• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I saw that video, as we have an older Maytag. There is a "Clean Washer" option. We put bleach in it about 1x a month, and run through the clean cycle to keep it from stinking. Much easier than taking it apart to clean. I'm in the market for a new washer too as the drive shaft and bearings need replacing again.

That problem is in addition to using the "clean washer" option, which we use regularly. It does such a poor job draining the water there's no way to keep the mold from growing.

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    We went from a GE front load to a Samsung top load and hated, hated, hated it. It was a high efficiency and we had to constantly "cheat" the water to get all of the clothes washed, and even then it didn't do a good job. Did I mention that we hated it? Mechanically we didn't have problems with it but it didn't get the clothes clean. We got rid of it after 3 years and got another front load. The key to front loads is to leave the door slightly open. Never had a mold problem with either front-load.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    We still have our 20 year old Whirlpool washer and gas dryer. I'm keeping the washer working for as long as I can, parts are cheap and the machine is simple to work on. I've replaced the clutch assembly twice in 20 years. There is not much to go wrong in these old beasts. Buy a used older model.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I’m heading to Lowe’s after work tonight. Going to see what they have. Really don’t want a front loader.

Edit: going to let the wife pick it out too.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    We purchased the Maytag top loader this spring. It has the agitator in a giant stainless tub does a good job on the clothes, we're pleased with the purchase. Best deal I found was at Home Depot they were several hundred dollars less then other places

Top Bottom