Nerve drugs, better shooting through chemistry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    One of the shooters at a local match is a head shrink of some sort.

I asked him about 1st stage jitters yesterday. I expected to get some traditional advice (think positive, mentally rehearse not acting like such a big *****, I'm not at work now just leave me alone, etc.). What he did say was that sometimes you can get your Doctor to prescribe a drug that is used for jitters control by some public performers and by some folks who have problems with speaking due to voice tremors. Supposed to have about a 3 - 4 hour duration and not to impair performance.

I'm more inclined to suffer from a problem than to actually do something to fix it, but the drug thing was interesting. Do shooters sometimes use it ?

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I agree, I will just suffer with the jitters. I think the jitters are sometimes a good thing, it keeps us on our toes. I have heard some of the top shooters say that they still get the jitters every once and a while.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    They're called beta blockers, and some musicians use them. Personally, although this won't fly in the shooting world, I usually down a shot of tequila before I hit the stage. That's what my doctor recommended. Lol.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Personally, although this won't fly in the shooting world, I usually down a shot of tequila before I hit the stage.

:)

Booze does not get fair credit as a performance drug. With billiards there always seemed to be a magic amount of beer consumption that would maximize your game, staying right on that fine peak was a challenge though.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    IMO the best way to deal with the jitters is to not go to the match at all and come up with a lame excuse like insomnia or something like that. :rolleyes:

Missed you at the match yesterday ;)

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    :)

Booze does not get fair credit as a performance drug. With billiards there always seemed to be a magic amount of beer consumption that would maximize your game, staying right on that fine peak was a challenge though.

Same with bowling and golf, at least for me.

Personally I'd avoid anything to "help" while shooting. Usually once the frist round is fired, I'm good. Granted I've only shot a handful of competitions.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    It's funny, I shot Friday night steel this past week and wrecked the first stage. While I was sitting there I thought "If I had a beer before I shot like I used to do when I bowled, I wonder if I would have done better?" I would never do that, but it got me thinking. I'm glad I saw this post tonight. -Jason

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I must have the lowest expectations of anyone in the game since the only jitters I ever feel during a match are whether or not I'm going to make it to the bathroom in time.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I agree, I will just suffer with the jitters. I think the jitters are sometimes a good thing, it keeps us on our toes. I have heard some of the top shooters say that they still get the jitters every once and a while.

Beta blockers have a side effect of fatigue and definately slow you decision process and your reflexes. That might be ok for conventional bullseye, but that is not what you want for action pistol events. They also affect your short term memory, can you tolerate more procedural violations?

A famous Bullseye shooter from Illinois, who was a national champion several times, carried a thermos with his beverage spiked with alcohol was run off several ranges towards the end of his carrer. His need for a "little" help to steady his nerves got so out of hand even a casual observer could tell he was under the influence.

It is better to just continue to train to deal with the stresses of a match, you will be able to control the jitters and function fully on your own. Do not underestimate the value of being fit, especially in the cardio vascular area.

Top Bottom