• ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Put on your big boy pants.

Man up you bunch of PW babies! Sit her down and give her a good listening-to then tell her the truth. You bought it for her so the two of you can spend more quality time together.

She does shoot doesn't she...........well, doesn't she?

You do have some big boy pants don't you........well, don't you?

OK. Never mind.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Man up you bunch of PW babies! Sit her down and give her a good listening-to then tell her the truth. You bought it for her so the two of you can spend more quality time together.

She does shoot doesn't she...........well, doesn't she?

You do have some big boy pants don't you........well, don't you?

OK. Never mind.

Hey watch IT!:D

I told her the 642 I bought a few months ago was for her because the XD40 I had was too complicated when seconds count. Then the Beretta was because I was showing off. The Colt AR was because "I was afraid they may stop selling them". So I do sit her down and tell her the "truth" all the time.:laugh:

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Sorry that this is a bit of a long read. But I had to share.

Well, I guess I'm the fortunate one of the bunch. My wife hasn't complained about my last three purchases this month. We were watching the TV about three weeks ago when a Henry Repeating Arms commercial came on. Keep in mind she isn't a "gun person" and after the commercial is over she says "I know you've wanted one of those for a long time. Why not order a catalogue"? My comment was "yeah, I'll go online and check it out." Found out there was a dealer close and mentioned I'll like to see one in person. Next day found us looking at the H0001 and a Golden Boy both in .22. She then says "this gold gun is kinda pretty" to which I said "yep, sure is". Next thing I hear is "why don't you just buy it. I know you've wanted a Henry for a long time" At this point I'm thinking to myself (who are you and what have you done with my wife). She say, "Pick the one you want but I like the shiny gold one". I chose the H0001 in blue. She's now out walking around looking at safes and accesories. Picks up a very nice cleaning kit and tells the clerk "add this on as well" She then grabs a Mossy Oak soft case and brings that to the counter. At this point I was frozen in place like a deer in the headlights. Then she tells me happy birthday and I say "uhh, my birthday was last month". She then say's "happy Friday" We loaded up the new gear and head out to dinner and home.

One week later I find myself in Beech Grove Firearms looking around and spy a Mosin. I ask how much (it's in terrific shape and stamped 1943 and was made at the IZZY armoury. They tell me the very good price and I walk out with a cosmoline coated historical treasure. Wondering how I'm going to justify this when I get home I came to the conclusion that I just hope I don't get shot with the Henry when I get home. I arrive home, bring in the huge box and say "your not going to believe this". I stopped by BGF and they had this historical WWII rifle. I tell her the story about the Mosins, open the box, mount the bayonet (it's now taller than she is) and ask how much do you think a historic weapon like this would go for complete with the bayonet, sling, oil and solvent can, tools, and ammo pouches? Keep in mind it's been refurbished at the armoury and been covered in cosmoline for almost seventy years. She says "350.00"?,..."nope, remember it's from WWII". She says "500.00?". "Nope, try 99 bucks. She say's "NO WAY!" and I show her the reciept. "you stole it!" she says. WOO HOO!

Flash forward to the Indy 1500, and my best buddy and I go on saturday. I found an excellent deal on an brand new AR 5.56/.223, but I resist bring home that stray thinking I SURE didn't want to push her good will. Bought a few hundred rounds of various ammo, a new custom fit belt...not much spent. When I get home I showed her my modest purchases and then told her I almost bought her an AR15. I tell her the deal on the price and she looks me straight in the eye and said "Why didn't you buy it??" Well when I came to and picked my self up from the floor I remember vaguely saying something like "well, we could go back tomorrow and pick it up" Next morning we're on our way to the show, go in, walk back to the booth where it was and it's gone. The vendor say's "I can build you an identical one in about 45 minutes if your serious about buying it...same price" Before I can say anything my better half said to him to "go ahead" and that we'll walk around and check out some other stuff. You could have knocked my over with a feather. 40 minutes later we're back, filled out the 4473 and the next thing you know we're on our way home with the AR and a few boxes of ammo.

