• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mschlatter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    In the Barn
    Gotta love those guys. you know the ones that don't have a job and hate you for having one. Us darn Conservatives wit our guns and jobs and God and farms and... insert that crazy Howard Dean sound. They don't get it and never will. Rip the fence down man! I mean thats what I would do if I had Neighbors like that. Oh thats right I do. End rant.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Life in the country with crazy neighbors...................

Call the county office and ask if they have any laws for shooting in the country. From what I remember about your area, I think you are fine.

If there are no laws on the books, you should good to shoot.

Also, send a certified letter to your neighbor asking them to remove/ relocate the fence from your side of the property line. Give them X days and if they don't, pull it down yourself as long as you know it is really on your property line.

A while back my crazy neighor said I was shooting in a dangerous way and the crazy neighbor was in fear of thier lives..................

The police told the neighbor I was not.

For a few more Saturdays I went target shooting with Mosins at 9:01 AM with no other problems.

troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    Why not just introduce yourself to your neighbor with a friendly visit, handshake and smile. Tell them that you are making the rounds visiting neighbors to put their minds at ease about gunfire from your property. Let them know you are military police with many hours of firearm safety training and have made a safe shooting area and offer them to visit to check it out and perhaps offer any suggestions (while they are there offer to let them shoot) IF they do not show intrest or get irrate then look at your options. At least you tried and if things get ugly you use your visit to your advanage. (you might record your visit)

I introduced myself the first day I moved in, told them what i did in the army and that I was trained in firearms safety and have been shooting for several years the guy just kinda shrugged his shoulders and walked away. my wife has lived here for a few years before we got married and she has had problems with them before about them wanting her to pay to put up a fence in between theirs and our property on our side of the electric fence. I dont like to cause problems and usually stick to myself which is why I havent made a fuss about the electric fence.

mschlatter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    In the Barn
    It sounds like maybe he could use cultural diversity training. Your being discriminated against man. He's just a hater. Thanks for your service by the way!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Watch out on the fence issue, if he wants a new fence on a common property line you will be liable for half. This has come up before. I can't quote it and I'm too lazy to look it up but be fully versed in your legal actions and responsibilities before proceeding. Sounds like your neighbor is a total douche nozzle and knows just enough people to annoy the hell out of you. It's unfortunate that this is the way that the system works but how much will you be willing to spend to defend yourself against this tool and his nazi buddy?

Personally I'm all for your side, we have a lot of shooting going on around us all the time and one area has several people that practice bumpfiring all the time but all my neighbors are very into minding their own business and if there is a problem you know it because they're walking up to your door with a couple of beers for each of us to drink while we discuss it.

Damn I love my neighbors!!!

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    we live about 8 miles out of the city limits, if the officer wouldve actually went out back with me I wouldve showed him the backstop, I only shot about 20 rounds and couldve dug up the steel plate and showed him 20 dents, but apparently he is friends with the neighbor, according to our other neighbor these people call the cops for everything, yet they have about 15 cars sitting in their field, junk all over the place and the electric fence, I could be wrong but I always thought that if you put up and electric fence you had to have it 6 ft off the property line or have something in between it, if my son was to touch it there would be more than 20 rounds in the backyard lol

Place a grievance For unlawful operation of a junk yard in the county while being a communist ass bag! It will hold up in court I know I used to watch matlocK.

Or if they have stalls I would load up a few apples with a diuretic And let the horses "paint" a picture of appreciation in the barn.

troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    I would host a shoot but working keeps me busy most of the time, I plan on moving further out into the country in the next year or so Ill host a shoot then just bring a shovel and help me make some backstops

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Wait until you've cooled down before you make any decisions or take any action. Gather information on every aspect of this issue. This includes local ordinances, defining property lines, state law, etc. Consider the olive branch approach. I'm not talking about groveling or allowing yourself to be bullied. Instead, I'm talking about reaching out to someone that will be living adjacent to your land for years to come. Decide on a plan of action that asserts your rights. Be respectful ... remember, this could end up in the court of public opinion. You want "right" to be on your side.

