• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Well, a somewhat recent car wreck has forced me to trim a little fat. The vehicle is a 99 Infiniti G20. I have to the car tore down but I have a few questions. Initially my dumb self drilled through the welds entirely to remove the radiator core support and the headlight supports to get them off. I have since learned that this is wrong and the traditional method is to only drill enough to separate it from the "good" piece. Is this a deal breaker or is it just a minor fudge and can be fixed with some creative technique? Also, I was looking at a cheap MIG welder. Will this suffice? I am mechanically inclined but have no welding experience. Basically I need to weld in a new radiator core support and the flanking headlight frame assemblies. Is this something that can be done with my noob welding skills? Also, There might be a few additional engine related components I might need to replace. Again, if you see something glaring and have some expertise please feel free to advise. I posted a few pics so feel free to have a gander and any help is certainly appreciated. Thanks.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Can you get to the underside of the holes where you drilled thru? If so, just weld in some plate underneath it, then fill in the hole up top with some creative work with the welder. Go over the top with a die grinder to make it flat, prime it to prevent rust. Then you got a clean area to work with.

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Yes, actually the only holes I completely drilled through were on the front face/top of the inner fenders. You can kind of see them if you look close. They are at the front tips of it.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Just straighten the metal, Weld in some metal underneath. Boom, back in business. Im assuming you are welding the new core in like it was before?

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Just straighten the metal, Weld in some metal underneath. Boom, back in business. Im assuming you are welding the new core in like it was before?

Yes, with factory OEM parts and they are not cheap. If the car didn't have new tires, brakes, perfect interior (every option...it is an Infiniti), and just turning 100k miles I would not be doing this. It was from a family member who rarely drove it. It does have a little light rusting over the rear wells but I can live with that. It's more of a damn, this thing will turn 200k, I hate to scrap it. Estimate locally from Collision Revision was $6100!

Indycar:v1.1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Not close enuf to the track
    That isn't the type of newbie project to try to learn to weld on. Pay someone the bucks to do it right. If you don't, the headlights/grilll won't line up with the rest of the body right and gaposis and loss of value will ensue.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Find some similar gauge sheet metal to practice on first.
    Sheet metal is easy to blow through if you're not familiar with welding.
    It's not really hard, but it does take a "feel" for it.

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I agree this isn't a project to learn on but the cost at the shop is impossible. I'm fine with the car not looking factory fresh. I just want it in proper mechanical order. I can live with it not being the bell of the ball. I can get the appropriate parts and if a skilled person were to want some cash for a few spot welds I'd be happy to make it worth their while. I'll do the rest. Until an option as this presents itself I'm stuck.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    You don't have to use the original holes to weld it back together.
    A cheap welder won't be good enough.
    A NOVICE welder shouldn't attempt this job. This is part of the "Crush Zone" that absorbs the collision energy that keeps the occupants from being hurt.
    Find a decent body man/metal man to get this lined up and welded up properly.
    I've been doing this type of work since the early '60s and this collision repair is well above your skill set.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Also.....a cheap welder is exactly that.......a cheap welder. Not a lot of control and I would want the Argon (inert gas) option.

Clean metal surfaces clamped tightly together and start by "Tacking" the new pieces in place. When you have it aligned and where it has to be then do the final welding. A tack is easier to break loose for adjusting.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You don't have to use the original holes to weld it back together.
    A cheap welder won't be good enough.
    A NOVICE welder shouldn't attempt this job. This is part of the "Crush Zone" that absorbs the collision energy that keeps the occupants from being hurt.
    Find a decent body man/metal man to get this lined up and welded up properly.
    I've been doing this type of work since the early '60s and this collision repair is well above your skill set.

Harry beat me too it and he is right.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm sure if you ask around you can find a shop to just weld it up properly with good "lines" on it so everything lines up.
    It won't cost a lot to get this put together enough for you to finish it up.
    You have to remember that EVERY mounting hole has to line up properly so lights, fenders, radiators, etc all line up.

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Wow, I never addressed the idea that, as a uni-body car, the structural integrity and general safety might be compromised with my slacked jawed yocal welding skills. The problem is that I have $300 in towing now and it'd be another $100 to get it to an appropriate shop plus those costs for them to do it correctly and then another $100 to tow it back home. The parts are about $1700.

At minimum I need a radiator core support, it's flanking headlight supports (both need welded together and to the car), headlamps, turn-signals, bulbs for both, complete radiator/fan assembly, possibly some radiator hoses, maybe an A/C line, and a hood latch assembly. I can reuse the bumper cover and hood though the hood will require some "bending" to get it back to a workable piece in an attempt at further cost savings. It's just that the car just turned 100k miles, has new brakes, tires and rims. One rim was bent and the replacement cost was so high it was better to buy an aftermarket set rather than replace one rim.

