• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    So Im looking at a Harley Sportster 1200... Rode it yesterday, amazing.

It is a 2002, 4007 (yes, four thousand and 7) miles, Screaming Eagle exhaust and kit... Clean other than a little flaking on the casing (I guess this was a common problem that year, but the owner didnt notice in time)... If I buy it, I will be the third owner.

Like I said, I rode it and holy crap I fell in love. I elarned on a sport bike (Ninja), so Harley is a new platform for me (we are looking for something comfortable, and something that I wont do 130 or wheelstands thru town).

The feller is asking $4800..... Thoughts?

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    That seems a little high, unless it's had some goodies added to it. Did you see this one? http://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/mcy/3271941105.html
    There's more miles on it though.
    I had an 883, nice bike, but not great on longer out-of-state trips. The Sportsters are easier and cheaper to maintain and insure, better on gas, than the bigger Harleys of course! Are you sold on a Sportster, or what about any of the other Harleys? Sometimes a Dyna or Softail can be had for a good price, especially this time of year.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    That seems a little high, unless it's had some goodies added to it. Did you see this one? http://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/mcy/3271941105.html
    There's more miles on it though.
    I had an 883, nice bike, but not great on longer out-of-state trips. The Sportsters are easier and cheaper to maintain and insure, better on gas, than the bigger Harleys of course! Are you sold on a Sportster, or what about any of the other Harleys? Sometimes a Dyna or Softail can be had for a good price, especially this time of year.

Not sold on anything yet... Not in a big hurry to buy, but this is just one I have looked at/rode...

The one I mentioned is a Custom, has the Screaming Eagle kit, 2 different bars, forward controls, drop bar.. And I imagine I can get the price down if I try...

5O25Ha5Jd3I23Fb3L9c9bf412c7cbc875182c.jpg

5N95G55E43Fa3L53J6c9b36fd425dba2e1b01.jpg

2002 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL1200 Custom with only 4,005 miles and is in excellent condition. The bike has the Harley-Davidson Screaming Eagle exhaust with Stage 1 kit installed. Runs great and sounds awesome. Only flaw is the chrome plating is peeling on the primary cover as shown in the picture.

These are pics from his Craigslist ad as well as the little paragraph. And yes I have permission to have this on here, so dont hit me for some copyright crap.

Last edited:

2001FZ1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Indy
    Keep this in mind. The bike is 10 years old so there are several things that need to be done if you can't confirm they have been done recently. The brake fluid is probably bad. If it is black, change it. The tires are probably junk due to age not wear - hard and dry rotted. The forks need to be rebuilt because the oil inside is 10+ years old.
    At least you don't have to worry about changing the coolant....

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Keep this in mind. The bike is 10 years old so there are several things that need to be done if you can't confirm they have been done recently. The brake fluid is probably bad. If it is black, change it. The tires are probably junk due to age not wear - hard and dry rotted. The forks need to be rebuilt because the oil inside is 10+ years old.
    At least you don't have to worry about changing the coolant....

The guy I talked to is the second owner. He bought it this spring, and had a pile of gaskets and other stuff done to it. He rattled off everything that had been done, but I was "in the zone" so to speak. He is a friend of the family, as well as very stand up in the community, church, etc.... Ive known him for a good while, and I dont think he could lie about what way the wind is blowing, let alone something like this. He is one of a select few people I do trust...

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Thanks for the input. Im not sold on paying 4800... Thats his original asking price. Im going over there again tomorrow, and we will talk some more.

Has anyone dealt with Harley Financial? I hear they are friggin awesome (one source).. Was wondering about some other people's experiences...

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thanks for the input. Im not sold on paying 4800... Thats his original asking price. Im going over there again tomorrow, and we will talk some more.

Has anyone dealt with Harley Financial? I hear they are friggin awesome (one source).. Was wondering about some other people's experiences...

If you can't pay cash for it... don't buy it....

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point

Unless you're buying from a dealer, hd financial isn't an option unfortunately.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I sold my bike, just like that one, for $3500 two years ago.

Also, the solid mount Sportsters are great around town but will REALLY beat you up out on the road. Just keep that in mind.

I'd love to have another for around town one day.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    $4800 is way salty for a sporty. You can find mid-level softails for that if you wait a month and it gets cold. I bought 3 last winter for mid $3000 dollar range with a lot of life left in them. Tires/brakes and a tune up. The folks that bought them ride the snot out of them. Sporty's are not long ride or 2 up oriented. They will beat the crap out of you.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Actually, it IS an option. A buddy of mine (that told me about HD FInancial) financed his used bike that he bought from a private seller with HD...

That's the Seller's Assist Program that's associated with HD Financial. Good to know, not that i plan on selling mine, but it's good to have helpful options! I often shop online for unsecured personal loans when i want to buy something like that. if your credit is decent, you may get a better rate. A lot of them won't finance older vehicles, so that's why the personal loan instead of auto...

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    STAY AWAY FROM H-D FINANCIAL!!

When my old man picked up his Screamin' Eagle he owed MORE after he made his first payment because their interest rates are so horrible. The only thing that makes them legal is the fact that they don't break your knees with ball bats anymore...

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    NADA list price for an HD Sporty 1200C

Low retail $3530.00 high retail $4645.00

I would start by offering $3500 and go up from there. I probaly wouldnt pay more than 4k for it personally, but that is up to you. Remember the sportys have a SMALL tank. Like SMALL, be prepared to fill up multiple times on long rides.

If It were me I would step up to a Heritage Softtail for a longer and more comfortable ride.

Motorcycle Price & Motorcycle Values | Used Motorcycles Value, ATV, Sidecars, Snowmobiles, Utility Vehicle Reviews | NADA Motorcycle Value Guides | NADAguides Book Values

NADA is pretty good to get an idea on used bikes value. Ive found them to be more accurate than KBB consistantly.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom