• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    So my wife and I were in the gun library looking at a Kahr for her. Yesterday we bought back my XD9. A short, fat employee walks past us and points at me (from about 10 feet away) while he's walking out and this is how it went....

"Sir, your slip is showing"

I immediately looked at my fly and looked at him with a puzzled look.

"Your gun, cover it up, NOW"

I said "This is an OC state, as well as an OC establishment"

"I don't care, cover it up"

At that point he had walked out, I had 5-6 people looking at me, as well as another gun library employee. The other employee said " Don't mind him, he's new, you can carry as long as it's not considered intimidation". I said "I'm in jeans and a tshirt with an XD on my hip, I'm here with my wife, I don't see people running away scared". He then mumbled how intimidation was a felony, while still stating that other employee didn't know what he was saying.

So I then go down to the Customer Service booth and ask for a gun manager. He comes down and this is how that went.

I said "I don't appreciate your employee talking to me like a child, we just spent $600+ here yesterday and were going to spend at least $4-500 more today. It is embarassing for an employee at a "gun store" to scold me about how to carry my gun."

He then went on about intimidation and what not, so I told him I know you guys had some heat a while back about discriminating and harassing OC'ers. He said "Well that was like a biker gang that came in with big guns with the hammers back". I gave him the "WTF" look.

I demanded an apology and he said he can't make him apologize but he apologizes for him. He then said if we did ask you to cover up you would have to or leave. I said "Are you asking me to cover it up?". He said "NO." I said " Ok then, I'm going to keep shopping in my tactical flip flops." It is definately too cold to wear flip flops any more. I froze my ass off.

We ended up just buying a belt and sweater for my wife. My brother works there and my stepdaughter's friend's Dad is a manager. I am not sure if I want to take it further, but it still has me pretty pissed.

/rant

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I would have bought nothing, after explaining why they lost the sale of a high ticket item and returned what was possible to return of things I recently purchased and let them know why.

Money is the only thing that talks. And it has to speak higher levels than what you did.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Maybe we should have our NWI oc day here.
    I always thought the store policy was that if you have a license, you may carry but do not unholster your firearm. Do they still have all those signs up by the holster display?
    The intimidation thing is a red herring, the Indiana courts have ruled one more than one occasion that merely possesing or displaying a firearm is not intimidation. Some of the best cases have been cited here on various threads and I have have read at least a couple of more due to my own situation.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Funny how these stories about Cabela's continue to crop up time after time. They claim to be pro-carry, but it's just not true.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    There are too many places to buy guns to have to put up with stuff like that. The only thing I buy from large chains is clothing.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I think you should write a letter to corporate, explaining to them just what you explained to us.

Make sure to tell them that you shared your Cabela's experience with nearly 11,000 other Indiana gun owners, and those gun owners would really like for them to come here and explain why we should continue to patronize them, and what steps they've taken to ensure such incidents do not keep occurring.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    How can you fight in flip flops?

It's not a sandal world, wear some shoes.

We cannot allow a heckler's veto to control our rights. Get in their face and punch back twice as hard.

Return the merchandise. Start writing letters to HQ.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    If the guy was really new, then their training methods are pretty bad. Part of the training should be to tell employees that open carry is legal. Seems like they need to revise their employee handbook as well.

Lobo

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    I'd have thrown you out of the store, as well.

I don't know where in the Constitution it says that you have a right to do this. The public shouldn't have to look at that, and in reality, there should be a law passed to stop people like you. I've seen this myself while out shopping, and personally, I think it's ridiculous. It offers no advantage whatsoever, and may even hinder you if something bad goes down and you have to react quickly.

I mean, really dude. Who wears flip-flops in public? :n00b:

:D

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    If the guy was really new, then their training methods are pretty bad. Part of the training should be to tell employees that open carry is legal. Seems like they need to revise their employee handbook as well.

That's a point I wanted to discuss with the manager but I was so upset it slipped my mind. When I told him it was legal he said but this is private property. So I said "Well are you asking me to leave or cover it up?" and he continued to say no.

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I'd have thrown you out of the store, as well.

I don't know where in the Constitution it says that you have a right to do this. The public shouldn't have to look at that, and in reality, there should be a law passed to stop people like you. I've seen this myself while out shopping, and personally, I think it's ridiculous. It offers no advantage whatsoever, and may even hinder you if something bad goes down and you have to react quickly.

I mean, really dude. Who wears flip-flops in public? :n00b:

:D

I think you forgot the purple....

Maybe PD should CC too?

Demo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    Excuse me if I missed it- where is this store at?

It's completely unproffessional for a employee, regardless of the "cause" to yell across the room to a customer. He should have walked up to you and "corrected" you face to face. I'd bet he did not out of doubt of the actual store policy.

Frankly I'm pissed for you. Rude, loudmouth, unintelligent people **** me right off. Especially when they think they have some authority.

Please post where this joint is.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom