• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dw357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    I'm sure there are countless posts about the 10/22s, but... I bought the standard birch and blued model with a bushnell 3x9 scope and a 3 pound trigger job for 200 bucks. Was this a good deal? I've always wanted a ruger because of all the options for it. Not got the chance to shoot it yet but I was wondering if it is worth the money to put a bull barrel on it. If it is any suggestions for as cheap as I can go? I'm definatly going to get a new stock becuase the carbine one is just too short for me, but I dont want to buy one for the standard barrel if the bull barrel is the better way to go in the end. Thanks.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Hello

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am no expert but I do own a few and do make some mods to mine.
    Ok it is always a good deal if you think it is. That being said go to the Ruger website and you can look up the serial number to see when it was produced. Anything made before 2008 will have a metal trigger group and is a little more desireable to some folks because some of the aftermarket parts fit a lot easier and it can be polished or painted,
    If you are going to use the gun for strictly target shooting then a bull barrel will fill your needs. If you are going to use it for hunting then unless you want you buy a carbon barrel I would stick with the standard barrel. Carbon barrels are a little pricey.
    I always replace the bolt stop pin with a urethane bolt buffer. It will quiet down the bolt and stop the vibration from the gun from affecting your scope.
    I also install an extended mag release and an auto bolt release.
    There are all sorts of stocks available and also a piece to replace the plastis plate on the butt of the carbine stock. It will add 1" lop to the stock.
    Check out RimfireCentral.com and you can find info on doing most modifications yourself. There are also a couple of guys that can rework your standard barrel and make a great shooter out of it.
    Hope this helps

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    you can get some pretty good accuracy out of a bull barrel, but you should see what it does with the factory barrel first. If you can't get five shots or so on a dime @ 50 yds, then a bull barrel will probably help.

dw357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    I ordered a polyurethane bolt buffer from the yellow jacket company today, I hope it gets here soon.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    CHIEF AJ. In 1993, I sent him the first gun I had ever bought in 1980, a 10/22 with a walnut stock.. He jeweled the action, trigger job, shortened the trigger and put in a trigger stop, mounted a burris 1.5x scout scope and put a harmonic compensator to dampen the noise. All this ran $350 on my gun back then.

The gun shoots quieter than any 22 I have ever fired. Accuracy is ridiculously tight in field conditions, I am head shooting everything inside 75 yards including pigeons. Every friend or acquaintance who shoots it gets that grin....and quite a few of them have tried to buy it from me. If the Chief is still doing 1022 work, call him. You will not be disappointed. He is a former Marine and President's 100 shooter and a true gentleman.

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    i heard you can just file a portion of the oem bolt hold open part and it will work the same as buying the auto bolt realease part. is this true?

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    There used to be a nice middle ground option for putting together a 10/22 field gun with the enhanced accuracy of a quality 0.920" barrel but without a good deal of the additional weight that also didn't involve spending 1.5 times the cost of a standard carbine on a carbon fiber composite barrel.

Cabela's had a Butler Creek package called the "Light Varminter" consisting of a tapered (0.920" at the breech to 0.750" at the muzzle) 18" barrel and a "classic-style" synthetic stock. It ran about $150 in chrome moly and $160 in stainless, IIRC.

I installed it on one of the Wally World "International" models I bought when they were closing them out and it's worked out very nicely, IMO. The rifle weighs 7lb 6.5oz with a Tasco 'World Class' 3x9 scope, Weaver-style mount and sling and balances just forward of the magazine. With its preferred ammo, it will turn out 5-shot groups under 1/2" ( and a few as small as 3/8" if I'm having a really good day) from a bench and bags at 50 yds. The trigger group has a Volquartsen action kit installed and the trigger breaks consistently at 2.28# measured with a Lyman digital gauge.

I still think I put way too much money into it, but it's been a dandy field gun and lots of fun to shoot.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Simon 6101,

Thanks for letting me know. He did some work for me on a few Rugers, and I had a few long talks with him. He always sent back a personal note with the rifle he tuned up that let you know he cared how the gun came out.

The Chief knew the Lord, and I have to believe he is on the hunt of his life with no limits right now. Semper Fidelis. He was a great guy.

DanO

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Chief AJ

Chief was a regular on RimfireCentral.com and was extremely knowledgeable. The guys over there took it real hard when he went to the Happy Hunting grounds. he has several world records for shooting that will be very hard to beat.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    rimfirecentral.com is the best source for learning about 10/22's. it all depends on your budget and your ultimate goal. i have 6 10/22's and 2 77/22's and one of my 10/22's does not even have one ruger part in it. that one has a MOA receiver, kidd trigger, kidd bolt, power custom bolt handle, kidd bolt buffer, douglas AA 1" barrel threaded into receiver, harrells barrel tuner, von ahrens tuner weight kit, dednutz one piece scope mount, sightron big sky 36 power scope, richards microfit stock filled with lead in grip and buttstock, (weighs about 20 lbs). shoot off of a bench rest with one and two piece rests at usbr and psl targets at 25 and 50 yards. the x dot is .100 and .080 respectively. i was trying to get to a point that i could compete against the bolt guns, and sadly decided the clackers couldn't do it. so i now have a suhl with a benchmark barrel.....daryll

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    Extended mag release can be done with a drill, tap and a 1/4 x 28 shoulder bolt as well.

My :twocents: - I believe you will find that little stock 10/22 carbine is more accurate than you are. You can put a lot of money into it if want, but I would keep it simple with a good GI type sling, extended mag release, auto bolt release and stock mags.
    Try adding some length to the stock with a recoil pad and last, you may need to build up the stock if scope is sitting too high for proper eye alignment. (If that turns out to be a problem just PM any of the Appleseed instructors for a quick, non-damaging way to do that):D

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have been wanting a cheap plinking rifle for some time and debated between the Remington 597 and the Ruger 10/22 for some time. Finally I pulled the trigger a few weeks ago and bought one of the factory Rugers with the Tapco stock already installed. I decided on the Ruger because it has tons of aftermarket items available fairly cheap and a friend has had some accuracy issues with his 597. I threw an old Red Dot scope I had on it and a grip/bipod.

I finally got to shoot it today for the first time and it was terrific. I had used the bore sight on the scope before going out and I was on the paper from the start. I had a nice grouping especially for one that hasn't been broken in at all right out of the box.

I am feeling good about my choice for the 10/22. Here's a simple picture at the range of what I've put together.

picture.php

Last edited:
    Top Bottom