Need some help from fello ingo'ers please.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    My wife was leaving for work yesterday. Before she goes to work she drops the kids off to daycare. So her and the boys were leaving to walk out and find someone in our backyard hiding behind our wood pile waiting for us to leave. The house next door has a apartment added to the garage. last month someone watched that house on a Sunday and waited for her to leave for church. They broke in and went threw everything and stole a number of things. The fact that my wife and kids walked out and very easily could have met face to face with this person. And this # 1. PISSES me off 2. Scares the hell out of me 3.Makes me want to do something to secure this property better.
    With that said this is where I would like to ask your help. I have decided to get a dog. I know Lisa isn't overly fond of the dog idea. But I am at the point where as the man of the house I have to do what is the best for this family. I cant be here 24/7 and if who ever this is watching houses is brave enough to break into a house, then how much farther will they take it and wait for me to leave and Lisa be home alone. So what I am looking for is #1. A Doberman #2.Rottweiler #3. German Shepard. If anyone knows of anyone who is wanting to rehome one of these dogs please please let me know.
    I have checked craigslist multiple times. Everything that seems to be on there is snatched up by places that say they are rescue places. But the one thing I have noticed that they all get these dogs and then charge people money to take them. Now I know not all of them are like this. But a lot of them I have found are. I am willing to pay some money for these breeds of dog but I cant afford hundreds of dollars for one. So please if you can help me out I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I don't know anyone who is currently trying to get rid of those types of dogs, but I hope you find one. I've had two Dobermans growing up till I was about 18. They are very protective when it comes to the family. The male we had was the nicest dog you ever wanted to meet but if you messed with one of us in the family or tried to get in the house without someone letting you in he did his job.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Before you get a dog ask yourself a couple of questions, are you going to love the dog as another member of the family, is your wife and kids going to love the dog and also treat it as a member of the family. If the answer is no then do yourself, your family, and the dog a favor and don't get one. If the answer is yes, than you might want to look at your local dog shelter and see what is available for adoption, it is usually cheaper going that route. If nothing at the shelter than look for a mix breed (mutt), they are also a cheaper way to go and make some of the best dogs!!

I was wondering if your wife called the police and gave them a description of the person or if they were caught?

rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I want this dog to be a member of the family but I also want it to protect the family that it belongs to. I have had many dogs and the only reason my wife isn't to fond of the idea is that she had a bad experience with a couple of dogs fighting and she is just nervous about it. I went to the shelter yesterday and looked at there adoptable dogs. If you want anything that doesn't have pit bull in it then its a waist of time.
    yes we called the cops. they came out and found no one walking around and the such. not a big surprise seeing how it was almost an hour after I called before anyone arrived.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    Unless you're renting and have to maybe try to find another place at some point, I would actually suggest maybe a pit bull. My friends have a few and they are some of the nicest and well-behaved dogs I've been around. Also when some junkie kicked in my friend's back door, his pits bit up the dude's hands and ripped a chunk out of his thigh, and then they stayed in the house as the guy ran off with the door hanging open waiting for my friend to come home. I just have a puggle that will howl like an alarm when people knock on the door or anything like that.

rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    im just not a fan of pit bulls. I know there is nothing wrong with them. a dog becomes who it is going to be the way it is raised. just not a fan.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    When we were looking for another dog a few years ago we looked in the peddler's post and found a nice lab mix for just a few dollars (Yes I know you aren't looking for a ferocious guard lab :D). Peddler's post always seemed to have quite a few dogs in it.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Just bear in mind that all 3 of the dogs you mentioned can affect your home owners or renters insurance. Most big dogs can. A midsize dog can do just as good a job. Check with your local humane society and see about adopting a dog. And get your wife her LTCH and a carry piece.

Duke Short

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Personally I like Chows But sounds to me like your best bet is a Shepard ( GSD ) ............. BUT keep in mind the "dog" should be a part of your family. Just as important as anyone else. If not , don't get the dog. Normally a GSD is a great all around dog and will do its job all by itself with little or no encouragement. Obedience training is high on the list for a large breed dog as long as you and the family do it. Just don't take it to "skule" . It's necessary to bond with said doggie, kinda like kids, wives guns etc. Good luck

rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I have owned rotts in the past had one I had to put down when hip dysplasia got so bad that she couldn't stand on her own anymore. the other got hit by a car when the mail man left the gate open. so I have had large breed dogs and have cared for them in the past.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I got our dog from the Humane Society and she is very friendly, but she let's us know when someone is coming on our porch. If you go to the Humane Society, the right dog will choose you.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I've grown up around the large protective breeds all my life. i've always had rotts, my friends had pits and shepherds, and I had one doberman.

Personally, from what I've seen out of all of them, I would recommend the rottie. Just their size and appearance alone deters a majority of shady characters. I remember walking one of mine when some neighborhood solicitors were walking the opposite direction towards me on the street (no sidewalks in the neighborhood). Anyway, they gave us a WIDE birth when they saw him. They were even stepping into the neighbor's yard to increase distance from us, LOL. As they walked by I head one of them mumble to the other, "That's a big a** dog!" LOL

Anyway, all of my experience with them concerning intimidation has been the same. However, they also have the naturally protective instinct and the size/strength to actually be useful if they need it. Pitts are small and easily overpowered (yes, I've been attacked by dogs to know). Shepherds are great, but also generally small enough to be overpowered or at the least more "reserved" in their willingness to defend without the proper training. The rottie's instinct are just naturally to be protective, but they are huge babies with their families so not dangerous.

Just my :twocents:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Dont know where you are, but i know of a brindle boxer in Winchester that is kid friendly, and might fit the bill.

I am a loving daddy to an English Boxer and I have been around more than a few of them. I am convinced that Boxers although great and lovingly loyal dogs are not very good guard dogs. All of the ones I have ever been around mine included are goofy, hyper over grown lap dogs. I am sure my dog would be more interested in playing tug-of-war with the intruder than actually fighting him. About the only thing he is at home security wise is an alarm system. He will bark and whine with anticipation when someone is at the door. Other than that he is just my buddy. I am sure you could train a Boxer to be a guard dog but as far as I can tell it isn't really their nature.

German Shepard, Great family dog, amazing guard dog. Probably will be my next dog.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I got our dog from the Humane Society and she is very friendly, but she let's us know when someone is coming on our porch. If you go to the Humane Society, the right dog will choose you.

Also this ^^^ our family is very active with our local Humane Society. The best dogs are rescue dogs hands down.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I've never owned a dog that didn't bark at sounds or smells from strangers outdoors. They learn what's normal and what isn't.
    Unless you get a basengi, you should be good to go. All of ours have been from humane society's/rescues.

Thieves aren't fond of noise/attracting attention. Dogs tend to make noise when roused. Protection doesn't mean it has to kill or bite on command or something.
    Love the dog, train the dog, make it part of your pack and it will protect you and your family.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Forget the mammals unless you want a noise maker. In that case get a pocket dog like a rat terrier, dachshund, etc. As a boxer owner, they are great for the fam, but a **** poor guard dog.

You want protection while you are gone? Get a security system with monitoring. Call a LOCAL security company. My preference is Koorsen Fire & Security*, but ANY local company will do. If necessary, call Brinks/ADT or whatever they are called this week.

(*Full disclosure, this is the company that puts food on my table)

Top Bottom