• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    I have shot factory loads into the dirt, just to have empty brass to reload. Sad to think that their are people carrying Guns that do not understand reloading.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Well someone suggested that because factory ammo was mass produced it was inferior so I figured I would remind them that primers were mass produced as well.

OK, but that's just stating the obvious. To do so, without also noting that primers are remarkably reliable, is pointless. Ammunition, as a whole, and primers in particular, whether mass-produced in a factory or handloaded with meticulous care, is very safe and reliable stuff. In the world of commercial goods, ammo has an incredibly low failure rate, as do primers.

For you to state that primers sometimes fail is like saying some people win small jackpots on lottery scratch-offs. Yeah, they do...so what? Except for being duly noted, it's simply not germane to the conversation.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Well someone suggested that because factory ammo was mass produced it was inferior so I figured I would remind them that primers were mass produced as well.

Some people reload primers as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7nphPRG6JA

You do realize that the only thing a primer can do is not discharge correct? There is no "over" powder charge, or a problem that can actually harm a person with a bad primer. Also, as Broom_JM stated, bad primers are found less than .01% of the time. I've never experienced a bad primer (except in factory loaded ammunition). EVER. My only squib was one that I reloaded. Guess who I got upset with? Me. It was my fault, but at least it was a no powder charge instead of a double from the factory that could have blown my freaking hand off.

Also, brass, powder, and projectiles (other than people who cast their own) are also mass produced. You know the biggest difference between what a reloader can do compared to someone buying ammo off the shelf? You can inspect every little detail of every component before putting that round together.

Crack in the brass? We throw it away. Primer is a different color on the inside? We throw it away. Powder smells funny and a few kernels aren't the same shape or color as the rest? We throw it away. Projectile has a giant freaking dent in it? We throw it away.

You're right in one thing though. Just about everything is mass produced. Anything can happen with it and it's out of our control. Sometimes it's just better to have 100 rounds of .40 for $16.00 compared to $34.00 and know that if something wrong happens, it's not going to hurt you.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had a factory handgun round with a primer flipped a couple of yrs ago
    Never had a problem with any of my reloads (been doing it since I was a kid).
    Saw a couple guys have squibs last yr.........fairly new factory Rem 9 and .40 bought at big box store.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    And oh yeah, look who the OP is in that argumentative thread as well! Surprise, surprise!:n00b:[/QUOTE]

I didnt go down the road of reloads vs factory ammo all I was doing was sharing and expeirence I had. Then some others came in and Hijacked the thread and turned it into a reloader vs factory ammo argument.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Relative to the title of the post, the last time I shot purchased reloads I KB'd a Glock 23. The only reloads I shoot now are the ones I make.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I didnt go down the road of reloads vs factory ammo all I was doing was sharing and expeirence I had. Then some others came in and Hijacked the thread and turned it into a reloader vs factory ammo argument.

You went down that road with the title bud. :) Never buy reloads!!

Unfortunately when you put an entire group of people into the same pot as a 1 time screw up, this is what you get. While it may not have been your original intention, just as the other thread wasn't your intention as another OC vs CC debate, the words were there to make it what it is now.

While your experience with reloaded ammunition was bad, there are many people who have had nothing but good experiences. It's just the way of the world. :dunno: However if I were you, who got that round, I'd feel the same way. I just wouldn't tell other people not to EVER buy reloads. Just as you are free to state your opinion and not buy reloaded ammo, the American civilization is free to do the complete opposite. :)

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I've seen XtremeVel's reloading set up and watched him run a few...and I've shot a handful of his reloads.
    Same for Jay's, and since he's the one who showed me the reloading ropes, I've shot tons of his and vice verse. If I had occasion to test Aszerigan's method's, judging from his informative posts here, I'd likely have no problem with shooting reloads made by him.
    I don't see a reason to discourage buying reloads from trusted sources, but I'd still stand by my statement of never using "UNKNOWN" ones. That just seems like a disaster waiting to happen. But that's my opinion that works for *me*...but I'm really picky and judgmental. :D

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    You went down that road with the title bud. :) Never buy reloads!!

Unfortunately when you put an entire group of people into the same pot as a 1 time screw up, this is what you get. While it may not have been your original intention, just as the other thread wasn't your intention as another OC vs CC debate, the words were there to make it what it is now.

While your experience with reloaded ammunition was bad, there are many people who have had nothing but good experiences. It's just the way of the world. :dunno: However if I were you, who got that round, I'd feel the same way. I just wouldn't tell other people not to EVER buy reloads. Just as you are free to state your opinion and not buy reloaded ammo, the American civilization is free to do the complete opposite. :)

I reload I love reloading I never said not to reload but buying them from people even if you know them is risky buisness. Its just my opinion I dont know were all the hostility comes from on these forums it seems that everyone is entitled to their opinion until some disagrees with you.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I think it stems from the fact that you are passing off your opinions as fact and ignoring everyone else's opinions because they don't match yours.

But hey... what would I know. I do know that I smell trollhouse cookies though.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    There is always going to be an understood risk associated with shooting yours or anyone elses reloads. In the event of a double charge the outcome would be the same regardless of who reloaded the round and the liability will still be on the gun owner's shoulders. (or face - or hand).

If a person would rather trust factory ammo instead of a reload that is a valid choice and more power to them.

It is also your right to buy an over priced bag of cotton candy at the 4-H fair for $4.00 as opposed to buying a machine and making your own for pennies. I understand the difference in danger level but the principle is the same.

Chances are that anyone willing to go to the time, trouble, and expense to acquire the tools and knowledge to reload ammunition (and actually stick with it) is going to have an attention to detail and commitment to his\her own safety.

Of course the key word is "chance". And you take it any time you pick up a firearm and shoot it regardless of the source of ammunition.

FWIW I would trust the reloads of a couple good friends of mine sooner than I would trust most factory ammo to be loaded 'properly'.

:twocents:

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    And oh yeah, look who the OP is in that argumentative thread as well! Surprise, surprise!:n00b:

I didnt go down the road of reloads vs factory ammo all I was doing was sharing [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] AN not AND expeirence I had. Then some others came in and Hijacked the thread and turned it into a reloader vs factory ammo argument.[/QUOTE]

Do me a favor, if you are going to quote someone, don't FRACK it up when you take out text.

it must start with(start with this [quote)=Namehere;posthumberhere(then one of these things ]) blah blah blah [/quote] It's pretty easy to stop hitting the backspace, or to highlight the correct text that you want to delete with the mouse. Heck you can even change stuff inside it pretty dang easy....

It's getting to where I don't even want to;
    A. Read any of your posts good info or bad info
    B. Think that you are a tool
    C. See A and B

edit: can't really put the html commands for a quote in without it making it a quote!

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    I've seen XtremeVel's reloading set up and watched him run a few...and I've shot a handful of his reloads.
    Same for Jay's, and since he's the one who showed me the reloading ropes, I've shot tons of his and vice verse. If I had occasion to test Aszerigan's method's, judging from his informative posts here, I'd likely have no problem with shooting reloads made by him.
    I don't see a reason to discourage buying reloads from trusted sources, but I'd still stand by my statement of never using "UNKNOWN" ones. That just seems like a disaster waiting to happen. But that's my opinion that works for *me*...but I'm really picky and judgmental. :D

You left out the Monkey, never shoot the Monkey's reloads, as everyone knows that the Monkey loads with poo!

ekg98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    I have a winchester factory loaded 223 round that looks like they took a claw hammer to it. I got in a fresh box of factory ammo just that way off the line! Does matter where you get your ammo from. They can have issues with primers, powder charges or other issues typically with the projectile.

Top Bottom