• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Years ago, I picked up a nearly new Norinco ATD .22 with a broken extractor 'finger' for a short song ($35). The seller attributed the break to it being "Chinese junk", but disassembly showed that he'd failed to clean the gunk from underneath it properly which caused it to stop pivoting as it should. This eventually battered the part into failing.

Unable to locate the Norinco part, I ordered a Browning replacement from Brownell's. It dropped in and works perfectly.

Since it shot so remarkably well and I had so little invested in it, I had a now-defunct gunsmithing outfit a bit north of Frankfort replace the factory open rear sight with a Marble's folding leaf and D&T the receiver for a Lyman 66A receiver sight. I also asked that he install a taller front, if necessary.

I got hosed. When I finally got it back (six freakin' weeks later) he hadn't replaced the front sight, as he assured me that he'd test fired it and it wasn't needed. I paid him his exhorbitant fee ($125 and I supplied the 66A) and took it home. When the weather allowed and I took it to my club's range to sight it in, it wouldn't feed even two rounds consecutively without jamming and POI was 6.5" high at 35 yds with the receiver sight bottomed-out. A quick field strip showed that the jams were due to his having failed to replace the cartridge stop on reassembly. "Test fired it" my aching patoot!

As he absolutely refused to correct this unless I paid him another $65/hr "shop time" fee, plus the cost of replacing the part HE'D lost, I was forced to chalk it up to bitter experience and warn everyone I knew against patronizing his shop. Bought a replacement from Brownell's again, dropped it in and that cured the malfs.

So there it sat in the back of the safe for the next four years. My original hope was to turn this into a compact, handy truck/camping/recreational tool. Now I'd like to just finally "get 'er done".

Two problems: First, the front sight dovetail is not only way oversized, but the factory blade is essentially 'cold welded' in place. They must've used some sort of hydraulic press to jam it in there as even soaking it repeatedly with several brands of penetrating oil, clamping it in a hefty, solidly mounted bench vice and whacking it hard with a variety of punches and a 16 oz hammer won't budge it so much as a mm. I'm pretty sure that it's going to require drastic measures to get it out. At this point, the most practical option for installing the FO replacement is bound to be some sort of J.B. Weld cobble job, but I'm sure that a more experienced third party can accomplish that better than my now-frazzled self.

As I'm also a lifelong southpaw (and if I'm going to have to enlist professional help anyway, why not do it up proper?) I've obtained a LH trigger for it. This is a necessity with this design in order to reverse the safety to suit me. But installing and fitting it is something I'm not really comfortable attempting as a DIY.

I would be extremely grateful and much obliged if any of you out there could point me towards an experienced and reliable gunsmithing shop within, say, 30-50 miles of Lebanon that I could contact about doing this.

Sorry for the ranting and rambling post. Just having a semi-crumby day. But many thanks for any help or advice you could offer!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Give either Havlin's a look-see (In Fayette, IN...a few miles north of Brownsburg on 267). Can find their web page online. He's INGOer Squirt239

INGOer AllenM MAY be able to help out. But he's much more of a 1911 guru than "traditional do it all gunsmith" - though his metal working skills are very good.

Can also look into Highsmith in Greenfield - though that's a trek from Lebtucky.

Hope you can find a 'smith to help!

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I could help with the trigger and front sight if you don't find any body closer. As far as the dovatail being to big there are front sights out there with over sized dovetails. Might be the way to go, I would have to see it to know for sure.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Ummm if the poi is 6.5" HIGH at 35 (with the rear sight "bottomed out"......Thats because You need to RAISE the rear sight to RAISE POI ! :ugh:

remauto1187: Actually, what I need to do is raise the front sight to lower the POI. If I'm already hitting 6.5" high with the rear at its lowest setting, then raising the rear sight will only make things worse. "Face-palm" right back atcha.

AllenM: As closely as I can measure it with an inexpensive digital calipher the front dovetail is about 0.444" at the base. It's also mighty shallow looking and the included angle different from our nominal standard. The factory front sight is roughly 0.4665" tall. I bought a Marble's FO front 0.532" which, if I'm calculating correctly, should be enough to at least get me into the right ballpark with maybe a little wiggle room.

If you'd be willing to take a look at it at your convenience, I'd be much obliged. I'm retired so my schedule's pretty flexible and Avon wouldn't be too much of a drive. If you'll kindly contact me via PM we can exchange contact info and work out the particulars. Many thanks!

Top Bottom