• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joker7037

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Anybody willing to point me in the right direction to get my new sights installed on my XD sub compact 40. I heard the the XDs were a bear to swap sights. I would prefer some one local to Columbus area, but willing to travel for good work.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm sure someone can point you toward somebody closer to Columbus but this guy lives on the South side of Indy. He installed some Trijicon night sights on my Glock 21 for a fair price. Also a very knowledgeable person:

Jeff McHenry

Good luck!

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Elmore's in greenwood did my sights in about 10 minutes for $15. I don't have an xd but an FNP. One shop wanted to send it out and another I went to only did glocks.

jdg0724

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Plainfield
    XD sights can be a pain to remove. I took my subcomopact to my lgs and the guy broke his sight tool trying to remove the factory sights. I dont know anyone locally who can do it but i sent my slide to this place: http://www.xd-hs2000.com. I highly reccommend him. I believe he is in Alabama but I had my slide back with new sights installed within 4 or 5 days. I believe I paid around $25 or so dollars. They specialize in XD sight installation.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    XD sights can be a pain to remove. I took my subcomopact to my lgs and the guy broke his sight tool trying to remove the factory sights. I dont know anyone locally who can do it but i sent my slide to this place: http://www.xd-hs2000.com. I highly reccommend him. I believe he is in Alabama but I had my slide back with new sights installed within 4 or 5 days. I believe I paid around $25 or so dollars. They specialize in XD sight installation.

I can do just as good of job as him, for the same price. it seems silly to me that someone would ship a slide to get sights put on.

JDubb

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Frankfort IN
    I could not find anyone to change my front sight on my tactical. The service and compacts can use the tool. I would be interested in it if you can do a tactical slide!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I could not find anyone to change my front sight on my tactical. The service and compacts can use the tool. I would be interested in it if you can do a tactical slide!

yes, i can do the tactical. 25 dollars to change the sights out on an xd, plus return shipping if its needed. 1 week turnaround from the day i get it.
    USPS prefered since the post office is a mile from my house, but UPS is a LONG ways away.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I can do just as good of job as him, for the same price. it seems silly to me that someone would ship a slide to get sights put on.

Saved a trip to Indy for me. I didn't trust anyone local to me with the notoriously tough XD sights.

Also, since I purchased the sights there, the install was free and it was less than $6 to send the slide USPS.

I'd give you my business if I was closer. :yesway:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I didn't trust anyone local to me with the notoriously tough XD sights.

i guess thats a good reason to ship it..... i have seen a gunsmith break a brownells hammer in half at the thin part of the hardwood handle trying to knock xd sights out before he gave me the slide and had me install them.

even with my fantastic sight pusher, kroil, and knowlege, its still somewhat of a nerveracking experience. ALOT of pressure, and a loud snap when they break free.

I tape the slide off to prevent ANY metal to metal contact, shim all anchor points w/ buisiness cards that other companies are so nice to let me have for free, and make sure everything is perfect before i start. once they are out, i can fit the new sights back in to be installed like your typical sight, tight, but not so tight that you need a sight pusher to move them in case the user needs to adjust their own sights.

jdg0724

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Plainfield
    I agree, however, none of the gun shops around the Plainfield area would install the XD sights. I always like to keep my business local if all possible. I guess Springfield puts their sights on with some kind of hydraulic press that makes them very hard to take out; at least thats what I've been told by a few different people at different gun stores.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    IGW - what kind of fantastic sight pusher do you have? I've got a couple of Kahr's to do and I've ordered a universal pusher. I will give that and some Kroil a go at it. Just in case it doesn't work, I'm curious what kind of pusher you recommend. And I know - some are prohibitively expensive! As I've heard, Kahr's are in the same league as Springfield with regards to being notoriously tight.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    IGW - what kind of fantastic sight pusher do you have?

Not tellin

Just in case it doesn't work, I'm curious what kind of pusher you recommend.

Me

Ever mount Big dots on a CZ? According to XS's web site you have to file the front sight to fit a cross pin. DO you think the 75B sights will fit a P-01? If you can do it I have another slide to ship you

XS Sight Systems - Sights

Never done it, dont know if the dovetail is the same or not, but chances are if its a dovetail i can do it.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    IGW - Fair enough . I've just called all around Southern Indiana and heard my share of "yeah - I use a hammer and a punch"... And when the Kahr instructions start off with "DON'T use a hammer and a punch..." You begin to worry about what's gonna happen to your beast when you leave it with them. Hopefully that makes sense.

I'm not trying to pry any trade secrets out of anybody - and I mean that honestly. I just want to know that someone's not gonna go "Homer, Cleetus, and Jethro" on my weapon...

And I've asked SEVERAL sponsors of this site - down in the South here. They either don't do it (I can respect that) - or wanted to use a hammer and a punch. :eek:

If for any reason I can't get it, using a legitimate setup, I'll certainly be on my way to Indy. I was trying to avoid that long of a trip.

Thanks.

Top Bottom