Netflix is the Devil, and Roku its minion!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    We watch our Roku boxes more than anything else on the tv. My kids are weird, they'd rather watch tv on their ipads in bed than in the home theater in the basement.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My kids paid for a year of Netflix with some Christmas money. We watch through the X-Box. Once this season of Justified is over, I want to ditch Direct TV, get a Roku, and sign up for Amazon Prime.

We watched Super Troopers last night for the 1000th time.:laugh:

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    We ditched Dish in November and use only netflix through the PS3 and Roku. Honestly I don't see much on netflix I'm interested in. I'm working through all seasons of Top Gear right now cause it's the only thing on there that interests me. And I've seen all those episodes before. But, my wife loves netflix.

Jason

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    snorko if you like orange is the new black, try "weeds" same person does both shows, also i have to add "sons of anarchy"and "longmire", its a shame they dont have justified, but they have it on amazon prime, and since you have a kinda warped sense of humor(like me!) archer is about the funniest thing on netflix!

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Oh, my GF and I burned through all the seasons of Weeds a while back. I have been getting seasons of shows from the library for years. I was going to try and not get into any new shows during the week, but when I got home last night, SHE, who had Presidents day off, was knee deep into American Horror Story.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    Don't forget Breaking Bad and the first 4 seasons of Dexter.

I second Archer being the funniest thing on Netflix but just can't get into Bob's Burgers.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Chromecast is pretty cool too and only $35. It doesn't provide an interface like the Roku, but definitely cool. It is a little key-fob size device that plugs into your HDMI port. Open up Netflix on your phone, pad, computer, etc., hit the Chromecast button and it streams to your TV. So you use your phone (or whatever other device) for the user interface and then it tells the Chromecast what to stream from where.

If you guys like the Roku, get the Plex app for it and setup a Plex server. I recently set one up and am loving it. I am looking forward to packing all my DVDs and Blurays in the attic. Plex streams your own personal content (over your local network or internet) to whatever device you want to watch it on (Roku, Chromecast, phone, tablet, etc.). I filled up my first 2TB of HDD space and need to buy myself another (bigger) drive. I am encoding my DVDs in H.264 which gets them down to about 2GB each without noticeable quality loss, but I leave my Blurays uncompressed, so they are between 20-30GB each. I am streaming with a Roku in the family room and with a Chromecast on the other TVs. The Roku works much better for my kids since they can browser the movies on the TV, but the Chromecast is fine in the bedroom.

~Jeff~

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I cancelled Dish several months ago and just have a $10 antenna and a Roku with Netflix and about 40 other (free) channels I've added. We absolutely love it and don't miss the $100 a month for a bunch of channels we don't watch. Can't imagine ever paying for cable of satellite again. Roku is awesome.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    If you like firefly, don't overlook Buffy and Angel, totally shocking how good those shows were (buffy had to get a few seasons under her belt before it got real good, but still great show). I think the movie "Cabin in the Woods" might be on netflix, if so, another great Joss Whedon thing.

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    Plex is awesome as I too can attest. I do not know what the pull is when streaming. Let me test. On my computer I just started a stream of a movie in Plex, CPU went from 1% to 3-4% max, but mainly 2-3%. I'm also downloading 8gb in the background right now, while surfing here and stremaing in the background. Not bad all. :) Also of note, Plex has plugins for tv channels like ABC, NMC and such so my wife watch a few TV shows from earlier in the day on Plex each night. Pretty cool how that part also works, I think that gets used more than streaming video in our house at least. You Tube app and more also.

I get free internet, and canceled all TV about 1.5 years ago. Bought three Rokus for a total of $170. I now pay for Hulu, Netflix and that's it. I also get Amazon Prime streaming, but that is basically a waste if you have the other two.

Next, I'm VERY eager to see Aereo ( https://aereo.com/ ) come to Indy, then I'll get live tv+dvr for $8 too, so for $24 a month I have everything I ever want to watch. I can't get anything on antenna due to house location so Aereo will be amazing for the local news and such. Saving well over $100 a month over my old cable or satellite bill is amazing. Long live Roku!

Last edited:

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    cabin in the woods is on netflix, as is the complete series of dexter (reply to upthread posts). i've been off dish and on roku for about 1.5 years now. there are some great things on netflix, and some complete crap, but i don't foresee going back to satellite or cable again.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    I finally joined the 21[SUP]st[/SUP] century. Late January My GF and I found a great deal on a modest 42" flat screen TV, my first. Up until then I had a 32" tube set.

Last week I had internet installed. That’s right, until last week snorko’s home was a luddite paradise - no cable, no internet, etc.

Saturday afternoon Fed-Ex dropped off the new Roku box.

Got NOTHING done this weekend, unless you count bathing (once) and watching the entire first season of "Orange is the new Black" as well as selected Dr. Who and West Wing episodes. I always liked binge watching over waiting each week for the next episode and now I don’t even have to go to the library.

I spent half an hour just thinking of movies and tv shows then searching for them. If you ever saw the "Portlandia" episode called "One More Episode" you have an idea of my future life. Time to burn through BSG again, maybe a weekend marathon mash up of Firefly and Deep Space Nine. What’s that? 18 seasons of classic Dr. Who available? Don’t mind if I do.

Awesome, but my 77yr old grandma had one before you:p

Top Bottom