• ...and so much more!
  • nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    Hey :ingo:!

I'm looking to buy my dad a new target setup for his handgun shooting. Ever since I was young, he's used two old steel rods and just put a large piece of cardboard over it with some targets taped to it. This works well enough, except the targets are always lower to the ground than the shooter, so you're aiming at a pretty steep downward angle. It certainly makes shooting challenging and just doesn't seem like very good practice to me, unless you're wanting to practice shooting ground varmints :)

With that being said, I'm in West Lafayette... does anyone know of a local place that sells some sort of targeting system that would provide a more natural shooting angle? Or have suggestions for how to fabricate one? I'm going to his house on Sunday for mother's day and I'd love to bring him something.

Thanks!

ghosst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2015
    Lapel
    I made 2 PVC stands, took all of 30 minutes. If you go the PVC route make sure to add weight to the bottom, I added play sand to mine, and so far they have held up in 20 mph winds.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    If you go the PVC route make sure to add weight to the bottom,
    Agreed - I've made several of these PVC target stands. They work great and can be knocked down for transport. As mentioned, the only issue is that they are light weight and will blow over in a moderate breeze. Put sand or concrete in the bottom rails and they are pretty stable.

nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    I have made myself some of the target stands shown at the following link...
    Educational Zone #24 - Homemade Target Stand The Box O' Truth
    You can make them any size or height for not much cash at all. They work well as long as you are not a bad enough shot that you shoot the pvc as it will not stand up to a bullet from any caliber.

The smile on my dad's face when he realized what I made him for his birthday was priceless. We put it to immediate use. Thank you all for helping! :ingo:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I don't know what your price range is but have you considered just looking into steel targets? You should check out Bobcat Steel, they southeast of Indy and their targets are fantastic!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    ^^^ that depends on what he has access to and is wanting to build...

OP is sounds like your dad is wanting to transport this? I welded some rods on the back of some plates and hung them in a row and it works fantastic! However it's not so portable. The reason I mentioned something such as the bobcat steel stuff. They along like many other manufactures have portable targets and the stands already made that are super easy and light weight to use. Better than something you can make at home unless you have a CNC (something not many have access to) to get nice edges, and I am assuming if you had that you wound't be asking us this haha.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    The smile on my dad's face when he realized what I made him for his birthday was priceless. We put it to immediate use. Thank you all for helping! :ingo:

My apologies OP I didn't realize that was you in this post! It looks based on this post you have already gifted something to your dad... PVC to place your furring strips into and put your target on? It looks like it works very well! Super happy to hear that he was happy with it!

I hope you guys have fun!

Top Bottom