• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    been doing this working since 1981 and have never seen a indoor coil crack or leak from being froze........i have seen heatpump outdoor coils get crushed from ice pushing up from the ground because the unit wasn't put on legs....

yours 22 or 410a?

Yeah I thought that sounded funny. I’ve seen plenty of water coils burst but I’ve never seen a DX coil do it....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah I thought that sounded funny. I’ve seen plenty of water coils burst but I’ve never seen a DX coil do it....

In all the years I have been in this I have never to memory had a coil hurt itself from freezing up.
    The unit in question was low on Refr. when they turned it on. It ran for 2 straight days unattended and frosted over. It was not the OP's fault.

I would have a getting next to Jesus meeting with the service manager/owner and lite them up. 5 years running on call backs.....oh hell no. Just not right on any level.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    In all the years I have been in this I have never to memory had a coil hurt itself from freezing up.
    The unit in question was low on Refr. when they turned it on. It ran for 2 straight days unattended and frosted over. It was not the OP's fault.

I would have a getting next to Jesus meeting with the service manager/owner and lite them up. 5 years running on call backs.....oh hell no. Just not right on any level.
    I'm guessing most people don't know that a system won't loose refrigerant during normal proper operation and the parts changers probably don't volunteer that info.

On the other hand I'm guessing a lot of people are happy to pay a few hundred a year instead of replacing a system.

Slightly OT, this system is just squeaking by these 90 degree days so long as I don't let the temp get out of hand to start with.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm guessing most people don't know that a system won't loose refrigerant during normal proper operation and the parts changers probably don't volunteer that info.

On the other hand I'm guessing a lot of people are happy to pay a few hundred a year instead of replacing a system.

Slightly OT, this system is just squeaking by these 90 degree days so long as I don't let the temp get out of hand to start with.

I was thinking about you today. :cool:

SCAR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    Minor update,
    they came out today and found that the TXV is bad. It’s not a stocked part but the service guy said trane has had a lot of failures and were offering a $200 credit to add oil to the system to fix the known problem. He was unsure if they were still offering it.
    The service notes did not list if the valve was changed 4 years ago when the coils were changed so he was calling the owner to see how they wanted to handle it.
    The receptionist when I originally called about the issue told me that I was the nicest caller she has had this year because I do not yell and scream and told her I understand that stuff goes out.
    Repair guy told me that she had told the owner how nice I was and the owner said if today was a refill and leak detection that it was to be free.
    Repair also said that I was understanding and he was going to tell the owner and hope to get the cost down or free.
    So waiting for a call from the owner to determine when and how much this repair is going to cost me this year.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I also suspect the line set. Replacing everything and having a continuous leak means to me the one thing that wasn't changed is the leaker.

Have them check the lines, especially where they enter and exit the walls.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well good for you OP. Patience paid off.
    And let's not forget that you can still be respectful while being emphatic about a problem. Sounds like that helped him out as well. A lot of people resort to the scream and yell philosophy. I know that if I was a service provider you would go to the bottom of my list if you wanted to yell at me. Even more true for a busy service provider in peak time.

SCAR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    Final update:
    Talked to the owner yesterday and found that the TXV is part of the coil assembly they replaced 4 years ago. Said they assembly needed to be swapped out again and the parts were covered but not the labor.
    Four years it cost I think $1800 labor to recover the Freon, swap parts, and recharge. Before I could say a word protesting if I had to pay that again he told me that he would send one of his guys to do it for $250 total because I’ve spent so much already and he didn’t think it was right to charge me more. Basically I’m just paying the guys wages for the day.

I’m mad that a 4 year old coil needs to be replaced and that they are costing me more money but They need replaced and it’s not like I can find anyone else to do it all for $250 so for now I guess I’m happy. I just want this system to work like it should and last more then a year at a time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Final update:
    Talked to the owner yesterday and found that the TXV is part of the coil assembly they replaced 4 years ago. Said they assembly needed to be swapped out again and the parts were covered but not the labor.
    Four years it cost I think $1800 labor to recover the Freon, swap parts, and recharge. Before I could say a word protesting if I had to pay that again he told me that he would send one of his guys to do it for $250 total because I’ve spent so much already and he didn’t think it was right to charge me more. Basically I’m just paying the guys wages for the day.

I’m mad that a 4 year old coil needs to be replaced and that they are costing me more money but They need replaced and it’s not like I can find anyone else to do it all for $250 so for now I guess I’m happy. I just want this system to work like it should and last more then a year at a time.

There have been a lot of TXV failures on these newer style coils. I have had 2 in the last 4 years and we do not do a lot of them.
    Make sure they put a new Filter/dryer in the liquid line. Seriously.

Top Bottom