Need to kill some time on the interwebz?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    There is a boat load of information for those interested in making knives. Don't let artsy stuff intimidate you.

I learned more about knifemaking browsing that site today than I really wanted to know. Check out his chef's knives. I shutter to think what a set like that cost.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    There is a boat load of information for those interested in making knives. Don't let artsy stuff intimidate you.

You're confusing intimidation with not wanting to uglify a beautiful work of art I've spent thousands of dollars on by beating on it.

I'm sure it can take the abuse without breaking, but I flat guarantee those beautiful blades won't look so beautiful afterwards. And that would be a shame.

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You're confusing intimidation with not wanting to uglify a beautiful work of art I've spent thousands of dollars on by beating on it.

I'm sure it can take the abuse without breaking, but I flat guarantee those beautiful blades won't look so beautiful afterwards. And that would be a shame.

No, I meant not to give up or stop trying just because your first blade or your hundredth blade doesn't look like much in comparison to the beautiful knives displayed on that website. They are something to aspire to, not to look at with despair. If anyone ever wanted to make their own knife learn what you can from the site and go for it!

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    No, I meant not to give up or stop trying just because your first blade or your hundredth blade doesn't look like much in comparison to the beautiful knives displayed on that website. They are something to aspire to, not to look at with despair. If anyone ever wanted to make their own knife learn what you can from the site and go for it!

Then I think you misunderstood the point of what a couple of us were saying. We weren't talking about making our own art knives. We aren't looking at them with despair because we can't do it ourselves. We're looking at them as one-off pieces of impeccable craftsmanship and the pinnacle of the art, and wouldn't buy one because it would be heart breaking to uglify a piece of art like Jay Fisher makes, and we tend to beat the tar out of our knives by doing things like prying open car doors and batoning frozen hard woods in the middle of winter, and chopping things to bits.

Or I misunderstood what you were saying.

To get to that level of proficiency requires years and years of dedication. Personally, most of us work regular jobs and can't spend that time. So those of us who do make knives do what we can, and are happy with the feeble blades we can pound out ourselves. I also play drums. Just because I'm not Dave Weckl, that doesn't mean I give up in despair. I don't. I aspire to play like Dave Weckl, or Jim Kilpatrick, but I know I'll never meet that level of proficiency. It doesn't bother me; it's simply reality.

Last edited:

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Sorry jbombelli, I was responding to the OP. I have spent some quality time on the site and just wanted to commend it to others for both its vast amounts of shared knowledge and amazing photographs of end product. Maybe I'm the only one that finds the workman ship demonstrated on those pages daunting.

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    To get to that level of proficiency requires years and years of dedication. Personally, most of us work regular jobs and can't spend that time. So those of us who do make knives do what we can, and are happy with the feeble blades we can pound out ourselves. I also play drums. Just because I'm not Dave Weckl, that doesn't mean I give up in despair. I don't. I aspire to play like Dave Weckl, or Jim Kilpatrick, but I know I'll never meet that level of proficiency. It doesn't bother me; it's simply reality.

You got it. That's how I see competitive shooting.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sorry jbombelli, I was responding to the OP. I have spent some quality time on the site and just wanted to commend it to others for both its vast amounts of shared knowledge and amazing photographs of end product. Maybe I'm the only one that finds the workman ship demonstrated on those pages daunting.

No, not at all. I've done my own handiwork at times, and worked with steel, and what Mr. Fisher puts out is truly impressive and the pinnacle of the art. He's a true artist and craftsman, and his work commands a very high price. Deservedly so, in my opinion. He's dedicated his life to this, and it shows in his work.

Top Bottom