I would also consider contacting a lawyer if your research leads you to believe that you are 100% in the right and you plan on excercising your rights. Come to think of it, it would be funny if your lawyer answered the door for you the next time a Deputy knocks on your door. Good luck!

troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    Im not to worried about the fence right now, So I wont be digging it up anytime soon, the shooting on the other hand I will be addressing tomorrow, after several PM's and conversations tonight with people who have had issues with the same officer I plan on contacting the department tomorrow about it. Id like conformation before I shoot just because I dont want a bad reputation in the town because I have current applications in at the county and city so I dont want to make to much trouble. Its just really dishearting that on the first day of shooting a new weapon it ended like that. I try to respect my neighbors and dont shoot to early or to late in the day and have offered my newest neighbor some lessons in shooting.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    IMHO - I think you should check to be SURE that you are 100% legal in everything you have going on there. If your satisfied to the point that you would be willing to defend yourself in court, then fire away.

I would not tear down fences, even if your within your rights and I would not go crazy doing more shooting then you normally would. I would simply carry on as I normally do like it never happened. I would not do extra things to push the point.

The police will come back and you will get your chance to prove your point calmly. They will come back the second time in a much more aggressive manner because you have dared to defy them. So you best be right about your range. But don't stop just because a police officer said you must if in fact your are legally within your rights.

Bottom line, be calm and do what you do. Don't stir up anything extra that gives them anything to talk to you about other than what you now know is legal. That will be sufficient to take the wind out of their sails. Then when everyone knows you are within your rights there won't be any other complaints like - He tore down the fence, etc.

Good luck to you and thank you for your military service. I sure appreciate it as does my family.:patriot:

troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    so been doing some more research on the backstop incase the neighbors keep it up, Havent found alot of info on em though, I think Ill increase the mound maybe dig up some more dirt and make my pile bigger, and add some ply wood and 2x4 and basically make a frame and get a bigger piece of steel. any ideas on a better set up? hoping I talk to the deputy chief tomorrow and he tells me not to worry about it but better safe than sorry.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Im not to worried about the fence right now, So I wont be digging it up anytime soon, the shooting on the other hand I will be addressing tomorrow, after several PM's and conversations tonight with people who have had issues with the same officer I plan on contacting the department tomorrow about it. Id like conformation before I shoot just because I dont want a bad reputation in the town because I have current applications in at the county and city so I dont want to make to much trouble. Its just really dishearting that on the first day of shooting a new weapon it ended like that. I try to respect my neighbors and dont shoot to early or to late in the day and have offered my newest neighbor some lessons in shooting.

This is the proper approach. If there have been issues with other folks by this same officer it needs to be addressed. I hope this all ends well for you.

troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    This is the proper approach. If there have been issues with other folks by this same officer it needs to be addressed. I hope this all ends well for you.

thanks, you know when I answered the door and automatically looked for rank ( army habbit) I responded the same way I would treat an army Captain, the usual Yes sir, No sir, Respect aspect. I waited and heard him out and then when I went to explain myself was interrupted and not given the proper respect or chance to show him my shooting area. kind of a let down that you expect people to show you the respect you show them instead of this, NOT bashing the department or disrespecting them in anyway, I appreciate what these officers do everyday.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I beleave that is refered to as the Homestead Act/law. MOST states have done away with it.
    It's called adverse possession, but they have to openly claim that the land is theirs (the fence might satisfy this) and pay taxes on the land as well (bet they're not doing that), etc. I believe Indiana still has this. You need to have this attended to ASAP.

On the other, I cannot think of a DNR law or rule that would cover shooting on private land. If there were a law on the books (including a Title 14 law), Captain Queeg could have cited you for it on the spot, no need to wait for DNR CO's to show up.

If there is a DNR rule, odds are they would not bother with a suit (which would be civil in nature), or if they did, the Administrative Law Judge would probably find against the department anyway if it came down to a hearing.

If you are interested, check IN.gov: Home and look under Title 14 on the Indiana Code, as well as Indiana Administrative Code section 312.

Indiana General Assembly - Indiana Register

And go ahead and call the local DNR CO and ask if he can tell you what law/rule you violated. Odds are he won't have an answer for you. Why/how a DNR regulation would cover private land is a puzzler.:scratch:

Your best bet is to contact the local DNR folks and ask.

Top Bottom