• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My EDC gun is one of drillsgt's builds. I've been running the crap out of it and trying to wear the Ceracoat off of it.

w680.jpg

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    drillsgt reworked my tired old Colt 1991 Compact into a thing of beauty. Wanting him to look at my 10mm/40 S&W Fusion next. ;) :yesway:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Thanks everybody for the compliments, I do like my 1911 projects. Unfortunately to build my new dream gun I usually have to sell one off so i'm glad they find good homes! Colt556 your welcome any time to stop by and we can tinker with that thing. I don't know if he's official yet but i've seen AllenM post some nice builds plus he has his FFL now so he can accept work wheras I can't (not yet at least ;)).

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Yup, AllenM is top notch too. He does excellent refinishing work too. I had the 10mm with me yesterday but didn't run into you at the show. We can do it after the holidays sometime. Maybe meet again at Highsmiths and shoot it.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Yup, AllenM is top notch too. He does excellent refinishing work too. I had the 10mm with me yesterday but didn't run into you at the show. We can do it after the holidays sometime. Maybe meet again at Highsmiths and shoot it.

He's going to get my series 70 here shortly for refinishing. We can look at the 10mm here, no law that says I can't help you work on it while you're here. It's been a long time since I shot a 10mm though.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    He's going to get my series 70 here shortly for refinishing. We can look at the 10mm here, no law that says I can't help you work on it while you're here. It's been a long time since I shot a 10mm though.

Yeah. I understand. I just wanted to show it to ya and you can give me some advice. Like I said, no worries. :yesway:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Awesome job! I have enjoyed following along. what do you end up with money wise in to a project like that? Your Skills are amazing! I would proudly own one of your creations.

Gino66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    SWIN
    Recently built a 1911 from scratch, with the Pro's from Brownells looking over my shoulder. Caspian was my choice, and i have a REAL appreciation for the craftsmanship you display. i fully understand why the custom build are so expensive.......lots of TLC, elbow grease, and effort there. My next build is an AR from scratch, and I hope to remember the photo documentation as you have.....that is cool!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Awesome job! I have enjoyed following along. what do you end up with money wise in to a project like that? Your Skills are amazing! I would proudly own one of your creations.

There's a lot of variables in the final cost but in the pistol shown, including refinish, I had around 1100.00 in it. The frame/slide was a Remsport and its hit and miss because they supply frames/slides to a lot of your custom shops and they sell overruns when they do a batch for those companies. For this one it looks to be an overrun from Nighthawk, it has the slide serrations, sight cuts, frame checkering and other machining pre-done and I got it all shipped for less than 400.00. After that I used all high quality components and essentially ended up with a NH Talon for well under half price. That will give you an idea of how much overhead and labor that you are investing in a custom above and beyond the cost of the parts themselves. I also have all the tooling one would ever need for each specific job. If you planned it right though and had a lot of the work predone before shipping, and got lucky with things like "drop in" ignition sets etc you could get by with just an assortment of files.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    There's a lot of variables in the final cost but in the pistol shown, including refinish, I had around 1100.00 in it. The frame/slide was a Remsport and its hit and miss because they supply frames/slides to a lot of your custom shops and they sell overruns when they do a batch for those companies. For this one it looks to be an overrun from Nighthawk, it has the slide serrations, sight cuts, frame checkering and other machining pre-done and I got it all shipped for less than 400.00. After that I used all high quality components and essentially ended up with a NH Talon for well under half price. That will give you an idea of how much overhead and labor that you are investing in a custom above and beyond the cost of the parts themselves. I also have all the tooling one would ever need for each specific job. If you planned it right though and had a lot of the work predone before shipping, and got lucky with things like "drop in" ignition sets etc you could get by with just an assortment of files.

If you feel like building another 1911 project I would love to work with you on one. I have a lot of machanical skills and some machining but nothing great enough that I would try it without a lot of help. I am not looking for free work either. Let me know. I am a true 1911 lover. I will carry one till the day i die!

Thanks for sharing your awesome project.

tornrebel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Indiana
    I am looking for a frame and slide for an old 1911 I have for a rebuild. Do you have any good information on where and what I should look into purchasing. Websites, used parts, etc?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    If you feel like building another 1911 project I would love to work with you on one. I have a lot of machanical skills and some machining but nothing great enough that I would try it without a lot of help. I am not looking for free work either. Let me know. I am a true 1911 lover. I will carry one till the day i die!

Thanks for sharing your awesome project.

I don't have an FFL so I can't really do any work for you but i'm always more than happy to help somebody out, I have a lot of 1911 specific tooling etc.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I am looking for a frame and slide for an old 1911 I have for a rebuild. Do you have any good information on where and what I should look into purchasing. Websites, used parts, etc?

There are a lot of resources out there like Brownells, Caspians website, Fusion, and Remsport has a facebook page but no website just have to call and see what he has at the time. There are a lot of 1911 specific websites also that are great.

tornrebel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Indiana
    There are a lot of resources out there like Brownells, Caspians website, Fusion, and Remsport has a facebook page but no website just have to call and see what he has at the time. There are a lot of 1911 specific websites also that are great.

Thanks for the information and I am looking forward to getting started

45acp223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    SE IN.
    DrillSgt, I enjoyed following your build thread, great work! Your finished project is a beauty! I have an older built-up 1911A1 with a Caspian frame and not sure what slide it is. I've used it for bullseye competition for years and it's everything I can ask for....except the looks. It looks like a well used piece and for some reason the frame just never took a good bluing job. The slide is a nice dark blue, but the frame has a kind of a slight red tint to it. My cold blueing job looks good for a few months and then it kind of starts to show again. Did the company you used for your finish work polish everything up before they work their magic, or do you have to send the parts to them already polished? I think after all these years, my favorite 1911A1 deserves a re-finish.

Top Bottom