• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heatman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Sheridan
    Just bought a new 10/22 today. I've got and old Marlin bolt action and a 39A but this is my first semi-auto 22lr. Just wondering what ammo the 10/22 prefers or maybe I should ask if there are some to stay away from. Picked up some cheap Winchester Wildcat's today but haven't shot it yet.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My 10/22 eats the cheap stuff just fine. Remington, Winchester or Federal bulk packs with 525 rounds all go bang. Of course, there are some FTFs, but that is the ammo, not the rifle.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    .22s can be picky. Best to try small boxes of different types and find out what yours likes. Mine really likes the Federal bulk packs, but isn't happy with CCI mini mags that many others like.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    The white box Federal Auto Match shoots the most accurate out of my 30yo 10/22. I shot several different ammo brands thru it one day including high priced match ammo, auto match was the best.
    Still shoot it a lot, bulk packs work fine too. Been running Blazer thru it lately without any flaws. Had some Winchester Wildcat and had 4 out of 100 fail to feed last sunday.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Haven't had an issue with any ammo brands through mine, though I usually end up sticking to winchester or federal bulk packs

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I've been shooting the Winchester 555 bulk packs, only issues have been with the occasional round (1 or 2 per box) that's about 1/4 as long as the rest, like there wasn't enough lead in the mold but QC didn't catch it. It was way too short to feed out of the magazine and with it's disc not bullet shape I wouldn't want to fire it and have it damage the barrel.

My next trip out (probably next weekend weather permitting, and midway trigger parts order arrived) I will be giving the Federal 550 pack a try, so I will report back on how that goes.

heatman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Sheridan
    Thanks guys. Just got back from Walmart. Went just to buy a cheap Tasco scope and weaver rings. Also picked up a 550 pack of the Federal .22lr. Man, went planning to spend around $50 and left spending $160 all gun related. Just getting back into guns at 48 years old and really have the bug again! Hitting the range in the morning!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Bulk is fine for plinking. With some experimenting you'll find which bulk pack it shoots most consistently.

If you're looking for absolute best accuracy, try some RWS subsonic or Rifle Match. Wolf match target is usually the most consistent for $ spent in my experience. There is a fellow on Rimfire Central that goes by Nemohunter who will rechamber and recrown your stock bbl if you're really looking to keep it looking stock and shooting lights out.:rockwoot:

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    All I know is that I have an older 10/22 and it shoots about anything pretty accurate, I use a plated bulk ammo and not much else, shoots 2-3 inch group at 50 yards pretty easily

Top Bottom