• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It does not hurt to call before you start. Let the sheriff (I believe you are outside city jurisdiction) know that you have a small range. Invite them to send someone out to inspect it. Helps if you have a buddy on the force. Ask if they want you to notify them when you are shooting. Most of the time they will say no, do not call.

It is all about building relationships, networking.

I imagine if you live in an area where people do not shoot much that might be a good idea. Where I live there are often people shooting. This time of year most nice days I will hear shooting.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I imagine if you live in an area where people do not shoot much that might be a good idea. Where I live there are often people shooting. This time of year most nice days I will hear shooting.

It still does not hurt to loop the local sheriff's office into the mix by letting them know that you have said facilities and will be shooting from time to time. That way if they do get a complaint, they can reply that we know that KLB does that, he is a good old boy.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    He has a horse farm, that is not the type of electrical fence that will send you to the hospital LOL!! My neighbor has a horse farm, and we have 6 horses ourselves. We have fun with his electrical fence every now and then. It is fun to put your finger in the ground and touch the fence, or grab someones hand and put it on the fence.

A stun gun is far more painful...

cintile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    I cant stand people like this, I would start by suing them over the fence. People are stupid

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Your a funny guy :)

OF COURSE if there is a huge mound of dirt there isnt a problem, but that isnt the case here as far as I understand it. The neighbor can SEE him. over his backstop.

My ONLY issue with this case is the insufficient backstop.

Again, if he can take a picture of him with his camera, than he can be shot.

My issue, is with the backstop.

Per your "theory" there are few if any places in Indiana where anyone could fire most of my high power rifles! A 20' high berm is of Zero protection for a house 2 or three miles away when I am firing my .308, 30-06, .243, 7.62 X 54R, .303, 7.5 X 55 etc. as all have an effective range over 2 miles and obviously I could (but never would) fire over the backstop. A backstop is only effective when used properly - targets at or very near the bottom, and the firearm aimed at the target. There are specifications for backstops - in many cases a person in a home on a hilltop a quarter of a mile away could easily "see or take a picture with a camera" of the shooter. Common sense should prevail -....

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    So got a new glock 23 yesterday, and took it out back today to do some shooting, to clarify i have 1 acre in the backyard and a 6ft hill used as a backstop, with the bottom being dug out and reinforced with steel plates in the dirt as well. there is a horse farm about 2 acres behind my property,( no horses were outside all in the barn and way out of my distance for shooting). and about 10 after I started I noticed the neighbor was out and taking pictures of my yard and me shooting. I didnt think much of it until the sheriff dept. banged on my door. I answered politely and was greeted by a captain of the sheriffs dept. who informed me Im not aloud to shoot on my property and that if i did i would be fined, I then asked if he would like to go out on my property and see my range, he informed me he didnt need to see it because the neighbors had already told him about my set up. He was very rude and when i enformed him that Im a military police officer and that I know firearms safety, he laughed and said so your one of those guys, told me if I shoot again the DNR would be called and I would receive a hefty fine and got in his car and left, sad part is the neighbors have had an electric fence on my property line for about 2 years that hangs over on my side and I have not once asked them to fix it. ( I cant let my 2 yr old play in the yard because of it). Some people just dont get it.

I could be wrong about this but if you let your neighbor leave his fence on your property for something like 7 years, he can claim that part of his property as his. I read this somewhere a long time ago with I was dealing with a fence issue. Look up the law.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I could be wrong about this but if you let your neighbor leave his fence on your property for something like 7 years, he can claim that part of his property as his. I read this somewhere a long time ago with I was dealing with a fence issue. Look up the law.

You may be right. I had this issue with a 3 ft. off set in my neighbors fence that was there when I bought my house. Tough toe-nails. You loose that part.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Holy Necromancer, Batman! It is a Zombie thread, resurrected for all to enjoy.

I would try sending the OP a PM to find out. Then start a new thread so we don't have to re-read the original.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Holy Necromancer, Batman! It is a Zombie thread, resurrected for all to enjoy.

I would try sending the OP a PM to find out. Then start a new thread so we don't have to re-read the original.
    Or you could just click on the "View First Unread" button and skip to the new posts.

Top Bottom