting stationary or moving targets (i.e. hunting/tactical vs bench rest) determines the lower end power / field of view required. Plus as a secondary consideration the range of focus is one is shooting very close.

The maximum range helps determine the nominal higher end power, resolution (which in this case is in part fixed by cost limits), vertical adjustment range and if the end user needs 20 MOA off set bases.

Then you focus on if the end user wants external turrets and/or some type of mil dot off set systems (with a lot of options other than mil dots ;-).

Lastly if the end user is ranging with the scope, the various mil dots or measurement reticules are indicated.

Nicely done with a very limited set of to the point questions.

---------------------------

A side story if it does not confuse the discussion of my own limited experience over the last nearly four dozen years. In Michigan always went with the lower power the better for hunting (rifle, shotgun or muzzle loaders), liking the 1.5x5 or 1.75x6 Leupold scopes (old days not a lot around besides Leupold, Redfield, Weaver, low end Japaneses optics and very high end German optics with funny reticals ... plus a few target scopes with external ajustments) for hunting and the 3.5x10 adjustable objectives or X12 power fixed scopes for the sub 30 calibers. After years of shooting with the ten and twelve power scopes plus X24 to X36 fixed on bench rest rifles, started to use a little more power (6x18, 6.5x20 and 5.5x22) and found that off a bench the extra power was nice as you could call your own shots at 100 yards, helped a lot (if heat allowed) as the distance was measured in half dozen foot ball fields and that was in general a lot easier to shoot tiny groups. When a friend got me a Nightforece 5.5x22 for the Sako TRG-42 figured would never use the high end that much in Indiana, second time out reached to turn up the power from what I guessed was a nominal ten power and yup it was already at X22 and I was used to more power off the bench. Thus while I have fired many a sub half MOA group with the 3.5x10 Leupold's, it a lot less work/easier with double that power and even more so with higher resolution scope (remember I am still running 25 to 30 year old scopes on some guns that I picked up used when I worked at a gun store just out side the North gate of Crane NSWC ... every spring/early summer the rifles and scopes got traded for bird guns ...).

Noticed when shooting the M82A1 (50BMG) at a 100 yards, that at 10 power one could take a bit to find the soda cans (they do jump nicely) ... at that time was running a 3.5x10 that I "borrowed" from my Rem PSS 308 ... it now has a Leupold 4.5x14 that I got for the M82A1 (which is gone as the Sako grouped too much better and still worked to a mile out west) ... and some days think would like a little more power, since don't shoot that gun off any to speak of ... that is what the buzz guns are for ;-).

Well will turn the discussion back over to Alan, who I still owe a range trip to Old Trails so we can try his low power Vortex on the MM23eK belt gun ... which got another five thousand rounds incoming to be linked at under twenty cents a round (for some reason the store is now sold out ... did not leave a round on the shelf ;-).

Last edited:

btownie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2012
    Monroe County
    Funny, I have ordered this same rifle (same chambering) and was needing optics advice as well. I want to eventually get into longer distances though.

bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    i just bought that same rifel. i had a nikon prostaff 4-12x40 sitting around, i think i paid 200 for it new. it works perfect for this rifel. i am a big nikon fan thou

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom