• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Do any of you Highpower shooters soft seat your 75+ gr heads? I read that a number of F-class and Palma shooters do that with the larger calibers. But those are mainly bolt guns.

Just curious.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Do any of you Highpower shooters soft seat your 75+ gr heads? I read that a number of F-class and Palma shooters do that with the larger calibers. But those are mainly bolt guns.

Just curious.
    I don't know of anyone who does in a semi auto.
    The problem with soft seating is needing to unload if there is a cease fire.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    My Colt with 16" 1x7 shoots 77gr Sierras with 21.5gr IMR 4895 loaded to 2.260 AOL. quite well.
    I have only shot them at 200 yds.. but gun definitely shot better groups with this load with the 1x7.. I got this load from a "long range shooter" at the club.. The Sierras 77s can be loaded to max mag, 2.260 length whereas the A-Maxs have to be single fed...to much a PITA for me.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Oh i gotcha. I didnt even know that was a thing lol. Ive never heard of that. Does it work pretty well?

From what I've read, there are some guns that get the most accuracy if the bullet doesn't have to jump to the lands. My guess is that those are the ones that soft seat their bullets. Others may find that they need to jam them into the lands (and the number I read is 0.015"). But, those who do jump typically only go 0.020".

So, for an AR, we're typically talking about jumping, right? I haven't started reloading for mine yet, but I'm about to (as soon as I sell that T/C .222 barrel).

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    That whole long jump to the lands, short jump to the lands, soft seat, methods were what I learned and experimented. When I had my own reamer made, I designed it so that short magazine loads were .005 from the lands. I had .040" more I could move the bullets out farther to chase the wear on the barrel, and still magazine length load a 77 Sierra Match king. I am not sure all that work really got me anything. At any amount of jump, a rough leade will hurt accuracy

I have a friend that builds very precise varmint rifles in wildcat calibers. He follows the Roy Weatherby school of though with long led, gentle taper throats. He built a .218 caliber rifle that has OVER one inch of lead! From contact to full rifling is a couple more inches. It sounds absolutly nuts, but you should see the groups he gets out of that rifle.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I am currently in the works for turning my AR into a longer range gun and ill want to reload my own rounds for it.
    My twist rate it 1:7 and from what ive read itd be able to handle up to 90gr rounds but i dont want to go that high.

What sized rounds work best past 500 yards? Powder? Primer?

Ive never reloaded for rifle rounds so this is new to me.
    I had a great round forgot how to make itt though. It will take down deer with ease.

here is all I remember

Winchester brass
    Sierra 55 gr national match hollow point
    24 gr of a powder I forgot

I got it from a guy on my gosse hunting trip. I'll find the paper somewhere

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have only shot the 223 out to 600 yards. That is plenty far for the little pip-squeak cartridge, I think.

A couple of years ago the USAMU "said" that they were shooting 90's at 1000 yards. Then we found out they were shooting AR10's in 308 secretly across the course.

I doubt that they were shooting 90's. Just a personal opinion though.

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    From what I've read, there are some guns that get the most accuracy if the bullet doesn't have to jump to the lands. My guess is that those are the ones that soft seat their bullets. Others may find that they need to jam them into the lands (and the number I read is 0.015"). But, those who do jump typically only go 0.020".

I don't soft seat but instead I bought the RCBS Precision Mic and spent a lot of time experimenting with bullet jump. Everywhere from 0.001 to 0.025". It's very interesting how the variations cause differences in Muzzle velocity as well as group sizes.

As the saying goes - every gun is different.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Does brass usually make a differance?

For the average shooter so long as you use the same make/model of brass it's not going to make much difference. When I'm looking to get started with a new caliber and I'm looking for my first big batch of brass to pickup I get on gunbroker and type in "brass once (insert caliber)" and see what I can get a great deal on.

I've got a 223 that I use run of the mill winchester brass with and shoot out to 700 yards with it. I've also got a 30-06 that I use Lapue (expensive) brass with and it's really not much if any better than the remington brass I've used.

If you get into the highest levels of bigtime competitive types of shooting, then you're going to see the brass become more of a factor, but if you're like me and you're happy with being just under a half inch at 100 yards then normal brass will suit you just fine.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Alright thanks! Ill sort my brass just incase and see how that goes for me.

Actually if you get up near Fort Wayne, I have a big bag full of once fired federal 223 brass that I'd be happy to give you. I'd estimate that the bag has at least 700 pieces of polished brass in it. I reload 223 with winchester brass only, but I came across such a good deal on some federal ammo that I bought some. The brass has a crimped primer, which is another reason why I didn't want to mess with it, but if you'd like it just let me know. I don't want anything for it, I just didn't want to throw it away.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom