• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vicfirth01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I am looking to buy an AK-47. I do not want a SKS or AK-74. I don't want to spend a fortune on one (less than 800). I would like to know what to look for when buying one and also where good places are to look for them and buy. Any information you guys could give would be helpful.

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    No offense but there is loads of information if you use the search function. Members are not going to just spoon feed you information. Do some looking around and come back with more specific questions that you're still unsure about.

Welcome to INGO btw, hope you'll stick around.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Welcome to the group!

:welcome:

Unfortunately this is a bad time to try to get into AK variants. With all the import bans, the once $200 WASR-10 jumped to $450 and thanks to the gun-hater-in-chief they are now going for around $1000 +/- $200.

Chinese MAK-90s which were well under $500 are now also around the $1K mark.

Best thing you can do is hit local gun shops and see what they have. Check Gunbroker for what they are selling for online, and not asking prices but actual sold prices.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I would avoid the older Romanian ones. Make sure the sights aren't canted, make sure the barrel is in good shape, and test the function of it a few times. If all is well and you like the price pick it up

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    All "the deals" are gone now and the best you're going to do in this market is slightly better then rotten. Not to say there aren't some hookups out there.. but you're gonna have to dig for them.

The lower priced AKMs will be WASR 10/63s and AMD 65s. Nohting wrong with either. The AMD 65 is actually a very fine weapon despite it's unconventional AK appearance. The FEG arsenal in Hungary is top notch. You might get a deal on a MAC90 still also. They seemed to be around the same price as a WASR last I looked.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    thanks for the info, i'll check out gunbroker and see what they are going for

The best advice I have for you is to become a site supporter and try to buy something in the INGO classifieds. Gun Broker will not only cost you an arm and a leg, but your first born. Anymore, INGO is getting just as bad, but I hope you find what you are looking for.

Zachary8328

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    I'm glad I got my AK earlier last year cause man I can't find one anywhere now. Those boys at BGF gave me a heck of a deal on it. Good luck on your search buddy they're fun to shoot.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    My 2 cents, I would recommend having extreme patience and waiting to see if the crazy buying panic eases up. After the first election of obama-messiah there was a similar run on AR-15s which became impossible to find. About six months or so after he was inaugurated, there was suddenly a slow down in purchasing, but by that time manufacturers were in full production and it wasn't long till they were everywhere at very reasonable prices.

I hope the AK market does a similar thing, but I have to say something in the back of my mind is haunting me, that there will be a slight drop followed by another panic.

Another issue is the importation ban that ATF is using as a way to block rifles from other countries. Receivers, barrels, and from some countries, whole rifles are banned from importation so rifles like the once plentiful MAK-90 are getting harder to come by and more expensive as more people get into the market.

Something I have told many people, if you find something you like, have the money and are afraid that this panic just might last longer than we hope, get it and just be happy you have it. Sometimes paying a little extra now will look like a bargain in the future.

sms9510

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Marion, IN
    You could build one from a kit, nodakspud receiver, new trigger and 922r parts you would have under 800 bones. Probably somebody close to you who has the know how and tools. Lots of forums abandon out there. That is how I got my first two AKs.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    ARMSLIST - For Sale: AK-47 Maadi Egypt with Dragunov Rear Stock

All things considered, you're not likely to get a better deal than that right now. A butt stock and pistol grip are cheap if you don't like that one. act fast if it isnt bought already. Maadi's are good

Just checked that listing. The Maadi ARM is the more desirable of the post-Bush1-ban rifles, and although the idea of $800 for a Maadi seems high, per my above post that is not bad these days.

asassine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2015
    Dallas
    I too love the Maadis. Really love my Polytechs, but are crazy pricey. Hard to find nice AK's these days. I recently purchased one of the Zastava M92-PAP's and it is a blast to shoot. I picked mine up for $399.00, great bang for the buck. I am always looking for another Maadi if anyone here has one for sale!

MPD742

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2014
    Grant County
    I purchased a Century under folder over 2 years ago and it has performed flawlessly. Uses bulgarian, romanian, polish, and tapco magazines with no issues. I put a bushnell trs 25 red dot which makes it a blast to shoot.

athyen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Tipton county
    I was hoping to get into the AK market here soon too... I hadn't realized that it had gone downhill so much. As far as local Indianapolis gun shops go, are there any that seem to consistently have quality AK's in stock?

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I was hoping to get into the AK market here soon too... I hadn't realized that it had gone downhill so much. As far as local Indianapolis gun shops go, are there any that seem to consistently have quality AK's in stock?

Bradis is the default answer for shops around Indy. You might want to look at the DDI AK47 stamped. I think AGS Armament has them in stock. It did really well in Rob Ski's torture test.

Top Bottom