• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LUVn40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    This is a bit “off-topic” but... My husband and I are avid hunters even into our “senior” years, he’s 73 and I’m 58. We rarely hunt the same areas so feel it is imperative to be able to communicate while out in the field should something bad happen or just to keep in touch during the hunt. We presently have cell service with Verizon but for whatever reason this year, we’ve noticed it since spring turkey season, we get almost no service in the areas we hunt which makes our cell phones practically useless. I’ve called Verizon and they are supposed to be checking things out but I honestly don’t expect much. Can anyone recommend a “reliable” cell service? We live in the southwest part of the state. Or what about walkie-talkies? Anything out there with any kind of range, like 5 miles or more? In this day and age I never thought this would be an issue but for us it is right now. Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks!

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I would definitely check into walkie-talkies. Verizon has about the best coverage of any cell phone service. If they aren't covering this area, it is possible, but doubtful that others are. Walkie-talkies would provide two major advantages:

• No additional monthly service fees. Buy once and use as needed.
    • A secondary way of communicating if there is some major outage.

FYI- They are often called two-way radios now. Beware of the mile-rating. They are highly optimistic, but 5 miles with good quality radios isn't a problem assuming you don't have a mountain between you.

Last edited:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I like to know where my dad is while were hunting so we bought Garman Rhino GPS/FRS radios, They are a little complicated to use, but they text back and forth (slowly) but more important show each others location on the GPS, and if they don't respond we can "poll" the other radio and show them on the gps

Garmin® Rino 610 GPS Radio : Cabela's

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    It's funny that you should mention Verizon not having the coverage that they once had, as the same thing has happened to me -- also starting back in the spring. Between Bedford and Oolitic, I now have a dead spot where one NEVER existed before, as well as one on the west side of Avoca. I've driven that route daily for 20 years now, and have never had bad reception in those spots. Verizon has definitely changed something.

LUVn40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks to one and all for your responses to my query. I'll definitely be checking out the "two-way radios". Like M4Madness we too had pretty good cell service with Verizon at all of our hunting locations, spotty at times in some places, but doable. Now however it's almost nil in these areas. In the spring I was told by our local Verizon rep that they had "repositioned" the towers in various places and that probably caused the problem. Was most recently told that Verizon is focusing now more on their 4G network and the the rest is kind of going by the wayside. Whatever the reason it's a real concern for those of us who NEED to be in contact with one another or emergency services. That said, I'll research the two-way radios and see what I can come up with. Thanks again for the input and good hunting to you all this fall.

Top Bottom