• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stlaser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Who do you guys recommend? I need several hundred rounds and the cases will have to be cut on them to a slightly shorter length. Advise, Thanks Shawn

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    Try Andrew at Profile Arms. He is about the only local professional reloader around who most likely has the equipment to do what you need.

He is an advertiser here and a great guy!:yesway:

stlaser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Thanks for the link, I will PM you what I am looking for. Shawn

Edit: I will not PM you as my post count is not high enough to be able to PM you or anyone else besides the people who run this very site. BTW that seems really dumb since you are a site supporter and the idea behind that is to get business from this site. Why would the people who run this site not allow that to easily happen? Sorry for my rant I'm a business owner too and try to see both sides of the coin, dare I say these rules seem democratic in nature??????

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    My Son thought the same..

Edit: I will not PM you as my post count is not high enough to be able to PM you or anyone else besides the people who run this very site. BTW that seems really dumb since you are a site supporter and the idea behind that is to get business from this site. Why would the people who run this site not allow that to easily happen? Sorry for my rant I'm a business owner too and try to see both sides of the coin, dare I say these rules seem democratic in nature??????

My Son joined INGO this last year+thought the same thing also..

Their Forum=Their Rules...

The good thing about it is-you can always call ProFire A&S...Bill.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

I do not know exactly where you are, but why not just drop by, Sat. at the Swap Meet ?????

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    What bad things could happen without 0.295" of brass? Poor accuracy degraded chamber come to mind????

I don't know enough about reloading or guns but would like to try this out if I had some safe recipes that don't ruin my 45/70.

stlaser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Sorry for my rant, seemed dumb and I thought I would address it for the great sponsors here. :)

I live just north of Fort Wayne in Leo, IN. so dropping by is out of the question.

I did call Andrew and we discussed this, he was very responsive and will do what I want. He wants to use my specs as he has not done this in the 45-70 and does not have any testing as such. My guess is by me giving specs the liability is on me! lol

So currently I am working on research to have these built, a good friend of mine who is also an FFL is restoring an 1873 Spring field trap door (military issue if your not familiar) and will need some with reduced loads as back then they used black powder in these I was told.

Yes, new deer cartridge, probably won't feed in my levers but I have a TC G2 heavy barrel chambered ( I believe that of all my 45-70's this would be the best test gun as it is built extremely heavy and with the break open action it would be the way to go for testing ) in this so feeding would not be an issue and the trap door is single as well. I spoke with a DNR officer and was told that if the case is less than 1.8" after being fired it is legit. 45-70 being what it is I should have a very lethal and long range deer dropping gun if I get this figured out. Can anyone say "stlaser45-70"?

The lead on these has two long parallel sides and from looking at it I think we can easily reduce the overall length by .300 and still have it engaging the bore. Anyhow this is my theory........

What bad things could happen without 0.295" of brass? Poor accuracy degraded chamber come to mind????

I don't know enough about reloading or guns but would like to try this out if I had some safe recipes that don't ruin my 45/70.

Last edited:

stlaser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Time, work a day job 45-50hrs a week. Own my own business = million hours a week. Third but not last three girls and a wife, I think everyone gets the picture.

I bought a 12ga press last year for x-mas, built a nice work table for it in my shop. Press is still in box.......... :(

Why not by a press and reload them yourself? .45-70 smokeless rounds are super easy to reload

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    337   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I just ordered a new rifle in 45-70 to test this shortened case round. Going to trim a 45-70 casing to 1.775", and put a 325gn Hornady FTX on top of an undisclosed amount of powder. I'll be making a batch of this ammo next week. Put it through a chrono, and perhaps have it tested and on the market by deer season.

stlaser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Andrew, I have money to send your way whenever your ready. Please put me first on the list. Also a local guy (to you) had some brass he wanted to get rid of so if we could incorporate that into the deal by all means that would be great for everyone involved if it suits you as well. When your ready shoot me a PM and I can give you a call to square up. Thanks Shawn

Edit: And for anyone else who is reading this thread. I can tell you as a business owner this is no small feat to drop everything else he has going on (I'm sure) and buy equipment to test and start building loads two months before the impending due date. As such I do not know Andrew but am already highly impressed that he has taken the time out of his schedule to work this in and try to make it happen. When (and if) he can make this happen I think that a drive 2.5 hours south to him is in order for me. Cash is King :)

So if you are in the slightest interested in these cartridges please post up so he can see the desire from an eager public. That might help keep him motivated too. ;)

I just ordered a new rifle in 45-70 to test this shortened case round. Going to trim a 45-70 casing to 1.775", and put a 325gn Hornady FTX on top of an undisclosed amount of powder. I'll be making a batch of this ammo next week. Put it through a chrono, and perhaps have it tested and on the market by deer season.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom