Negative experiences with skeletonized receivers? And CF handguards?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I'm wanting to build a super low weight AR15 and have seen several threads on forums about the obvious drawback being things working their way inside etc.

Has anyone here had any problems besides that with a skeletonized upper / lower?

I might just do the lower and skip the upper(s).

Part of the plan is to use this lower with a Tromix 458 socom upper as well and I got really excited when I saw the option of a skeletonized 458 upper offered from them. But it said the heavy duty version was the recommended version.

I'd imagine the smart move on 458 would be to just go normal route and save weight elsewhere.

And how about carbon fiber handguards? Anyone crunch one up tightening something too hard in an Mlok or on a pic rail like Smoke Composites can come with?

I'm going to order 1 from Smoke Composites as soon as I hear back about whichever barrel comes back in stock first I'm waiting on so I know which length to go for.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I'm hoping to see some experiences here too. Kinda curious myself.

I did a lightweight build a couple years ago and during my search I came to a few conclusions....

Best route to go is muzzle to stock. Forward weight savings adds up faster.

Get a light muzzle device, barrel, gas block, handguard, and barrel nut first. That's where the meat and potatoes is at.

You CAN save weight with a LW BCG, however many people run into cycling issues and end up needing adjustable gas blocks. One of the designers of the original variant (Jim Sullivan) said in an interview with In Range that "people were crazy for taking weight out of the BCG" that being said you can make them work right. Its all balance.

I would be hesitant to get a skeletonized upper in 458 considering what's goin on in there. However you might be able to save some weight with a magnesium lower and titanium parts down there.

I'd probably do a carbine buffer system and lightweight 6 position to top it off. Rifle length is nicer but I think it adds more weight.

This is my 14.5 lightweight build. 5 lbs without optics. Standard carrier and buffer. Faxon gunner barrel.
    20210813_195101.jpg

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I'm hoping to see some experiences here too. Kinda curious myself.

I did a lightweight build a couple years ago and during my search I came to a few conclusions....

Best route to go is muzzle to stock. Forward weight savings adds up faster.

Get a light muzzle device, barrel, gas block, handguard, and barrel nut first. That's where the meat and potatoes is at.

You CAN save weight with a LW BCG, however many people run into cycling issues and end up needing adjustable gas blocks. One of the designers of the original variant (Jim Sullivan) said in an interview with In Range that "people were crazy for taking weight out of the BCG" that being said you can make them work right. Its all balance.

I would be hesitant to get a skeletonized upper in 458 considering what's goin on in there. However you might be able to save some weight with a magnesium lower and titanium parts down there.

I'd probably do a carbine buffer system and lightweight 6 position to top it off. Rifle length is nicer but I think it adds more weight.

This is my 14.5 lightweight build. 5 lbs without optics. Standard carrier and buffer. Faxon gunner barrel.
    View attachment 191965

I keep debating on the barrel. Either way I'm going Faxon but pencil or flame fluted? It's a 10 ounce difference so it is significant, but I think for the sake of 'what if' I'd rather just have the extra meat on the bones right there. The barrel is already very light to begin with by going with the flame fluted variant.

Are magnesium lowers considered safe now? I remember seeing so many articles and videos about them just breaking super easily and often just a few years ago.

What upper did you go with?

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I keep debating on the barrel. Either way I'm going Faxon but pencil or flame fluted? It's a 10 ounce difference so it is significant, but I think for the sake of 'what if' I'd rather just have the extra meat on the bones right there. The barrel is already very light to begin with by going with the flame fluted variant.

Are magnesium lowers considered safe now? I remember seeing so many articles and videos about them just breaking super easily and often just a few years ago.

What upper did you go with?
    In my opinion, unless you plan on hot rodding the 458 or using it for suppressing fire, the lightweight barrel is the way to go. Its the main source of weight savings.

Unsure on the magnesium being safe or unsafe, take a look at the VSEVEN lineup. They sell a lithium aluminum alloy receiver that is quite a bit lighter. Their stuff is premium, for what it cost it better darn well be safe! Ha

VSEVEN caters heavily to the lightweight builders. I think you will find lots of useful components there for your project.

As far as my reciever set, nothing special to speak of. Anderson upper and lower. I didnt feel the need to change them once I put it together and saw how light it was.

If I take any more weight off it from this point, red dot would have to change. That Vortex Sparc is almost a pound. After that, titanium barrel nut, forward assist, selector, and takedown pins.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    In my opinion, unless you plan on hot rodding the 458 or using it for suppressing fire, the lightweight barrel is the way to go. Its the main source of weight savings.

Unsure on the magnesium being safe or unsafe, take a look at the VSEVEN lineup. They sell a lithium aluminum alloy receiver that is quite a bit lighter. Their stuff is premium, for what it cost it better darn well be safe! Ha

VSEVEN caters heavily to the lightweight builders. I think you will find lots of useful components there for your project.

As far as my reciever set, nothing special to speak of. Anderson upper and lower. I didnt feel the need to change them once I put it together and saw how light it was.

If I take any more weight off it from this point, red dot would have to change. That Vortex Sparc is almost a pound. After that, titanium barrel nut, forward assist, selector, and takedown pins.
    Oh my bad. For the 458 I only have one choice and that's going with Tromix. I've heard way too many fantastic things not to go with their barrel and bcg.

Lightweight barrel going on a lightweight 556 upper to match a light weight lower for the two.

The only thing Tromix offers for light weight is their skeletonized receiver but they say they recommended the heavy duty one right on the build sheet.

Thanks for the vseven link though I'll check them out!

desnifter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2022
    USA
    Two problems with skeletonized receivers:

1. It's very easy for dirt and debris to get into the rifle. Don't want your day shut down by a pebble or some mud that otherwise would have been out of the rifle.

2. In the event of an out of battery detonation, most of the force is directed out of the magwell away from your face. If your receiver if skeletonized, I hope you're wearing eye protection and have good insurance.

There are other areas of the rifle that you can save weight on, the receiver would not be one of them for me.

Top Bottom