• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    My question would be did you stand him up or let him know you couldn't make it beforehand via pm or a call. If it was me I wouldn't have gave you neg feedback if you let me know beforehand and I have had that happen. A no show however definitely warrants negative feedback

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Depends on the contents of the PM. If the buyer said "I'll take it", then a deal was struck, and should have been honored immediately. As a seller, it really pisses me off when someone commits to a deal and then backs out. I save negative feedback as a last resort.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Don't hastily commit to a purchase if you're not willing to accept the terms and conditions.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Depends on the contents of the PM. If the buyer said "I'll take it", then a deal was struck, and should have been honored immediately. As a seller, it really pisses me off when someone commits to a deal and then backs out. I save negative feedback as a last resort.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Don't hastily commit to a purchase if you're not willing to accept the terms and conditions.

AMEN!!!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I was supposed to get a phone call to confirm that the guy was back but I didn't get it, all I got was a nasty PM and neg feedback.

Hang on, in your top post, you said:

I honestly forgot about the other guy and the deal we made
    So, now you're changing your story to say that he didn't call you to tell you he was in town? I'm a little confused at this point because you started a thread to bash another member but when people disagreed with your complaint, you changed your story and then went on to say that you're "done defending yourself". What, exactly, were you trying to accomplish with this thread?

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    If your gonna post a thread about something like this then it would behoove you or anyone else for that matter to present the whole thing upfront.

What you are doing now leaves the impression that you are trying to include additional information after the fact to portray yourself in a better light due to all the negative feedback you've received from others posting in this thread which quite frankly I don't think you were expecting.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Reductio ad absurdum?

I'm not sure why you'd think the seller has any liability. Both parties agreed to a meeting, the timing of which is irrelevant. You might just as easily say "Well, the seller posted the ad right before dinner, knowing perfectly well that he wouldn't be available to meet for at least an hour." or "posted right before bed knowing he had to work in the morning and couldn't meet until after work." As long as he was upfront about any potential delays and the buyer agreed to it, then where's the problem? Should all sellers have to clear their schedules from the time they place the ad until the time the deal is completed just in case someone accepts the offer?

The problem with using the Reductio Ad Absurdum line of logic is that those aren't the facts. Usually not the best way to counter an argumnet or position. Basically makes the counterpoint moot in my mind.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The problem with using the Reductio Ad Absurdum line of logic is that those aren't the facts. Usually not the best way to counter an argumnet or position. Basically makes the counterpoint moot in my mind.

Both the argument and the counter-argument are moot. Both parties agreed to the delay. One party then decided to use the delay as an argument after the fact.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    Dude you screwed up posting this lol. Should have just let it be. Lesson: think about what your gonna type before you do it. When it comes to a semi-unregulated buy/sell system like this you have to stick to your word because that's all you really have. I've been stood up before on a sale and it really does suck.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have had nothing but good dealings on this site both buying and selling and hope to do a whole lot more in the future. I gotta say I agree with most others. If a deal was made and a time and place were set to meet then you are at fault. It sounds like he showed up at the meeting place, probably waited for a for a while, and you did not show. I would be rather upset if somebody wasted my time like that as well. If you say you will be there, be there. Emergency's do come up but everybody these days has a cell phone. Use it.

My advice to you if you want it is keep doing business on here and learn from this mistake. Get good feedback and that one bad mark can be a lesson learned.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Hang on, in your top post, you said:

So, now you're changing your story to say that he didn't call you to tell you he was in town? I'm a little confused at this point because you started a thread to bash another member but when people disagreed with your complaint, you changed your story and then went on to say that you're "done defending yourself". What, exactly, were you trying to accomplish with this thread?

This pretty much covers my thoughts too.

foot_in_mouth.jpg

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    I somehow placed a bid on some ammo on Gunbroker.com. I got a win notice, and honestly didn't log in when this bid was placed. However, because it shows I did place the bid, I contacted the seller. He said that he had never heard of that, and he was disappointed. I told him that I intended to follow through with the sale in either event, and sent him a check. Sometimes, you write a check for the "greater good", and let things work out where they will. The seller left a wonderful positive feedback for me, and I will for him as well. Honor is honor, do the right thing. Backing out was NOT the right thing...if he was contacting you after six months, I see your point. But, he did tell you he was out of town, and you DID agree to buy it.

Write the check...

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Heck, I got negative feedback for leaving a a member who traded me a broken scope, refused to make it right, then left ME negative feedback in retaliation. At least yours was valid. :)

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I had a guy leave me negative feedback for not showing up to a deal that was never confirmed...so he assumed it would be on....my feedback was never removed.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Another reason I try to save negative feedback as an absolute last resort...The guy on the other end of the internet will almost certainly retaliate with negative feedback of his own, whether you deserve it or not.

Are we not grown ups?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I wish you wouldn't have edited all your post to "I was wrong, everyone is right.....". Makes it a little hard to take your side :noway:.
    I don't think the reaction he got was quite what he expected. That's the chance you take when you post things hoping that everybody will take your side in a disagreement. Sometimes it just does'nt work out that way.

People are gonna be brutally honest at times if you ask them to chime in on something, especially here on IINGO and you better be prepared to handle that from the get go and not get a case of red ass if things don't quite turn out your way. :twocents:

pops66goat

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Greenfield IN.
    I wish you wouldn't have edited all your post to "I was wrong, everyone is right.....". Makes it a little hard to take your side :noway:.

I tried to explain myself and wanted every ones honest opinion. I was being totally honest and tried to make it right to the seller more than once and he didn't care. I tried to give all the information I could about it and was accused of lying and changing my story etc... I have bought and sold many things on here with no issue, in fact had the same thing happen to me, but I didn't make a big deal and leave negative comments about the guy. I respect every ones opinion and my mistake was to not contact the seller when I found the better deal. He also should have done more to keep me informed of his schedule, I had a timeline of buying ammo for a range trip and he wasn't available to sell the ammo when I needed it so I did what I had to do to keep my plans. I'm a big boy and can take some bashing, the whole point of posting this was to try to get the seller to chime in and maybe make it right on his end. Thanks for all your opinions and comments.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If it were me, I wouldn't be interested in continuing to do business. I've been burned too many times. I don't give second chances to "make it right". You make it right the first time. You stand me up without a good reason and we're done.

Sick? Had to go out of town? Had to work late and need to reschedule? Sure. I'm not unreasonable. We're good. You forgot? Found a better deal? Didn't want to wait, even though you agreed to it? We're done. You're crossed off my list and we're never dealing again. I don't have time to be jerked around and you're not getting a second chance to screw me.

Top Bottom