• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Okay, its not an Ed Brown or even a Springfield, but it is my first 1911 in 9mm. Its a RIA 1911M1 FS Tactical with the black grips.

Picked up the RIA full size tactical yesterday at Meeks Guns in Fort Branch. I had made the mistake of stopping there on my way to KY last Friday afternoon. Thought I could do without another gun, but evidently I was wrong. Contacted them as soon as I reached my destination and asked if they would hold it back until I came back through on Wednesday. They eagerly did so. So yesterday I completed the transaction.

What sold me? Why another 1911? My first 1911 was a RIA in 45 acp that I thought was a great buy. Sold it to help fund a SA RO in 45acp (really like this gun). Picked up another RIA, but a used compact style. Also a nice find. I had been thinking of a 1911 in 9mm just for kicks. They had this one sitting in the case, black soft grips and all (much better than their cheap looking wood grips). With the first rack of the slide the solid, smooth fit was noticed. No play in the barrel with closed up. Everything was solid. Felt as nice as my RO ... and the price was $300 less than an RO they had in the case. And finally, I just like the feel of that all steel 1911.

Took it to the range this morning and was very, very pleased. Granted the sights will need to be changed (the plain dark front sight is hard for me to pick up), but in all other ways it was positive. Cycled flawlessly. No failures going through 100 rounds of misc. factory ammo. Accuracy was very respectable. (Should improve once I get sights I can pick-up easier.) Shoots were pulling a little to the left, but that may well have been caused by me and lack of range time last 3-4 months. As expected with a 9mm, recoil was minimal and gun quickly came back on target. The soft grips offer a surface for a solid hold while being not too aggressive.

I believe the fit and quality of this RIA is better than my first one. Based upon what I have in hand, RIA is making a very nice gun for a very affordable price.

If you get a chance, give Meeks Guns a visit. Nice guys. Very eager to help, but could ignore you if you wanted to look without interruption. No hard sale. Prices pretty respectable. Selection not bad. Need a few more revolvers, especially 44mag. Even had some powder on the shelf, some of which I also left with.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Everyone that buys a new RIA 1911 seems to really like them. I'm planning on getting the convertible 9mm/.22 TCM combo at some point.
    You WILL enjoy the 9mm/22TCM.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Okay, its not an Ed Brown or even a Springfield, but it is my first 1911 in 9mm. Its a RIA 1911M1 FS Tactical with the black grips.

Picked up the RIA full size tactical yesterday at Meeks Guns in Fort Branch. I had made the mistake of stopping there on my way to KY last Friday afternoon. Thought I could do without another gun, but evidently I was wrong. Contacted them as soon as I reached my destination and asked if they would hold it back until I came back through on Wednesday. They eagerly did so. So yesterday I completed the transaction.

What sold me? Why another 1911? My first 1911 was a RIA in 45 acp that I thought was a great buy. Sold it to help fund a SA RO in 45acp (really like this gun). Picked up another RIA, but a used compact style. Also a nice find. I had been thinking of a 1911 in 9mm just for kicks. They had this one sitting in the case, black soft grips and all (much better than their cheap looking wood grips). With the first rack of the slide the solid, smooth fit was noticed. No play in the barrel with closed up. Everything was solid. Felt as nice as my RO ... and the price was $300 less than an RO they had in the case. And finally, I just like the feel of that all steel 1911.

Took it to the range this morning and was very, very pleased. Granted the sights will need to be changed (the plain dark front sight is hard for me to pick up), but in all other ways it was positive. Cycled flawlessly. No failures going through 100 rounds of misc. factory ammo. Accuracy was very respectable. (Should improve once I get sights I can pick-up easier.) Shoots were pulling a little to the left, but that may well have been caused by me and lack of range time last 3-4 months. As expected with a 9mm, recoil was minimal and gun quickly came back on target. The soft grips offer a surface for a solid hold while being not too aggressive.

I believe the fit and quality of this RIA is better than my first one. Based upon what I have in hand, RIA is making a very nice gun for a very affordable price.

If you get a chance, give Meeks Guns a visit. Nice guys. Very eager to help, but could ignore you if you wanted to look without interruption. No hard sale. Prices pretty respectable. Selection not bad. Need a few more revolvers, especially 44mag. Even had some powder on the shelf, some of which I also left with.

:postpics:

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have had my RIA for a few months now and it has been a perfect surprise. I do not need that extra barrel length to get the accuracy I want , because I can shoot the lights out with this thing. I painted a green dot until I get my fiber optic on it. If someone says hit that fly on the paper this would be my go too, love this little guy. I liked the grips so much that I took off my nice thin wood grips off and put them back on. Jim

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    I have had my RIA for a few months now and it has been a perfect surprise. I do not need that extra barrel length to get the accuracy I want , because I can shoot the lights out with this thing. I painted a green dot until I get my fiber optic on it. If someone says hit that fly on the paper this would be my go too, love this little guy. I liked the grips so much that I took off my nice thin wood grips off and put them back on. Jim

Nice looking acquisition!

Top Bottom