• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 09jjtierney

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    hi, wondering if anyone can pass along some wisdom to me. next year i am planning to move out west, to washington state. me and my family love to camp and hike but out there in the mountains there is a lot bigger game, bear, moose, mountain lion, etc. though i dont plan on hunting worried about protection. i currently carry 9mm but i dont think that will be enough if i should need to defend against big animals. should i invest in bigger caliber? and if so i need suggestions. a friend has a cz 52 for sale [7.62x25] or thought maybe a .44 mag? just looking to see if anyone has any insight or experience in this. if legal out there when we camp i have a sks [7.62x39] i can take but when hiking will only be a pistol. thanks for any positive imput.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    As someone who lived in Montana I would suggest a 44 Mag or 45 Colt revolver either DA or SA (Ruger Blackhawks are very economical. If that is not an option your 9mm can work as a back up to a good lever or say an 870 with Brenikies but if using g a 9mm/357 40 etc you must be able to put the round into an eye socket or mouth hitting the CMS aka brain stem (on larger bears it can deflect off the skull so watch that)

But you will probably be just fine. I never had any issues but when I saw evidence of Grizzlies I took additional precautions (like not trying to feed them like the one or two fatalities did at Glacier every year)

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    There's only one autoloader caliber I'd consider: 10mm. And then only with hotter Underwood or Buffalo Bore hardcast loads.

For dangerous game, you need a heavy, high-sectional-density bullet. That means a revolver. That means at LEAST .357 Mag with 158 or 180gr load, but I'd recommend .44 to .50 as where you really want to be. I think the .460XVR makes a lot of sense as you can shoot 45LC, .454 Casull and .460 S&W. Being able to shoot 3 different calibers helps with ammo availability in emergency situations.

Also, Buffalo Bore has an excellent "bear medicine" load in .460:
    large_126_26b-250-cb.jpg

More important than caliber is choosing a heavy hardcast load.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Smith 329 PD..........and no, not with 300 gr bullets.
    Shot one a dude had, 265's medium hot............w factory wood grips.
    Wasn't bad, but it did climb quite a bit!

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Bear spray is more effective than any handgun, just carry that.

I was going to recommend a 44 mag, Redhawk, or Super Blackhawk, or a 629. 5 1/2 in barrel minimum. Hit them with the bear spray first...if that does not work, then option 2. I have heard the bear spray actually is more effective, but I don't believe everything I hear, and always like a back up plan.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    "Cartridge selection? Well, I really believe any handgun you bring to any fight should have a name that starts with at least a 4. That’s really important if you are fighting a bear! I think the rule of “4-3-1” should apply: a bullet diameter that starts with at least a 4, a bullet weight that starts with at least a 3 and a muzzle velocity of at least 1000 fps."

Found this tip in American Hunter.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Bear spray is more effective than any handgun, just carry that.

"In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear confrontations, the Montana Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and be alert for bears while in the field. …We advise that outdoorsmen wear small bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren’t expecting them, and to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter… It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear droppings. Black bear droppings are smaller and contain lots of berries and fur. Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in it and smell like pepper."

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    That is all fun and hilarious I am sure but bear spray is provably more effective than a firearm, handguns included.

Having spent some time hunting in Co and AK I have to say that that is one of the most uninformed opinions on the subject I've ever heard. A guide gun in .45-70 will stop a charging griz an eternity before pepper spray. Perhaps you forgot the sarcasm font or purple? :twocents:

Top Bottom