• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Actually, after discussing it with some smart guys here on INGO, I concluded that my house fan was introducing warm, damp air back into my house from the attic. When it came into contact with my A/C cooled walls and ceiling, it immediately condensed and started raining inside. You can see the worst of it in the hallway pic - with the house fan at the end of the hall.

I had 70%-75% humidity in my house with my perfectly functional and adequately sized A/C running 24/7. (This was during a high heat/humidity spell outside, mind you)

Although I also have completely inadequate bathroom ventilation introducing all the moisture into the attic - so I'm sure folks with proper ventilation don't have quite this much trouble. But the principle remains.

So the bathroom exhaust does go directly into the attic? I inherited a house like that - it did bad things to the wood.

It's not fun, but I would suggest getting adding a vent to side of the house and routing a vent tube.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I was thinking about a whole house fan - I've got a HUGE attic, so plenty of space to work...

...maybe some sort of automated door that's insulated and sealed tight when shut.

The gears are turning.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    JettaKnight said:
    So the bathroom exhaust does go directly into the attic? I inherited a house like that - it did bad things to the wood.

Note quite. The bathroom has no exhaust at all - but my whole house fan is right outside the bathroom door. So I'm pretty sure the warm steam just went straight up there.

JettaKnight said:
    I was thinking about a whole house fan - I've got a HUGE attic, so plenty of space to work...

...maybe some sort of automated door that's insulated and sealed tight when shut.

The gears are turning.

Something like this perhaps?

Battic Door Energy Conservation Products 1000 CFM Insulated Whole House Fan-HV1000 R38 - The Home Depot

I've always liked the idea of them and it was very nice at times to use, I'm just tired of fighting with it and I don't have the time or budget to install something that seals properly and looks decent. If I ever did put one back in, I'd probably want it to have ducts that vent it straight to the outside instead of into my attic.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    JettaKnight said:
    I like the design, but not the price.

I had more of a DIY plan in mind. Looks like its nothing but spring-loaded foam insulation being blown up by the fan and then sealed by gravity when the fan's off.

But yes, these fans are not cheap.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    On your newly created hatch door, put 4 or 5 layers of the 2" foam board on top of it, not just one. As long as you have enough room above it to get it open.

When you get a chance, post up a picture of your attic insulation situation.

IMHO, whole house attic fans lose much more energy into the attic then they'd ever save when not in use.

Buy a window fan instead, but then be careful not to run it when the humidity is high outdoors.

Top Bottom