On the drive home I had to ask, "Sweety, I know your not all that fond of guns. So why all of this within the month?" What she told me next literally brought a tear to my eye. She say's "all of our married life you've always put yourself behind the needs of our kids and me. Our kids have grown, married, and are doing quite fine on their own." "You've gladly sacrificed for us all these years, so now it's time to think of yourself a bit" Honestlyl, I felt a bit guilty. As any of you who have been responsible for your familys needs you know that putting yourself last just comes natural...not a tough thing to do. She then smiled and said "now it's your turn for a while...just don't go crazy" Then she say's "by the way don't worry, this is still going to cost you big time!" I felt better then. She now say's if she can learn from me she'll "probably" learn to shoot the Henry! She now has a unique one of a kind ring being designed and made for her...just in time for Christmas!

I'm a blessed man!

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Gunslinger - I cried through that whole story:laugh:.

Now for my real wife - In 2002 we were at home enjoying Christmas day together just me, my wife and 3 kids. After everything is opened my wife tells me there is one more thing for me and she hands me a card. Then she hands me keys to a brand new Ford F150 Supercrew 4x4 Lariat. Fully loaded with leather, power everything, bed extender and bed liner. and she has it parked in my neighbors pole barn hiding it for the last week!

My neighbor later said he went out there and looked at it and then went back into his wife and said "That thing has everything on it". That truck now has 225,000 miles on it and it has been awesome all the way.

My wife is like yours actually - very generous and I wouldn't trade her for any gun no matter how good of a deal it was:):

Good story, thanks for sharing it.:yesway:

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Bring it home tell her you bought some ammo. (Which you did for your new gun!:D) Then put it in the safe for a couple weeks and bring it out to clean the ''old faithful.'' You won't be lying because she never asked!

Arickosmo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Indy
    My latest strategy is to time it so that something for her arrives the same day as whatever I got for me. Friday, I've got some spiffy new grips arriving for my Sig. I've also got a new pair of shoes for her that's coming that same day.

More expensive, yes. But worth every penny. Happy wife, happy life.

THIS WORKS THE BEST!

Second is to tell her it's time to go get the (insert item/random bauble here) that she's been wanting. You've been saving up to do it for her. My safe is full of dishwashers, vacuums, purses, granite countertops, carpet, bedroom sets, trips to see relatives, etc...

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I know the feeling. I've been suffering from the same issue. It's only been < 1 month since my last purchase (Henry GB 22). I've been considering adding another pistol or shotgun. I've finally decided to not buy either of them. I'm stronger than that, I jsut bought one and don't need either of the other two options.
    So, I'm planning to get this one (Savage 110 BA LE 338 Lapua) by the spring... Perhaps I should get into some counseling. (I just bought her a new car, so I am good to go, right?)

savage-110-ba-338-lapua.jpg

Last edited:

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Oh yea. If she likes her new car then you are "good to go"

Gunslinger - I was just watching deer hunting on TV and the Henry commercial that you were talking about came on. I had the TV muted so I turned it up to watch it. Then I said yea there's a guy on the gun forum that saw that commercial and then he and his wife went and got one. I said that's why I turned it up because I was hoping you would say the same thing. THen she said "if you want one get one":D

Well, I not really going to but that was a good sign.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    I can't believe you all are so selfish!

I buy guns for HER. She has better pistols that I do. She has the bug now. She wants something smaller that she can carry, the last two are nice and she does not want to get rid of them, but they are too big to carry all of the time, the LCP is too small (for her not for me), she doesn't really want to get rid of any of the ones that she has, they all have their purpose, but she wants too look at the LC9. We are going to do that today.

Of course someone has to take them out and play with them once in a while, shoot them, carry them, clean them and put them away.

When Hobama was elected she looked at me and said, "We need to buy more guns and ammunition!"

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My wife rarely asks any more. After picking up two more at the 1500 this weekend, she did ask how many that makes and I gave her the usual 'I don't know'. Of course I know, but I don't care to talk numbers with her. I have my hobbies, she has hers.

I can relate to the OPs need. I had not bought anything in months and there was a definite need for a new gun fix. For the last two months, I just could not find anything that was worth parting with cash for but this weekend ended up buying a black powder revolver (Pietta 1860 Army) and a 1903 Colt. This was my first black powder revolver and I love the thing. It gives a real appreciation for modern firearms but is still a very nice gun to shoot. It takes about 5 minutes to load, but I like that. Slow and steady with BP.

"My very first pistol was a cap 'n ball Colt.
    Shoot as fast as lightnin' but she loads a might slow.
    She loads a might slow... I soon found out...
    Getcha into trouble but it can't getcha out."
    --Steve Earle ;)

Top Bottom