• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    I would start by making sure the distributor is properly timed. Base timing for the HEI GM distributor is set as follows:
    1. If this is computer controlled advance, disconnect the tan and black wire between the distributor and the computer. If this is vacuum advance, you don't need to disconnect anything yet.
    2. Turn the crankshaft to align the timing marks at the correct position for this engine. If timing is supposed to be set at 10 degrees before top dead center, that is where you position the crankshaft.
    3. Remove the distributor cap and verify the rotor is pointing at the number one spark plug tower. If not, reposition the distributor or realign the plug wires to match. If you pull the distributor, you will need to align the oil pump prior to dropping the distributor back in. You can usually do this with a long screwdriver. Also verify correct plug wire positioning on the distributor. The typical GM firing order if memory serves was 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Cylinders 1-3-5-7 were on the driver side, even cylinders on the passenger side.
    4. With the distributor and plug wires properly installed and with the distributor clamping bolt loose. Turn on the ignition key and turn the distributor while watching for spark at the number one spark plug wire. When the spark occurs, slightly tighten the distributor hold down bolt. This should set ignition timing close enough to get the engine running and allow you to accurately set the timing with a timing light. You may have to turn the distributor fairly fast so the pick up coil generates a viable signal for the ignition module to react to and command spark.
    This all depends on valve timing being correct also.
    Good luck.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I love these threads BECAUSE they are so far out of my wheelhouse! 75% of the words used above are entirely foreign to me.

Yep, same here! :):

ac14ba4ed5d9a6e37104a7c72675dca9.jpg

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    .....And again I am only trying to diagnose a problem over the interwebs.....:):.....

My favorite is when somebody is trying to describe the horrible sound coming from their engine over the internet... "what could be causing this?" "well... you have a few dozen possibilities here."

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    The oil additive was done by me before they ever got it. I filled the oil and primed the system using a power drill down the distributor hole for probably 5 mins while the engine was still on the stand. I had posted a prior thread about this same truck back around the beginning of April because I couldn't get spark to it. It ended up being a bad HEI (Mallory) unit. I replaced the entire thing and then had spark. It would crank fine but only got some backfire but would never run. I sent it to the shop after that because I didn't want to tear anything up. They have had it six weeks and this is what I now have. I'm not going to do an LS swap on this one. I want a driver not a hotrod or show truck. I'm hoping that it is a bad head gasket or something like that but at this point I don't know.

I can't really work on it at my house because there isn't enough room in my tiny garage to really be able to do anything and every time I work on anything outside for very long the stinking HOA comes down on me. This is why I am looking to have someone that can look at it and help me out. I just need to find somewhere that is trustworthy to take it. It will have to be towed wherever it goes so if someone can recommend somewhere or someone like that it would be great.

Prior thread https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/466826-gm-small-block-mechanic-help.html

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Years ago a friend with a 68 GTO did a tune up and couldn't get it to start. Backfire and pops was about it. Looked it over and rotated his distributor rotor 180 degrees after finding that he had made the round peg fit in the square hole. Car fired and ran instantly. He was very embarrassed.

Top Bottom