• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should training and qualification be required for a LTCH

• Yes

Votes: 13 12.4%
    • No

Votes: 79 75.2%
    • Bacon.. I hesitate to post a poll without bacon.

Votes: 24 22.9%

• Total voters

hoglegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    NWI
    I voted no even though I believe an applicant should be able to display some proficiency and understand basic firearms safety. But as it has been posted repeatedly, you know damn well that system would be abused to no end. I could just imagine the requirements 20 years from now: 29 of 30 shots in the 10 ring at 50 yards, 98% score on your 200 question exam & 20/20 vision. Oh and don't forget your mandatory LTCH insurance policy that no company will underwrite, so no one can get a licence anyway.
    I lost my nephew to a ND and that was a tragedy that could have been avoided had his friend just followed basic firearms safety. I drill firearms safety to my kids even with toy guns & remind them of their cousins fate. Would mandatory training have saved his life? Only God knows. Maybe the state can funnel some tax dollars for a free basic pistol course for all new licences to incentivize training instead of making it mandatory.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Kirk Freeman had one of the best plans, a few years back. Make firearms training costs tax deductible.

Taking it further, make the tax deduction like contract work. All costs involved deductible, with receipts. Fuel, hotel, ammo,...

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Wasn't that part of Emily Miller's book, 'Emily Gets Her Gun', detailing the challenges of getting a permit in DC? I seem to recall that there was a training requirement, but no indication of where one could get trained.
    I don't know about that book.
    What I was thinking of was many years ago, there was a town hall type show on gun control, where they had people on both sides, including some Police Chiefs from some major cities.

One of them was Police Chiel Daryl Gates of Los Angeles.
    He made it clear he didn't think regular citizens should be allowed to carry.

Gates kept harping on how since police needed to be trained, and periodically re-qualify to carry a weapon, then at the very least, average people should have to be trained and periodically re qualify too.

The Moderator then said to gates, "And I suppose when it comes time for average citizens to be trained and qualify, there won't actually be anyplace to do that....".

TO WHICH Gates made a sly smile that said "you got it!".

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wasn't that part of Emily Miller's book, 'Emily Gets Her Gun', detailing the challenges of getting a permit in DC? I seem to recall that there was a training requirement, but no indication of where one could get trained.
    I may be wrong, but as I recall they implemented the training requirement before they setup a training certification program to allow training to actually happen.

Kinda like Biden's "free" covid test for every home. Setting up something before the market could support it.

Something something horse and cart. (though I would estimate the DC thing was malicious)

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Kinda like Biden's "free" covid test for every home. Setting up something before the market could support it.

Something something horse and cart. (though I would estimate the DC thing was malicious)

Speaking of markets... They wouldn't talk like this if it cost them anything to do so.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I don't know about that book.
    What I was thinking of was many years ago, there was a town hall type show on gun control, where they had people on both sides, including some Police Chiefs from some major cities.

One of them was Police Chiel Daryl Gates of Los Angeles.
    He made it clear he didn't think regular citizens should be allowed to carry.

Gates kept harping on how since police needed to be trained, and periodically re-qualify to carry a weapon, then at the very least, average people should have to be trained and periodically re qualify too.

The Moderator then said to gates, "And I suppose when it comes time for average citizens to be trained and qualify, there won't actually be anyplace to do that....".

TO WHICH Gates made a sly smile that said "you got it!".
    And that is why I can't support a training requirement - because individuals in positions of power to affect the rights of citizens have a history of acting in bad faith

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I may be wrong, but as I recall they implemented the training requirement before they setup a training certification program to allow training to actually happen.

So, very similar to NJ's law that once a smart gun is on the market that they'll move to ban the sale of traditional firearms.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So, very similar to NJ's law that once a smart gun is on the market that they'll move to ban the sale of traditional firearms.
    That’s why no new gun designs are available in Kali. Only older models. Because any gun that didn’t exist after a certain date has to have microstamping on the firing pin. Since nobody wants that (or to pay royalties) them keep pumping out gen3 glocks, etc.

Last edited:

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    That’s why no new guns are available in Kali. Only older models. Because any gun that didn’t exist after a certain date has to have microstamping on the firing pin. Since nobody wants that (or to pay royalties) them keep pumping out gen3 glocks, etc.

And, of course, microstamping is a worthless feature

Top Bottom