• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Me and my neighbor are going to the range to shoot pistols. Neighbor A has a LTCH. He is going to be the driver. He is bring his handguns. Neighbor B does not have a LTCH and is going to be the passenger. He is also going to bring his handguns too. How would you go about transporting the firearms. Also neighbor B used to have a LTCH but it expired.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Neighbor B does not have a LTCH and is going to be the passenger. He is also going to bring his handguns too. How would you go about transporting the firearms.

It's an easy as A, B, C.:)

But it is opitmal to . . . get the license.

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by a person convicted of domestic battery; exceptions
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
    (1) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person;
    (2) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body while lawfully present in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the person:
    (A) has the consent of the owner, renter, lessor, or person who legally controls the property to have the handgun on the premises;
    (B) is attending a firearms related event on the property, including a gun show, firearms expo, gun owner's club or convention, hunting club, shooting club, or training course; or
    (C) the person is on the property to receive firearms related services, including the repair, maintenance, or modification of a firearm;
    (3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;
    (4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (C) secured in a case; or
    (5) the person carries the handgun:
    (A) at a shooting range (as defined in IC 14-22-31.5-3);
    (B) while attending a firearms instructional course; or
    (C) while engaged in a legal hunting activity.
    (c) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun.
    (d) This section may be not construed:
    (1) to prohibit a person who owns, leases, rents, or otherwise legally controls private property from regulating or prohibiting the possession of firearms on the private property;
    (2) to allow a person to adopt or enforce an ordinance, resolution, policy, or rule that:
    (A) prohibits; or
    (B) has the effect of prohibiting;
    an employee of the person from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle, unless the person's adoption or enforcement of the ordinance, resolution, policy, or rule is allowed under IC 34-28-7-2(b); or
    (3) to allow a person to adopt or enforce a law, statute, ordinance, resolution, policy, or rule that allows a person to possess or transport a firearm or ammunition if the person is prohibited from possessing or transporting the firearm or ammunition by state or federal law.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    So reading the ABC neighbor B has to be unloaded, not in reach and in a case that does not need to be lock. Neighbor A can float around the car.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    I was just wondering about this the other day. Given this excerpt from the above post:

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by a person convicted of domestic battery; exceptions
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
    (4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (C) secured in a case; or
    (5) the person carries the handgun:
    (A) at a shooting range (as defined in IC 14-22-31.5-3);

What is the point in having a hunting and target permit anymore? If I read this correctly, a person can unload and stow their handgun in a case in the trunk and drive to the range and practice without any kind of handgun license at all.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    In the 1970s local police would ask for your reason to carry before they gave you the form. Unless you owned a business, handled large sums of case of valuables they would only give out the T&H form. I ran in to this situation with IPD when they were in the City/County building. 1st time I settled for the T&H. Meantime I was getting a divorce fleecing and told my attorney at the time (wish I could remember his name) how I was handled. He told me he was going over to the C/C building to file some stuff and we would walk over to IPD offices and ask for a form (I had been refused the form not an hour earlier by the same LEO). When the attorney spoke the desk officer quickly handed me the Personal Protection form without a word. I think that the existence of the T&H license was simply a way for the state to pacify those who were wrongly denied a CC license.

I gained a lot of respect for attorneys that day and lost a lot of respect for LE as well.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    In the 1970s local police would ask for your reason to carry before they gave you the form. Unless you owned a business, handled large sums of case of valuables they would only give out the T&H form. I ran in to this situation with IPD when they were in the City/County building. 1st time I settled for the T&H. Meantime I was getting a divorce fleecing and told my attorney at the time (wish I could remember his name) how I was handled. He told me he was going over to the C/C building to file some stuff and we would walk over to IPD offices and ask for a form (I had been refused the form not an hour earlier by the same LEO). When the attorney spoke the desk officer quickly handed me the Personal Protection form without a word. I think that the existence of the T&H license was simply a way for the state to pacify those who were wrongly denied a CC license.

I gained a lot of respect for attorneys that day and lost a lot of respect for LE as well.

:dunno:

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    I also had to give a reason for my first and second license applications. I went to the DNR website and found this information just as an example:

An individual may possess a handgun while chasing a raccoon or opossum during the chasing season if the individual possesses a valid unlimited license to carry a handgun issued under IC 35-47-2; or is not required to possess a license to carry a handgun under IC 35-47-2 :dunno:

Top Bottom