• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I have a 16" .300 BLK that I'd like to suppress. This suppressor won't be leaving this rifle as I have no plans to suppress anything else that I own. This is my first NFA transaction and more than likely my only one(that's what they all say, I'm sure). Basically, I'm looking for the suppressor with the biggest sound reduction for the money. I realize that weight and size are things that I should think about, but it won't matter how light or short the thing is if it doesn't give me the desired results. The two that I am currently looking at are the YHM Phantom 7.62 and the Kestrel 9. They are almost identical to each other in price. HTA doesn't give any information on how much the decibel reduction is, so I'm not sure how it compares to the 32 db reduction of the Phantom. I believe the Phantom also comes with a QD mount included in the cost.

I'm also open to other suggestions in that price range (<$600) that would be competitors. Obviously weight and size are factors for me like stated above, but sound reduction is definitely the primary focus. Help a new guy out.

beeeman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Make sure you get a suppressor you can take apart, you might find yourself shooting a lot of subsonic lead projectiles

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Also consider availability. As far as I know, Kestrel 9s haven't started shipping. You could easily be waiting on it this time next year if you aren't even able to buy it for a few months.

M4_556

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Another huge question is are you going to ever shoot supersonic? If not a well made 9mm can is in your range and could serve other purposes. If so, go with a light, well made 308 can (AAC cyclone K?).

M4_556

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Almost forgot - do yourself a favor - don't buy a really heavy can. 16" setup + heavy can = miserable. My M4-2000 on a 14.5 feels like a musket.

in812

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I've a got a gemtech 9mm multimount for mine if you want to shoot one before you buy one
    BTW 16" 300 blk is crazy quiet as quiet as a supressed 22 imo i had a 10.5 but couldnt get it as quiet as i liked

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Thread Jack

I've a got a gemtech 9mm multimount for mine if you want to shoot one before you buy one
    BTW 16" 300 blk is crazy quiet as quiet as a supressed 22 imo i had a 10.5 but couldnt get it as quiet as i liked

Sorry for the thread jack, but wanted to ask...

Are you saying that your 16" was quieter than the 10.5" with subs? I have an 8.5" that I completed but have yet to shoot. Reason I built it was to force myself into a 7.62 can and subsonic rounds.

Thanks... on with the regularly posted thread

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Here is a video of my 300 blackout with YHM phantom suppressor. The YHM is big and heavy but suppresses very well. It does very well in a sub caliber role too. It's quick detach which is very handy, but only if you plan on using it on multiple rifles.

Only draw back is the weight. As one person previously mentioned, these bigger cans can really weigh down the front of your rifle.

Just an FYI, I did have to replace the buffer and spring to get it to cycle reliably.

[ame]http://youtu.be/TovLf0FJhdM[/ame]

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    I've built two 300 wtf, first one was a 16" barrel and it was crazy quiet. My current one is a Noveske 10.5" and it is quiet, but noticeably louder than the 16". I still prefer the 10.5 thought because 16" plus can is awkward at best.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    This will be used with a bipod 90% of the time so weight is a secondary concern for me. I'm probably going with the Kestrel 308 incase anybody was wondering.

Last edited:

in812

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Sorry for the thread jack, but wanted to ask...

Are you saying that your 16" was quieter than the 10.5" with subs? I have an 8.5" that I completed but have yet to shoot. Reason I built it was to force myself into a 7.62 can and subsonic rounds.
    yes the shorter bbl makes a LOT more noise
    I got to shoot a 16" before i started my build but i went with 10.5 bbl boy was that a mistake couldnt get it as quiet went through dozens of loads 8-9 powders trying to get it as quiet as the 16" it cant be done I ended up buying a 16" bbl

IMO
    looking back i should have went with 458 socom i though the 300blk with 10.5 would be great it's not all it cracked up to be if i'm going to have to have 16" bbl might as well have the heaver bullet
    military over looked the 300 and went with 458 for a reason

ShootinIron

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Martinsville
    300 Blk

You have a lot of choices in, 9mm, .45, and 308 cans for the 300 Blk. I have the 300 Blk in S&W (AR), H&R, and AAC. (also use a .308 with sub-sonic). Best I have tried for a quite take apart can that will take it all (super-sonic 300 Blk, and hot .308) and really quite with 300 Black and Whisper rounds is the Thompson Machine "THIRTY" The problem with the 9 and 45 cans (besides not being as quite (IMO), is that if you decide you want hotter than the sub-sonic Blk, such as super-sonic 300 Blk, and standard or hot .308 is that the 9mm and .45 cans won't take the pressure. The 30 cal (.308) cans are bigger and heaver but worth it.

Top Bottom