Need Steel Toed boots for construction job. Any advice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Bringing this back to life as I too need a set of boots. I have good shoes for standing on concrete all day but not with boots. Can't have the dogs talking after a shift. Redwings are from China -- I see Keens are US made. Any other US made suggestions?

Not all Redwings are from China. You can find several made in the USA.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    I get funded by work to buy "Steel Toed" boots. I actually chipped in $20 and bought some Rocky "Composite Toed" boots with a zipper at the side. They are lighter and don't wear your shins out like heavier boots can, and the zipper is easy on/off after you have tied the laces for the first time. These are great for in a machining/factory/manufacturing environment. I am not sure that they have the puncture resistant soles or not, which are good for stepping on nails in planks obviously and which would be good for a construction site. You should make sure that your toes don't rub on the steel hood, as it doesn't break-in like leather! :)

I have been to some factories where steel protections are needed above the top of your foot behind the steel toe. (Shanks maybe?) This is the area that would protect your Tarsal bones from being broken, which is quite painful and takes time to recover per athletic injury stories. It is worth figuring out what you want and spending more for long term!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I get funded by work to buy "Steel Toed" boots. I actually chipped in $20 and bought some Rocky "Composite Toed" boots with a zipper at the side. They are lighter and don't wear your shins out like heavier boots can, and the zipper is easy on/off after you have tied the laces for the first time. These are great for in a machining/factory/manufacturing environment. I am not sure that they have the puncture resistant soles or not, which are good for stepping on nails in planks obviously and which would be good for a construction site. You should make sure that your toes don't rub on the steel hood, as it doesn't break-in like leather! :)

I have been to some factories where steel protections are needed above the top of your foot behind the steel toe. (Shanks maybe?) This is the area that would protect your Tarsal bones from being broken, which is quite painful and takes time to recover per athletic injury stories. It is worth figuring out what you want and spending more for long term!

metatarsals
    In this picture the top is anchored with shoelaces.
    Since all my work is either above my head, or at ground level, I use plastic tie wraps (wire ties) to the holes, and then to the laces.
    I don't tighten the tie wrap, I leave a loop.
    That way, when I have to go to a knee, I have a little more flexibility in the boot, the metatarsal can ride higher up the shoe towards the ankle.
    158608_ts.jpg

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    The Redwings held up pretty well for a couple months, but in November the sole started separating from the leather around the edges. I took them back to the Redwing Shoe Store where I purchased them and they gave me a brand new pair with brand new insoles. I can't complain about the service, but having to break in a new pair of boots sucked. I can see where the new ones are starting to separate from the sole on the side again though. :facepalm:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    gvbndgf
    Timberland Pro. Thet are not too expensive and they are the most comfortable boots Ive tried out of about 10. I have not tried ant Red Wings though but have heard great things about them

adcecil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    RedWing all the way.
    I am going on my third year on the pair I have now.
    I work in a tool shop so not exactly a construction site. But the floors are nasty
    with sharp metal shavings everywhere and the soles have held up great. I climb on
    steel equipment a lot and the boots have held up well.
    They ain't the cheapest but worth the extra $$$
    Ther feel great once you get them broke in

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I have been wearing Keen boot for about 6 years
    I have a very wide foot and they are the only boots I've found that don't kill my feet for the first few weeks.
    I get 6 to 8 months of everyday wear out of them

Top Bottom