• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charleybravo56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Nashville
    I am an experienced shooter and have carried many, many pistols, however; this is my first 1911. It is a Colt nickle plated Combat Commander, model 70. I have practiced with it and have became quite comfortable with its operation, but have not graduated to "locked and loaded". Any tips or support would be appreciated.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Great gun. Locked and loaded is the way they were designed to be carried. You're good to go.
    Just shoot, carry, and familiarize yourself with it like any other gun.
    Congrats on the 70 series. Getting harder and harder to find. I've got a couple and they'll NEVER leave.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Shoot it, shoot it, shoot it! And about 1000 holster draws (CHECK THE GUN IS UNLOADED) will get you used to sweeping the thumb safety off without having to think about it, and another 1000 or so will get you adept at it.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The term "cocked and locked", also known as condition 1, is one of the more common ways to carry this design.

You should research quality, comfortable holsters and find what is best for your bodytype and activity. Holsters are not created equal and body types are not equal either.

jballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Shoot it, shoot it, shoot it! And about 1000 holster draws (CHECK THE GUN IS UNLOADED) will get you used to sweeping the thumb safety off without having to think about it, and another 1000 or so will get you adept at it.

Good idea about the safety, but I took it a step further. I actually trained myself to shoot with my thumb resting on the safety. Evidently a lot of pro's do it as well. Not sure why they do it, but I do it so that I don't have to think or train to take the safety off. When I'm up and ready to fire, it's already off. :draw:

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    Detail strip the gun one time and look at how the safety fits between the sear leg and the frame of the gun. With the safety on, the sear can't move and the gun can't fire. It really is a good design. From 1911 untill the birth of the Glock no one questioned cocked and locked carry, and that was because no one had a reason to.

And...they still don't.

ftbstrd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Yorktown/Muncie
    1911s

Great Gun! Welcome to the 1911 club! My grandfather had one as I was growing up and started my love for them! Condition 1 will be comfortable before you know it! ;)

HandyAndy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Fort Wayne (SWAC)
    :welcome:to:ingo:
    9k=

I work for one of the fine counties here in northern Indiana and this is the design of our department holsters. I figured it may ease your mind to see the fact that they are not only safe in this condition, but in fact these holsters are designed for condition 1 carry. The retention strap will not work in any other condition. As you can imagine, we do a lot of moving around, bumping into things, and in and out of the car with these and I do not know of any instances where a pistol has discharged in a holster. :cool:

https://plus.google.com/photos/1115...ms/5843924286508078417?authkey=CL2BjaDr7KzSAg

9k=

Last edited:
    Top Bottom