• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    Just ordered a little H&R .45-70 for my nephews and I to shoot. Only planning on shooting the 405gr lead bullets but want a light load to get them started. Has anybody tried using a powder like Red Dot, Green Dot or Unique? I want something that is no hotter than a trapdoor load or maybe even lighter. Just want to ease the boys into the .45-70 without bruising their shoulders.:D We will only be shooting at paper and milk jugs filled with water at ranges of 25 to 50 yards. I'm guessing a charge in the 10-12 grain range would get me close but I'd rather be sure. Thanks for any help.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    I have never used this data but it looks like what you want.

Lever Gun Performance Studies

I use trailboss for my reduced loads in my 45-70. I think the min loads of imr 4895 from the trap door data is also extremely mild. You could try that first before handing the rifle over to the youngsters.

Have fun with you family!

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    I have never used this data but it looks like what you want.

Lever Gun Performance Studies

I use trailboss for my reduced loads in my 45-70. I think the min loads of imr 4895 from the trap door data is also extremely mild. You could try that first before handing the rifle over to the youngsters.

Have fun with you family!

That is just what I'm looking for. Thanks a lot! The reason I'm looking at pistol and shotgun powders is that is what I have on hand. I was going to try trailboss but my local reloading supplier didn't have any. He didn't have much of anything.:D

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Didn't happen to buy a buffalo classic did you? One of those has been on my want list for a long time!

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    Didn't happen to buy a buffalo classic did you? One of those has been on my want list for a long time!

No it's just a standard H&R rifle. I have 2 others in .357 and .22 Hornet. They are fun little guns and just the thing for teaching my nephews the art of shooting.

jrclaxon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Marion
    Be careful with a very light load and a 405 gr bullet. I load 300 grain bullets with 27 grains of IMR 4198 for cowboy shooting. In addition I add 1/4 of a cotton ball over the powder to keep it against the primer. Just shove it in with a golf tee it fits perfect in the 45-70 case. True story, I killed a ground hog at 50 yards with this load in my Navy Arms High Wall, he wandered out at the wrong time:D. Keep in mind the "thump" is related as much with bullet weight as powder charge!

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    Be careful with a very light load and a 405 gr bullet. I load 300 grain bullets with 27 grains of IMR 4198 for cowboy shooting. In addition I add 1/4 of a cotton ball over the powder to keep it against the primer. Just shove it in with a golf tee it fits perfect in the 45-70 case. True story, I killed a ground hog at 50 yards with this load in my Navy Arms High Wall, he wandered out at the wrong time:D. Keep in mind the "thump" is related as much with bullet weight as powder charge!

I realize that the "thump" is related to bullet weight too but the "thump" of a bullet traveling at 900 or 1000fps is less than one at 1300 or 1400fps.:D It is also affected by the weight of the gun and the H&R is pretty light for a 45/70. I just want my nephews' first experience with a 45/70 to be fun and not painful. I only plan on shooting lead bullets and haven't really decided on the bullet weight yet. I'm leaning towards the 340 or 405 gr Lee bullet molds but haven't found anyone that has them in stock yet. Luckily I have a friend that casts everything from 300gr to 500gr so I don't have to wait to load some up. Thanks for the advice, every little bit helps.

kingpin1779

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    near covington
    45/70 loads

the lyman cast loading manual lists unique asa light cast load. i have used this with great success. you may find the throat might be a little shallow for those 400 grain bullets though. in the h%r rifles.:twocents:

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I use Unique for a light load and 4198 if I ever want to get some speed out of it. Never have chony'd the load though. I do nothing out of the ordinary with the Unique loads and I and one of my friends have shot hundreds of loads. The Lever Gun Performance Studies is the range I loaded at, but I took the advice of my friend on the specific load.

Top Bottom