• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I hope this is the appropriate forum for this request.

I need some computer help. I used to be pretty technical ten years or so ago, but now I've let my skills slip.

The company I used to work for, that I'm finishing up some things for has a problem. They used to host their own web site and email locally, but they bought a package from JustHost. The problem is that we can move the website to JustHost, but then we lose our email. I'd like to understand how to move both email and web site. Also, we have two URLs that need to bring up the same site.

Can anyone advise me?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    The hosting site is all set up to do the mail work, whether they're hosting your mailboxes there or redirecting to the company? If so, you just have to create DNS records pointing the names you use at their servers. So probably something like (blah.whatever.com) and somethingelse.whatever.com for the web piece, then you need to create MX records that designate their server(s) as your Mail Exchangers, and the A records to support those, if necessary. Are you running the name servers, or are they?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The hosting site is all set up to do the mail work, whether they're hosting your mailboxes there or redirecting to the company? If so, you just have to create DNS records pointing the names you use at their servers. So probably something like (blah.whatever.com) and somethingelse.whatever.com for the web piece, then you need to create MX records that designate their server(s) as your Mail Exchangers, and the A records to support those, if necessary. Are you running the name servers, or are they?

I know how to point the servers, but I don't know what to do for the mail. Do I recreate my accounts on the JustHost site and then just configure my email client to get the mail from there?

I'm not familiar with the term "MX" servers or A records. I'd like to get away from using our local MS Exchange at all.

wabash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    SouthWest Indiana
    it would help if the old host and the new host are using the same control panel. it looks like justhost uses cpanel. what control panel does your old host use?

it would help if the old host and the new host are using the same email program. what email program does your old host use?

ask justhost support if they will move your site and emails.

before doing anything, grab a backup.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    OK, so the mail hosting company has to be set up to host your mailboxes to do that. I'm not familiar with justhost. Different companies have different requirements for setting that up, and they'll have to give you config instructions for your mail clients. Doing it this way, they'll set up a server to host the mail for that domain, then they'll have to tell you the address to point your name servers. You'll create a record in your zone of type MX pointing to the IP they give you. The MX record is the way other mailers figure out how to mail to your domain -- they essentially do a DNS lookup asking for type MX, and your name servers tells them that the Mail eXchangers for your domain are (...) You'll need to have A records and reverse lookup records for those servers, as well (or your host will...)

Top Bottom