• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nismoz33

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Lawrenceburg HVL
    I am aware of the process of building the SBR & at what point I need to submit the paperwork for the stamp. My question comes from the possibility of sharing a lower with my father.

Here is the process I have in mind & want to know what I am missing.

1. Obtain stripped lower.
    2. Get Lower engraved.
    3. Build lower.
    4. Attach SBR upper.

Here is where the complication comes in to play. I was planning on building an AR pistol with a 11.5" upper. My dad wants a 16" upper & a stock on the lower. We want to share the lower & both be able to legally possess & shoot the gun using either upper. We will normally both be together when the gun is being shot.

Should we setup a Trust so that we both can possess the lower legally? What way would the Trust need to setup for this to be legal? What would need to be engraved on the lower for this?

Please help me figure this out. If it is a simpler process, should I just build a lower with the stock & utilize a 16" upper & then deal with having it engraved later & do the SBR paperwork after that? If doing this, that would delay when I could possess the 11.5" upper legally correct?

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    If you put a stock on it with the 11.5", then you need a stamp. If you will only ever have it as a pistol, no stamp. If you are building an SBR, I would say go with a trust, just in case your dad wants to shoot it without you present.

Alternately, buy/build another lower. The upper is the expensive part, and he is buying that either way.

Top Bottom