• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I don't know if it's still true, but Federal used to have a bad reputation for being relatively soft. Resulting in the primer pocket expanding when loading at or near max charges, which I expect you will do for long range.
    My experience with it confirmed their reputation. The bleeding gas will etch the bolt face.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Actually if you get up near Fort Wayne, I have a big bag full of once fired federal 223 brass that I'd be happy to give you. I'd estimate that the bag has at least 700 pieces of polished brass in it. I reload 223 with winchester brass only, but I came across such a good deal on some federal ammo that I bought some. The brass has a crimped primer, which is another reason why I didn't want to mess with it, but if you'd like it just let me know. I don't want anything for it, I just didn't want to throw it away.

That would be great!! Im actually from up and Ft Wayne so if i go home for christmas ill let you know and ill come pick it up. I appreciate it!

I don't know if it's still true, but Federal used to have a bad reputation for being relatively soft. Resulting in the primer pocket expanding when loading at or near max charges, which I expect you will do for long range.
    My experience with it confirmed their reputation. The bleeding gas will etch the bolt face.

What exactly is etching the bolt face? Is that a bad thing and will it effect accuracy?

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Etching the bolt face is a result of the primer pocket expanding enough to allow pressure to escape from around the primer. This pressure/gas/fire will eat away that portion of the bolt face until it is necessary to replace it.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Anderson
    I've found that AA2230, Wenchester small rifle primers and 70 grain Sierra Match King bullets loaded in Lake City once-fired military brass work excellent at 500 yeads and still fit in the magazine! Of course, you have to remember to trim the case for uniformity and measure the case volume.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Litlrat, was that your AR based space gun that was getting bolt face erosion?
    I never had brass issues with my spaceguns, but I got an early bunch of Hornady 6.5 X 284 brass that I could not open the bolt if the rifle was hot. There was no other pressure signs and the brass I made out of .284 Winchester brass worked fine with the same load. It seemed to be pretty soft also.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Yes, mine and a few others that I've seen. And then a few others that I heard about. It was only with Federal brass.

Never used Hornady in the 6.5. Sorted Winchester worked very well but then I switched to Lapua.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    In 223 Rem I like Remington brass, although everything Lapua is nice. Remington is just more readily available in mass quantities at much better prices.

I don't care at all for Federal or a lot of the much loved LC for the reasons cited above, as well as it needing trimming sooner and more often. LC brass is contracted and it shows.

Bolt face etching looks like this or worse. You want your primers to seat tight.

BFE.jpg

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I've never had any issues with LC brass and I've gone through thousands and thousands of them.

For no other reason than piece of mind I use Winchester at 200 and 300 for Highpower maches.
    Lapua at 500 and 600 because I want all the accuracy I can get there.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Let me know how my load works for ya! I wish you the bet and may the reloading press be with you

I will let you know! I wrote down the load and i plan on giving it a shot!! Literally

In 223 Rem I like Remington brass, although everything Lapua is nice. Remington is just more readily available in mass quantities at much better prices.

I don't care at all for Federal or a lot of the much loved LC for the reasons cited above, as well as it needing trimming sooner and more often. LC brass is contracted and it shows.

Bolt face etching looks like this or worse. You want your primers to seat tight.

BFE.jpg

Oh wow....never seen that before

Top Bottom