• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1942 K98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Shelbytucky
    10/22's are great rifles, thats what we started with a couple years ago. Evcen though we moved to the more high powered rifles, as Dorian Gray said, they are still great guns to plink with, plus the ammo is cheap too! :yesway:

Christian

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    The best and cheapest mod I made were the drop in trigger parts. I've got two 10/22's, one with Power Custom parts and the other with VQ parts. Both shoot amazingly with just these "anyone can do it" drops in's. I would let him get use to the rifle as is, then make the mods after he's done some shooting with it, it'll help him recognize the difference (plus anyone can shoot a top notch gun at least decent). Helping him to get good on a mediocre rifle will help to make him superb on a great rifle. My third 10/22 is a complete custom build that is top notch from start to finish (it's not finished yet, lol) but learning to shoot on the "lesser" with only make your disciplines and habits easier to control with the "better" rifle. Congrats and best of luck on the many father-son range trips in the future. My kids are still a little young, but they're already asking when they can go shoot with mom and dad, lol.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN USA
    Which model did you get? I'm debating on my son 13th birthday present as well.

I intentionally got him the most basic model. I am hoping he will get excited about improving it and making it his own. I hope it will help him learn the value of a dollar, and the requirements to earn that dollar.
    We shot it at Roush Lake today. It was fairly busy today, and he didn't do as well as he had hoped. It was his first time with a rifle and iron sights. He was trying to support himself on the bench, but it was jumping every time a big gun went off. I hope to get him down there again this week, when it is a little quieter.

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    I remember my first rifle, a .22 bolt action my father got me for Christmas many years ago. I still have that rifle, and you could buy every other gun in my collection, but that one, probably the one worth the least amount of money (or close), is one I will never sell.

infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    We just Purchased my son a Ruger 10/22 Carbine today for his 15th birthday. Had fun sighting in his scope and putting the lead down range. My daughter is now saying that she wants a pink one for her birthday..so if anyone has one they want to sell.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    now to find a scope we can both live with. I want a better scope, he has a 13 year old's budget.

I put a Barska Plinker 22 Series 4x32 scope on my nephews .22 and he has been very happy with it. < $40 on Amazon. Turned it into a nice squirrel and plinking gun. Although, all my 10/22s have Tech Sights instead of scopes.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    now to find a scope we can both live with. I want a better scope, he has a 13 year old's budget.

After quite a bit of looking I decided to put a Simmons 22 Mag 3-9x32 scope on mine. Very pleased with it especially for just under $40 (I think that's what it was). If you do some research, I think you'll see that it's pretty well-respected for a .22 rifle. I did buy some weaver rings though, cause I don't care for tip-off style rings.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    My oldest boy got a keystone cricket for his 8th Christmas. I made him master decent groups with iron sights before I put a scope on it for him. After 2 seasons with open sights, I was confident that he was ready for optics. (Not making him master iron sights would be a dis-service IMHO.) I perhaps went a little overboard, as I tend to do, and put a bushnell 3-9x40 on it! He's 12 now, and is big enough for a fullsize rifle, and will probably inherit my fully built 10/22 soon. Win win in my book, as that will give me justifiable reason to build another one! (Hopefully my wife sees it the same way!)
    Congrats to your boy on obtaining the finest in semi-auto rimfire rifles!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Congrats! I have two on which I put mods. I've been thinking of getting the new stainless takedown model just to keep in the truck. But you can't go wrong in getting a 10/22...lots of history and memories with those rifles.

Top Bottom