• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    I shipped out a parts kit last week and just got a call from UPS to come and pick up my package (they didn't send it or did and somewhere along the line it got kicked back).

The guy claims I send an "assult rifle" :rolleyes: and only claimed it as parts (which it is).

Does anyone have UPS's policy handy? And ATF's description of a complete rifle?

Thanks

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've shipped rifles thru UPS before. And never had any problems. I called them the first time. UPS said no problem, but make sure there are no firearm markings on the box.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    out side of it having to be an official UPS shipping center and not one of those "kinko's" Mail boxes etc places I don't see why it was a problem.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    That just doesn't make any sense. You don't claim anything thru UPS unless it's Freight.

FedEx you have to let them know it's a firearm. And ship it express.

Even if your box got ripped and exposed, you shouldnt have this problem. I deal with UPS all the time here at work.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Someone more knowledgeable than I will be along, but I'm fairly sure that the receiver (part with serial number) is the firearm.

Everything but the receiver = parts, just receiver or receiver + other stuff = firearm.
    UPS firearms shipping guidlines in link:
    UPS: Shipping Firearms

Basically the same deal, receiver = firearm. No gun parts shipped internationally.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    It was a Krink parts kit, minus receiver that I shipped at the UPS hub in Fishers in a non-marked box. What happened is, the counter guy saw the email of the guy I was shipping it to which contained gun jargon in his email address.

At the time of shipping, he specifically asked me if the package contained gun parts. I replied no, because as far as I'm concerned it's none of their darn business. I was not sending anything hazardous, against their policies or the law. I don't like sending packages with descriptions of gun anything because they occasionally seem to come up missing. I simply said it was machined parts.

Well apparently he flagged my package for inspection and just called me today (I shipped the package on last Wednesday).

I went in armed with their firearms policy, USC Title 18 Chapter 44, and being right. The counter guy still refused to send my package and was being a general butt about the issue. I told him that I think you will be sending my package today and asked to speak with the manager.

After explaining the situation, the manager agreed to ship my package and upgraded it to next day air.

It all worked out in the end but I'm still less than happy about the situation. Their excuses for opening my package, and not sending it were BS. It boiled down to the counter guy thought I was shipping a gun without declaring it (that's their policy) and the counter guy was trying to flex his muscles. Neither the counter guy or the manager knew a thing about guns, so both got a small lesson regarding them.

I tried to be as polite as I could despite being pretty ticked off, which I think helped my situation.

For reference:
    UPS Firearms Policy
    USC Title 18 Chapter 44

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    UPS has that BS policy in place because in the past they've had alot of problems with some of their own dirtbag employees stealing firearms that were being shipped.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Sounds like you handled it very well by keeping your cool the best you could. :yesway: In the end I am glad they got it sorted out and shipped it for you with the upgrade, but yes that situation is pretty crappy.

Top Bottom