• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    Hi, I know that just about everyone here is way beyond this point but I am putting together a video for people considering purchasing a firearm for in home self defense. This is the first part of a three part series. This part covers the very basics to put someone in the proper sized handgun. Part 2 will discuss all of the features that vary from gun to gun, sights, polymer vs. metal, safeties, etc.

I also need help with Part 3, I want to go to a gunshop and range (preferably both) and interview someone on the proper gun shop etiquette, you know, don't start pointing the gun at everyone in the store type of thing. My problem is I don't know who is 1.) close to me (in NWI) and 2.) would be willing to do this. Any suggestions?

HERE IS PART 2 WITH INPUT FROM THIS THREAD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeEW-QXcFUs

Here is the first video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZwNyHBJtqU

Last edited:

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    A suggestion: Get acquainted with your local gun shop. Inquire about local gun clubs, shooting ranges, or conservation clubs. There's nothing better than rubbing elbows with like minded people. Many of these clubs, ect. offer good safety courses. After all safety is just plain good etiquette.......:@ya:.....<><Duce

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    A suggestion: Get acquainted with your local gun shop. Inquire about local gun clubs, shooting ranges, or conservation clubs. There's nothing better than rubbing elbows with like minded people. Many of these clubs, ect. offer good safety courses. After all safety is just plain good etiquette.......:@ya:.....<><Duce

I know gun shop etiquette, but I felt it would be nice to kind of interview someone from a gunshop. I don't feel comfortable asking this of my local gunshop. I live near Cabelas, that might work, but I would rather talk to a smaller shop that has friendly folks working there...I'll leave it at that.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    Any reason why you didn't mention revolvers? I'll admit I'm biased, but several times I have heard others recommend new gun owners consider wheel guns.

vork08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    NWI
    Have you been Blythe's? The few times I have actually spoken with their staff, I have been really surprised how much time they invest, kowing i was unable to purchase at those times.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, if you live close to Cabela's, Blythe's in Griffith would be a close option. Also, could check with Deb's in Hammond. If you need assistance in that area, PM me.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    Around the 7 min mark, you mentioned that a SA would be better in home defense. In my experience, when my nerves are firing like in a high stress situation, it would be very easy to accidentally pull a light trigger before you were ready.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    Around the 7 min mark, you mentioned that a SA would be better in home defense. In my experience, when my nerves are firing like in a high stress situation, it would be very easy to accidentally pull a light trigger before you were ready.

You may be correct but I am balancing that against possibly missing your target because your trigger pull takes you off aim. My other thought is that your finger shouldn't be on the trigger unless you are certain you are going to fire your weapon.

Which brings up a scenario. No matter the bravado that is presented here at INGO, if an intruder is standing in front of you, is your finger on the trigger of the gun that is aimed at him? Lets say you don't know whether or not he has a gun and there isn't one pointed at you. If your finger is on the trigger at this point than I understand your comment.

In addition, if the intruder does have a weapon or you are losing control of the situation i.e. he is still advancing, by all means, finger on the trigger as you are ready to fire.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I believe Andy from Blythe's in Valpo is an active member on this board and goes by the screen name of SadClown or something like that. Since the Valpo store is awesome and their range is bright and clean, I would HIGHLY recommend getting in touch with him and setting something up for over there.

Also, Sturmgewehr from Military Arms Channel is a Valpo-ite and customer of Blythes...and fellow INGO-er, perhaps you can ask him to make a cameo for you.

EDIT. and not to be a douche...unless you have crazy ass Marty Feldman eyes, loose the shades. You lost me on your last vid as well. Unless you are outside, loose the shades. I cannot take anybody seriously when they are in a basement surrounded by a black curtain and video recording with shades on. If I didn't love ya like a brothah, I would have let you continue without saying a word...good luck!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    I believe Andy from Blythe's in Valpo is an active member on this board and goes by the screen name of SadClown or something like that. Since the Valpo store is awesome and their range is bright and clean, I would HIGHLY recommend getting in touch with him and setting something up for over there.

Also, Sturmgewehr from Military Arms Channel is a Valpo-ite and customer of Blythes...and fellow INGO-er, perhaps you can ask him to make a cameo for you.

EDIT. and not to be a douche...unless you have crazy ass Marty Feldman eyes, loose the shades. You lost me on your last vid as well. Unless you are outside, loose the shades. I cannot take anybody seriously when they are in a basement surrounded by a black curtain and video recording with shades on. If I didn't love ya like a brothah, I would have let you continue without saying a word...good luck!

Which video did I lose you on? I am interest in knowing so I can improve? As far as the shades...until I can memorize what I've written I'd look like a loon. I am considering changing the background as soon as I can afford to.

Top Bottom