• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Planted sweet corn a couple of summers ago...The coons know when it is almost ready..ran four of them up a tree one night.THEN I called the local CO to see if I could shoot them ( Last line may be very purple). I am not looking to break laws...I DO,however,believe that the animals do not belong to the KING..at least not when they are on my property.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't bait , that's not hunting.( the way I like to hunt anyway) But putting cologne around his stand is illegal too. I had someone put a couple Mennen speed sticks around my stand a couple years ago. Lucky they didn't steal my summit ,while they were at it.
    Hard to tell if their hunting on your property. I always try to position my stand so the tree is between me and the way I expect the deer to come.(during archery) Your probably right , catch him in the act , sitting over bait,and confront him.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I think there's a difference between moral and legal in this case. I don't think that putting out some food/bait deer is any more of an immorral act than sitting on the edge of the corn field where the tractors turn and spill corn every year. Is it immoral to hunt where a deer takes a drink of water or consumes anything to keep itself alive? What would the difference be between a bucket trough of water in the middle of nowhere and a small pond for that matter? People get all caught up on splitting hairs on what brought the animal in, but they completely lose focus that the hunter makes a decision on whether or not to kill an animal. Personally I've shot more wild game with cameras than guns. I hunted with a guide in the Michigan U.P. and he used bait. He was an old timer who'd been hunting his whole life and he said that all the bait ever did was give the animal a reason to stop & present a shot while walking through. I hunted over bait (corn and couple apples) in MI with him for a week on two seperate trips and only saw two deer on the first day that I let walk. People get this impression that because there's bait involved that there's a hidden landmine nearby and everything that takes a bite of it gets killed without a second thought. Nothing could be farther from the truth for hunters who use it as just one more means to get a chance at an animal. I'll stop my rant now.

As far as what to do with your neighbor, I'd let him know as one concerned neighbor to another. There's nothing wrong with saying that "hey, the guy you're letting hunt is doing something illegal and that if he got caught on your land doing it, it'd be your on the line as well". Other than that, I'd leave it be.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    1. You don't know for sure he's hunting over the bait for deer. He has 10 days to clean it up before hunting the stand for deer or turkeys.
    2. Hunting varmints over bait is not illegal in indiana.
    3. If you are hunting a trail that eventually lands on the bait you may also be "poaching"; CO's discretion.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    If he is looking into your property with the camera is he hunting your land from the stand???

The land we hunt has a similar situation with the neighbor. He set up just inside the line looking into my friends property. My friend has his land set up for hunting. Deer/turkey and Coyote. They run amok on his place. He will not take a Doe only full rack bucks which he gets his limit every year.
    Idiot neighbor has taken Doe across the property line as we see the entrails and blood trail. We confronted the A$$ hat in question and informed him not to cross the line/not to take game off the property and to turn his stand. He did not. This year I fear it will go to the next level. I think this tree and stand are on the ground now. Chainsaws rule.
    People are idiots. They think it is cool to do such things missing out on the true nature of hunting.

So because this guy was breaking the rules, you broke the rules in return, by going onto the neighbors property and cutting the tree down?

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    Turn him in!
    It the shoe was on the other foot,he wouldnt be asking what to do on a forum.
    He would just make the call and turn you in.
    Its unethical. period
    They need to ban food plots and game cameras also.
    They lead to a unfair advantage.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    Turn him in!
    It the shoe was on the other foot,he wouldnt be asking what to do on a forum.
    He would just make the call and turn you in.
    Its unethical. period
    They need to ban food plots and game cameras also.
    They lead to a unfair advantage

When I hunt, it's for food. Unfair advantage is a laughable concept from my perspective.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    When I hunt, it's for food. Unfair advantage is a laughable concept from my perspective.

Exactly, I have yet to find a good recipe for making antlers taste great. I get that it's nice to take a buck with a big rack, but most hunters do it to fill their own ego and pride instead of what hunting was really about which was gathering food!

Baiting is illegal, so why stop at banning food plots and banning trail cameras, and inline muzzleloaders? Why not just man up and ban anything that allows you to kill a deer with anything other than your bare hands. Surely any "real" hunter would do just fine under those conditions.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    We don't need cops patrolling. We have enough tattlers to do it for them.

i agree with what a man does in his own property is his business. If he's doing something illegal let the law figure it out on their own. I don't know how out ansestera ever survived without the dnr. If the salt lick is still there when hunting season opens, do not hunt near it. There's no proof of wrong doing yet. Right?!

i don't like baiting period. Especially when they do it for bears. I don't think its hunting. But I especially wouldn't like living next to someone who runs my business to the law.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    i don't like baiting period. Especially when they do it for bears. I don't think its hunting. But I especially wouldn't like living next to someone who runs my business to the law.

If it makes you feel better, I've been on four baited black bear hunts (1 in Maine, 3 in Ontario) and have only seen bears on two of the hunts with an actual opportunity to take a shot at a bear once. It's easy to throw rocks at something you don't know anything about so I'm going to try to help you out. Most of the bear hunts I've been on have had other hunters in the camp the same week. All were hunting over bait usually the success rate is well under 50% for the week across the board. Hunting black bears is a completely different game than hunting deer and there is so much more to it that I can't even begin to take the time right now to explain. For the guys who go on a baited bear hunt and pop a bear within an hour of being in the stand, they are the very rare exception to the rule. The guys who go out and help the guides bait the stands and work the area get a better appreciation for everything that goes into it. Keeping in mind, just because you see an animal at a bait site, doesn't mean that you have to kill it. Thats a decision made by the hunter.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    Exactly, I have yet to find a good recipe for making antlers taste great. I get that it's nice to take a buck with a big rack, but most hunters do it to fill their own ego and pride instead of what hunting was really about which was gathering food!

Baiting is illegal, so why stop at banning food plots and banning trail cameras, and inline muzzleloaders? Why not just man up and ban anything that allows you to kill a deer with anything other than your bare hands. Surely any "real" hunter would do just fine under those conditions.

If hunting is more a sport then "unfair advantage" is a concept the hunter would use to challenge himself. I have no problem with that. Critters fill many roles in the environment but the one that is top on my list is to fill my belly. Since baiting is illegal, I won't do it. If that changes I probably would.

Regarding the op, I'd have a polite chat with the landowner informing him of what's going on and the possible legal repercussions.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    We don't need cops patrolling. We have enough tattlers to do it for them.

i agree with what a man does in his own property is his business. If he's doing something illegal let the law figure it out on their own. I don't know how out ansestera ever survived without the dnr. If the salt lick is still there when hunting season opens, do not hunt near it. There's no proof of wrong doing yet. Right?!

...and you've been on how many hunts for bears over bait?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Since baiting is illegal, I won't do it. If that changes I probably would.

Exactly the way I see it. I don't find baiting immoral, I find it illegal and it that changes I'll be happy to bring out the mineral blocks, piles of apples, corn, and whatever else gives me a better chance of feeding my family with some real food.

Maybe we should start talking to people about outlawing the use of putting a worm on a hook. It's trickery and baiting.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    With bait that close to your property line, chances are the deer will be moving across your property to get to it. I would put up a stand on your side of the property line at a strategic location and be happy. :)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    iSeekLight
    Top Bottom