The car was a grocery getter and it's basically perfect and has every possible option you could want outside of a small amount of rust over the rear wheel wells. I was trying to keep this car as long as possible for money saving purposes but I think the reality of it is hitting home. Junk it and move on. It seems the easier albeit a bit more costly way to go. If I do have to junk it I'd like to keep the rims and tires for resale. Would the local we'll come get the car from you and pay you for it look terribly at this? Should i part it out? I can have it sit for a bit and like I said, the car has a lot of good quality parts/use left.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Wow, I never addressed the idea that, as a uni-body car, the structural integrity and general safety might be compromised with my slacked jawed yocal welding skills. The problem is that I have $300 in towing now and it'd be another $100 to get it to an appropriate shop plus those costs for them to do it correctly and then another $100 to tow it back home. The parts are about $1700.

At minimum I need a radiator core support, it's flanking headlight supports (both need welded together and to the car), headlamps, turn-signals, bulbs for both, complete radiator/fan assembly, possibly some radiator hoses, maybe an A/C line, and a hood latch assembly. I can reuse the bumper cover and hood though the hood will require some "bending" to get it back to a workable piece in an attempt at further cost savings. It's just that the car just turned 100k miles, has new brakes, tires and rims. One rim was bent and the replacement cost was so high it was better to buy an aftermarket set rather than replace one rim.

The car was a grocery getter and it's basically perfect and has every possible option you could want outside of a small amount of rust over the rear wheel wells. I was trying to keep this car as long as possible for money saving purposes but I think the reality of it is hitting home. Junk it and move on. It seems the easier albeit a bit more costly way to go. If I do have to junk it I'd like to keep the rims and tires for resale. Would the local we'll come get the car from you and pay you for it look terribly at this? Should i part it out? I can have it sit for a bit and like I said, the car has a lot of good quality parts/use left.
    Try LKQ auto parts. After market "CAPA"parts that fit well. You might buy a good used front end clip reasonable as well.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    As others have said, this isn't exactly the best "first time welder" project. Its super easy to blow through thin stuff and make a big globby mess of it.

Where you located? You might be able to find an INGO member that can come do it for you relatively cheap...

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    As others have said, this isn't exactly the best "first time welder" project. Its super easy to blow through thin stuff and make a big globby mess of it.

Where you located? You might be able to find an INGO member that can come do it for you relatively cheap...

These were my thoughts exactly. With Christmas around the corner I figured someone here in Ft Wayne has the proper skill-set for this job. I could get everything necessary and wait until said person is free and work around their schedule. I imagine it would take them only an hour. I would obviously compensate for their tool usage, gas, and time. I would make it a worth while endeavor. I'm not trying to cheapskate it or them. I just want it done correctly. Now, if my local autobody tech/welders would come to the discussion table... lol?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    These were my thoughts exactly. With Christmas around the corner I figured someone here in Ft Wayne has the proper skill-set for this job. I could get everything necessary and wait until said person is free and work around their schedule. I imagine it would take them only an hour. I would obviously compensate for their tool usage, gas, and time. I would make it a worth while endeavor. I'm not trying to cheapskate it or them. I just want it done correctly. Now, if my local autobody tech/welders would come to the discussion table... lol?

You won't get that job done in an hour. You'll be lucky to get it lined up, fit, cleaned for welding, and welded in a day.

Tolerances are tight. We're talking 3-5mm MAX so things will fit.
    You'll basically be putting it together with clamps and screws, making sure all bolt holes line up, sheet metal is squared up/lined up, held in place firmly, take sheet metal off, tack weld solid, reassemble sheet metal to insure a proper fit, disassemble sheet metal, weld solid when properly lined up. After all that's done then you can start your assembly again for the final time.

Last edited:

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    You won't get that job done in an hour. You'll be lucky to get it lined up, fit, cleaned for welding, and welded in a day.

Tolerances are tight. We're talking 3-5mm MAX so things will fit.
    You'll basically be putting it together with clamps and screws, making sure all bolt holes line up, sheet metal is squared up/lined up, held in place firmly, take sheet metal off, tack weld solid, reassemble sheet metal to insure a proper fit, disassemble sheet metal, weld solid when properly lined up. After all that's done then you can start your assembly again for the final time.

Ok, no more speculation on my part. I just thought if I got things around someone who knew what was up could come in and take care of business in a relatively short amount of time and I could do the remaining bolt back together work. I could just get the absolutely needed parts but as this develops more and more I'm wondering if it is worth it...

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Ok, no more speculation on my part. I just thought if I got things around someone who knew what was up could come in and take care of business in a relatively short amount of time and I could do the remaining bolt back together work. I could just get the absolutely needed parts but as this develops more and more I'm wondering if it is worth it...
    I've put $500 into a $500 gun because I liked it. It's up to you only if it's worth the cash outlay for a '99 G20

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I've put $500 into a $500 gun because I liked it. It's up to you only if it's worth the cash outlay for a '99 G20

It's a lot for a potential outcome that may be less than the envisioned in the end. Given what else need be done in the day to day goings on I'm thinking it best to try to part it out and just get something entirely different. There are just too many irons in the fire and this is an area of specialization I cannot entertain nor gain expertise at in a short time period at the moment. Thanks for the insight everyone.

Top Bottom