Netflix is the Devil, and Roku its minion!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Chromecast is pretty cool too and only $35. It doesn't provide an interface like the Roku, but definitely cool. It is a little key-fob size device that plugs into your HDMI port. Open up Netflix on your phone, pad, computer, etc., hit the Chromecast button and it streams to your TV. So you use your phone (or whatever other device) for the user interface and then it tells the Chromecast what to stream from where.

If you guys like the Roku, get the Plex app for it and setup a Plex server. I recently set one up and am loving it. I am looking forward to packing all my DVDs and Blurays in the attic. Plex streams your own personal content (over your local network or internet) to whatever device you want to watch it on (Roku, Chromecast, phone, tablet, etc.). I filled up my first 2TB of HDD space and need to buy myself another (bigger) drive. I am encoding my DVDs in H.264 which gets them down to about 2GB each without noticeable quality loss, but I leave my Blurays uncompressed, so they are between 20-30GB each. I am streaming with a Roku in the family room and with a Chromecast on the other TVs. The Roku works much better for my kids since they can browser the movies on the TV, but the Chromecast is fine in the bedroom.

Wow, I am not that old(54), but this sounds like a foreign language to me! lol.

I want to watch my local news, the Weather Channel with my local on the 8's, and the Olympics. Can I do that with Roku, Chromecast, Hulu, netflix, whatever? And without a computer hooked to the TV?

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Last week I had internet installed. That’s right, until last week snorko’s home was a luddite paradise - no cable, no internet, etc.

snorko
    supporter.gif

reputation_green.gif

2,915 posts with no internet? :D ;)

Bob2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010

I want to watch my local news, the Weather Channel with my local on the 8's, and the Olympics. Can I do that with Roku, Chromecast, Hulu, netflix, whatever? And without a computer hooked to the TV?

Local hi-def channels are available free with an antenna. Don't think you can get the weather channel anywhere free, but not sure.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN

The rabbit ears still poke out from behind my flatscreen. I get 14 local channels.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    We got rid of cable TV but kept the cable internet. I bought a Mohu Leaf Ultimate antenna ($69) which I attached to the window nearest the TV. Can't even see there's an antenna attached to the TV. We get probably 29 channels or so with it. HD looks great. Sometimes the signal dropped from weather or whatever reason so I bought a package of (2) ferrite cores at Radio Shack for $3 and placed one on each end of the cable to the Antenna and it's signal amplifier box. Signal got much better but still had a few hiccups. Did a little research and found that signal amplifiers sometimes boost too much RF noise. So then I wrapped the little amp box with a few layers of aluminum foil. Totally got rid of all problems. All the channels work great now.

I have an Apple TV2 box we use to watch netflix and other things. It connects to my PC over the Wifi when I want to stream something from my PC library. If it's a file type that Apple doesn't like, I stream it to my PS3. If my PS3 doesn't like the file, I use an app on my Ipad to stream from my PC to the Apple TV. Overall a pretty good setup with just about all my bases covered when there's something I really want to watch.

~Jeff~

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I just wish there was a solution for the sports fans out there. I don't watch many tv shows / series.

There is.

They have the Watch ESPN channel on Roku for free. All you have to do is use the log in for someone that has a participating cable provider and you're all set. I use my sisters and watch everything I want to watch....no cost.

Also JustinTV, Livestream, and there's others that have sports that are free as well.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    There is.

They have the Watch ESPN channel on Roku for free. All you have to do is use the log in for someone that has a participating cable provider and you're all set. I use my sisters and watch everything I want to watch....no cost.

Whose your sister? :):

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Netflix is the devil. But I have to say I absolutely love it. Still kinda pissed that they took Southpark off though. That was my "go-to" for mindless background noise while folding laundry and stuff. This winter I got caught up on Walking Dead, watched all of Breaking Bad, 2 episodes left of Orange is the New Black, and would like to start House of Cards soon. I honestly never really got into tv shows till this year. I donate plasma (for money) twice a week and I watch Netflix for an hour or so before work while I sit there. Makes time go past really quickly!

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Yeah, Orange is the new black is done, I am into the second/final season of Continuum. Several other post apocalyptic series in my que. More surprising to me has been what is not there.

The scary thing is I have yet to really venture outside Netflix. So many more options.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Was at Kroger buying groceries last week....they had a little impulse thing called "Rabbit TV" by the cash register. It's a little USB fob that you plug into your PC and you have access to piles and piles of old TV shows, movies, etc etc etc....the thing was $9.99 - not sure it will work on a TV set though.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I finally joined the 21[SUP]st[/SUP] century. Late January My GF and I found a great deal on a modest 42" flat screen TV, my first. Up until then I had a 32" tube set.

Last week I had internet installed. That’s right, until last week snorko’s home was a luddite paradise - no cable, no internet, etc.

Saturday afternoon Fed-Ex dropped off the new Roku box.

Got NOTHING done this weekend, unless you count bathing (once) and watching the entire first season of "Orange is the new Black" as well as selected Dr. Who and West Wing episodes. I always liked binge watching over waiting each week for the next episode and now I don’t even have to go to the library.

I spent half an hour just thinking of movies and tv shows then searching for them. If you ever saw the "Portlandia" episode called "One More Episode" you have an idea of my future life. Time to burn through BSG again, maybe a weekend marathon mash up of Firefly and Deep Space Nine. What’s that? 18 seasons of classic Dr. Who available? Don’t mind if I do.

Been doing a Lie to Me marathon. Good show.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom