• ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hi all -
    Let me start by saying that I don't own a .22mag (WMR), if I did, I woudn't be asking this question.

So, I was thinking about getting a 22 mag, then moved on to considering a 17 HMR, and then (yes, it sounds like I have A.D.H.D.) I was considering the new 17 Hornet from Hornady, which is based off of a modified 22 Hornet case (centerfire, different shoulder angle, necked down to .17 cal). Savage makes a great walking varminter in this cal, I think it's their model 25 if memory serves.

So, after playing musical chairs among these calibers, I thought maybe it would just be worth it to getting a basic reloading setup and download 223, instead of a whole new gun & caliber.
    This would be a fun gun, light varmint/coon gun, maybe a pack gun, etc.

any input? does anyone own the 17 Hornet (not asking about the 17 HMR here)
    thanks.

Last edited:

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The reloading route is a good start. You could get set up for less than the cost of a new rifle and save on ammo in the long run. There is a lot of info on downloading 223 out there. If you were to go the 17 Hornet route reloading would be a good idea anyway because you probably won't find that on the shelves of just any LGS.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The reloading route is a good start. You could get set up for less than the cost of a new rifle and save on ammo in the long run. There is a lot of info on downloading 223 out there. If you were to go the 17 Hornet route reloading would be a good idea anyway because you probably won't find that on the shelves of just any LGS.

Unfortunately the problem right now is getting powder, primers and bullets to reload with. Every store I've been in lately has had an abundance of .22 mag and .17 HMR. So for me, I'd pick up a new rifle.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I would set up and re-load the .223. I'm not sure how the barrel will hold up with the 17 Hornet. Some of the real hot 22 calibers had some real problems with short barrel life and I know a lot of the 17 HMR's had problems fouling after shooting just a few (less than 10 rounds) and losing accuracy until cleaned. Guess they have solved that issue with cleaner powder, but I would still be concerned about barrel life with a hot .17. Besides once you start reloading you will have a new hobby and the cost of shooting will cut in less than half!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    With the 17 cal you are going to need a 17 cal cleaning rod.

The 17 hornady is a basic 17 ca wildcat based on the 22 Hornet., There were a bunch of them now it looks like a big maker wants to make it one factory round and they have done a good job of it. in 17 caliber it might just be one of the best of the 17 or sub rounds.

A word of advice mainly on 17 rem (Much bigger case than the 17 hor) mine was a great shooter for 7 to 8 rounds. A rem 700 classic in 17 rem. I had both copper and moly fouling issues. I tried all type of bullets and reduced and increased speeds, inlisted help from other handloaders and a few gunsmiths.

Finally one gun smith had a nice bore scope. It seems that my rem 700 barrels rifling had ver rough machining to the rifling. Causing it to copper foul badly. He said i could have him lap it and see if he could clean it up. I traded it off for a rem 700 in .222 rem and I could not be happier with the trade. I don't get those coyote entrance wounds with no exit but I can shoot this one all summer without having to clean the barrel all the time. it also is more accurate at 222 yards than the 17 rem.

I believe that the 17 cal barrels are far hard to maching correctly. Many custom shops that cater to sub cal gunners charge more for 17 cal stuff the 19, 20 or 22 caliber barrels.

I would check out that barrel very well before buying. I also believe the savage makes some great factory barrels and the 17 hornet will not be as tough on them as compaired to the 17 rem.

Top Bottom